DOG NAIL TRIMMING - HELP?

Options
2»

Replies

• shaynemann39
    Options
    thank you so much everyone for your responses.. definitely a few tricks I havent tried yet -- I dohave clipeprs and have tried calming him, working up to it with treats etc..he is fine with me/the clippers but once one is snipped he knows whats going on and freaks out. vet is over an hour away so I was trying to avoid going unless absolutely necessary. Thanks again everyone!
  • BrightEyesx3
    BrightEyesx3 Posts: 335
    Options
    Used to work at a vets office so I know what you're dog is like! At first get him used to you touching his paws and his nails and such. Then after I would start using a nail grinder, not clippers, to slowly get him used to the feeling. Take it one nail at a time and slowly. Start grinding the nail by just doing the tip, that way his nails get shorter and you don't go up to the nerve endings possibly causing him pain. Because he is that strong I suggest you get someone who is able to hold him down (or get two people if need be) while you are trimming his nails. Its a tough thing to do but like they say old dogs can learn new tricks. Hope things work out for you!