Getting Ahead

Options
sktllmdrhmz
sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
So, the idea that pretty people get ahead in life based on their looks is pretty commonplace, right?

Do you think that's fair or unfair?

Now obviously, this topic might just separate itself with pretty people saying it's fair on one side and ugly people saying it's unfair on the other side,

Are any of you hoping or maybe even planning to use your newfound looks to get ahead?

I, for one, am aware of how much effort goes into being fit, and when I get to that point I will very happily reap any benefits it might provide without a second thought.

Replies

• sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options

I, for one, am aware of how much effort goes into being fit, and when I get to that point I will very happily reap any benefits it might provide without a second thought.

I bloody effing love you. And they way I see it, beauty is a tool and I'm merciless in using any tools I have at my disposal for success.

Some people might think it's unfair, but *kitten*, if you don't want to pay be "pretty" work on your body. *shrug*
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    I like getting head.
  • Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I don't really know a clear-cut answer to this question.

I know that when I get to the best possible shape of my life, I'll work whatever I'm wearing a little more. Maybe flash a little b00b to get out of a ticket lol.

Is it fair? No, but it's human nature. We like pretty, appealing things whether it's rings, clothes, pets, homes, people. It's just who we are as a species.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I know that my workplace values health and fitness. If that gets me a promotion or more respect or a bigger budget to bring the non-profit venues I represent into light -- cool! If it gets someone to stop and help me change a tire in the rain -- also cool. If it gets me extra special service (no happy endings) at a diner -- I'm ok with that. Do I think it will.... eh, probably somewhere along the time. Do I think it's 'right'.... I'm not particularly swayed either way. I give people the inside scoop on events coming up if I like the sound of their voice on the phone. I let people cut ahead of me in line if they are haggard looking worn-out parent types that are dragging screaming kids through the store. We all tend to let things slide for some people and not for others. For me, it's a case by case basis.

I have been made aware that I've sparked a trend among my co-workers to track calories, get extra exercise, ask for a specifc exercise room where we will bring extra equipment, weights, and workout DVDs and that I've helped people sign up for a service that our health insurance provides where active members get discount points on stuff we can buy. This made me feel good and want to continue my efforts of getting healthy to set an example for other people.... whatever else comes along, I'm darn well keeping though!
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I like getting head.

and this.... this also applies in most cases :D LOL
  • r3ban1x
    r3ban1x Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I was very pretty and thin in my 20's and it got me nowhere. I was also very stubborn and independent and didn't want help from anyone so when people would offer me jobs I wouldn't take them b/c I thought I could do it on my own but that turned out to be wrong as I'm in a worse place financially now than I was 10 years ago and now I have a college degree. Most interviews I had were either with women who were harder on me because of my looks or with men who expected me to use my looks to sell useless crap so they could make a lot of money. If life is "easier" for pretty people it's because they take advantage of it which I didn't do but probably should have.
  • shelbiejo
    shelbiejo Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It is so fair. I seen a picture once that had before and afters of a group of women. The before pictures were of these overweight, old and weathered looking women....The afters were these gorgeous, fit and young women...THE SAME WOMEN! And it had a quote at the bottom "There is not such thing as an ugly women, just a lazy women." I loved it!
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I'm totally guilty of having high respect (just on sight) for people who put in the effort to be fit and take care of themselves . . . that being said, that respect can easily be stripped away as soon as that person opens their mouth.

In my career, how I look is very important every day. If I look like hell, it won't matter what kind of brilliance comes out of my mouth, some people will have already made up their minds.
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    So, the idea that pretty people get ahead in life based on their looks is pretty commonplace, right?

Do you think that's fair or unfair?

Now obviously, this topic might just separate itself with pretty people saying it's fair on one side and ugly people saying it's unfair on the other side,

Are any of you hoping or maybe even planning to use your newfound looks to get ahead?

well as fairness is being defined as something that holds itself to regulations and standards, then in this case fairness is derived from the values portrayed by society and it's clear that society shows being attractive as a positive thing as many people that are in the regularly media are only there because of their looks; nothing else at all. I myself view it in the same way as using your intelligence to get ahead in life.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Smart people get WAY further than pretty people. Ever seen the Forbes richest people list? Ever notice most world leaders? Not a lot of pretty faces there.

But to your original point, I see no problem with using your looks to your advantage. Though, in my experience, in some careers, being super-attractive isn't always a good thing. It can result in being ostracized instead of promoted on your merit.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Smart people get WAY further than pretty people. Ever seen the Forbes richest people list? Not a lot of pretty faces there.

Exactly. There are much better skill sets to have than simple attractiveness. Beauty fades.
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Smart people get WAY further than pretty people. Ever seen the Forbes richest people list? Not a lot of pretty faces there.

But what about smart pretty people? Because there are a lot of tall people there.

I haven't checked Gladwell's sources, but:

"In fact Malcolm Gladwell in his bestselling book Blink takes this argument to another level. "I polled about half of the companies on the Fortune 500 list, asking each company questions about its CEO. In my sample, I found that on average CEOs were just a shade under six feet. Given that the average American male is 5'9" that means that CEOs, as a group, have about three inches on the rest of their sex. But this statistic actually understates matters. In the U.S. population, about 14.5% of all men are six feet or over. Among CEOs of Fortune 500 companies, that number is 58%. Even more strikingly, in the general American population, 3.9% of adult men are 6'2" or taller. Among my CEO sample, 30% were 6'2" or taller," writes Gladwell."

ETA link to interesting general article:
    http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2011-09-30/news/30229082_1_ceos-necktie-salaries
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Smart people get WAY further than pretty people. Ever seen the Forbes richest people list? Ever notice most world leaders? Not a lot of pretty faces there.

It's funny that people associate success and being smart. Usually, it's just dumb luck. Some of the smartest people I know are the poorest. It's not smart that our society rewards, it's something else.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Now obviously, this topic might just separate itself with pretty people saying it's fair on one side and ugly people saying it's unfair on the other side

Shallow much? You're not just talking about having respect for people who are fit and healthy. You're talking about people's looks. It also depends on what you consider "success" or "getting ahead". I find people who are smart, kind, humble regardless of how "pretty" they are to be more successful in life.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

But what about smart pretty people? Because there are a lot of tall people there.

"In fact Malcolm Gladwell in his bestselling book Blink takes this argument to another level. "I polled about half of the companies on the Fortune 500 list, asking each company questions about its CEO. In my sample, I found that on average CEOs were just a shade under six feet. Given that the average American male is 5'9" that means that CEOs, as a group, have about three inches on the rest of their sex. But this statistic actually understates matters. In the U.S. population, about 14.5% of all men are six feet or over. Among CEOs of Fortune 500 companies, that number is 58%. Even more strikingly, in the general American population, 3.9% of adult men are 6'2" or taller. Among my CEO sample, 30% were 6'2" or taller," writes Gladwell."

You posted about attractive people and then quoted studies about tall people. Forgive me if I don't follow...

Intelligent and attractive people would of couse do very well, but that would mostly be due to their intelligence. Looks don't hurt but unless it's specifically a looks based career (acting, modeling, etc.) you just aren't going to get very far based on looks alone. Again they don't hurt, but you need something more to back them up.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

They may be taller statistically, but they didn't get there by being tall. That's my point. They got there by being smart, resourceful, and wise. I have no doubt than an average guy who is extremely good at his job and clever enough could be a very successful CEO making a ton of money (and according to those statistics, that's still true). In the end, it matters more what you DO than what you look like if you want to get to the very top in life.

My field is academia, and I can tell you straight up that most of my colleagues and the people who are "superstars" in our community of scientists are not attractive. What they do have is a lot of cleverness and a lot of dedication to their job. Looks only get you so far in life. The prettiest person in the room may get your attention initially, but if he/she can't do the job as well as someone else who isn't as attractive, they won't hold that job for long.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

It's funny that people associate success and being smart. Usually, it's just dumb luck. Some of the smartest people I know are the poorest. It's not smart that our society rewards, it's something else.

It takes a lot of brains to be at the top in any career. It also takes courage, a willingness to dedicate yourself to being the best at what you do, and the wisdom to know what to do and when to do it. Society DOES reward cleverness. Thinking that people get there "by dumb luck" is why a lot of people stay poor and never succeed in life. Luck is only a small part of it. It's hard work, cleverness, and passion that gets you there.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Nah pretty only gets you aheads in certain arenas. If you wanted to be successful in, say, the inbred backwoods horror movie genre, then you can get successful even if one eye is way out of line with the other.
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    so at my next job interview I should wear a fitting skirt and pretend I know something about aerospace engineering :sad:
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I'm totally guilty of having high respect (just on sight) for people who put in the effort to be fit and take care of themselves . . . that being said, that respect can easily be stripped away as soon as that person opens their mouth.

In my career, how I look is very important every day. If I look like hell, it won't matter what kind of brilliance comes out of my mouth, some people will have already made up their minds.

love this, and your profile picture haha