Do runners really need gel?

Options
I've been running a 5K for about a week now (slowly building up to it with C25K for the past 9 weeks), and haven't really noticed any problems with energy during the run. I hydrate before, and usually hydrate after and eat a little something to replenish calories burned. However, reading through some of the forums, it looks like some people bring gels with them to drink while they are running? To avoid hyponatremia? I know hyponatremia is a very real condition, but can it really happen in 30 minutes? From what I've learned in nursing school, that's not really possible as long as you eat sodium throughout the day, but have any of you had experience in this area that contradicts what I think I know? lol Thanks!

Replies

• kuregisto
    kuregisto Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't bother with them for any running events/training that isn't going to be well past an hour.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Unless you are running for more than 2 hours, its probably unnecessary for most.
  • jmoneycgt
    jmoneycgt Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Not for a 5K. You shouldn't have to "carb up" or have special gels for 30-45 minutes of exercise. Just eat normal and make sure you are hydrated
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't bother with them for any running events/training that isn't going to be well past an hour.

I agree I dont think they are necessary for anything under and hour
  • sonniedee
    sonniedee Posts: 26
    Options
    I have only used them when running distances over 7 or 8 miles. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't need them for 5K (plus they taste icky!).
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I like the beans. I have tried to gel, just to get something in my in an AM race. It just really makes me super thirsty. So not for a 5k. but I'd really suggest trying some out on practice runs to see how you react. . just bring some H2O.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I can't see the need for gels for a 5K or 10K run, even without carb loading (assuming you're eating a reasonably balanced diet) you've got plenty of glycogen in reserve. Most of my training runs are early in the morning in a fasted state and I don't feel unusually fatigued after a 10km run but everyone is different - if it gives you a psychological boost why not?

Here's an interesting article you may want to read:

"Similarly, another study published in the Journal of Physiology demonstrated that during a cycling time trial, participants were able to complete the exercise significantly faster when they rinsed their mouths with a glucose or maltodextrin carbohydrate solution than when they rinsed with an identical looking and tasting placebo."

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=21020
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You only need gels when you are running past the point of glycogen depletion in your legs. This takes 90 to 120 minutes to happen. Taking gels on shorter runs serves no real purpose except to add calories to your daily total.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I used goo when I used to paddle outrigger. That was only for >4 hour competitions though.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    You only need gels when you are running past the point of glycogen depletion in your legs. This takes 90 to 120 minutes to happen. Taking gels on shorter runs serves no real purpose except to add calories to your daily total.

This.

And even after depletion, you don't "need" the gels. They just provide energy that is easier to use. I believe in deprivation training. Let the body get used to running without giving it additional calories. Then, on race day, use them to give you a boost. I do one or two practice training runs with the gel I plan to use on race day, but other than that, I don't use them for any training run of any length, up to 22 miles.

For races on Half Marathon and longer, I'll use gels. HM, usually one 15 minutes prior to the start and one at an hour. Marathon, one 15 minutes prior and then one every 45 minutes.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I've run 20 mile training runs w/o gels with no issue.
    I took a couple runs to make sure my stomach had no issues for race day, but otherwise trained as much as possible without them
    Certainly no need on distances under a half
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    5k isn't enough for that. A half marathon, maybe. I'm still skeptical about all that stuff.
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Back when I could run longer than 90 minutes....I needed something after that point. I tried several things and the thing I loved best was the honeystingers energy chews they are a little pricey but I didn't use them often. Still have some that I bring on long hikes. Hope to use them running again sometime!
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I'm only a beginner myself, really. I recently ran my first 10k (not a race), and that took me approximately 80 minutes and I was fine energy-wise. Also didn't drink on the way around. Just me, running for 80 minutes.

10k is the most I ever plan to run, so I know that I can do it without hydration or additional calories now. I'm not sure when I'd need to start topping up on water or calories, but I felt like I could have gone a bit longer than my 10k at least.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

This.

And even after depletion, you don't "need" the gels. They just provide energy that is easier to use. I believe in deprivation training. Let the body get used to running without giving it additional calories. Then, on race day, use them to give you a boost. I do one or two practice training runs with the gel I plan to use on race day, but other than that, I don't use them for any training run of any length, up to 22 miles.

For races on Half Marathon and longer, I'll use gels. HM, usually one 15 minutes prior to the start and one at an hour. Marathon, one 15 minutes prior and then one every 45 minutes.

I'm a big fan as well of deprivation training. I take it a step further and even eat low carb during the week and carb-up on the weekends. There are confounding variables at play, but I feel like I'm on a PED when I carb-up for a run after several days of lower glycogen stores.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I didn't use them at all when I first started running and training for half marathons. About 4 months ago a friend told me try a Clif Shot Blok about an hour or so into a 9 mile run.... and man, did that make a difference for me. I no longer struggled through the last mile or two of my long runs.

That being said, I don't use Shot Bloks or the Clif Gels unless I'm going to be running for more than hour.
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    You don't need any electrolyte supplementation for a 5k. I only eat when my runs go longer than 1.5 hours. And I never use Gu (gels). I don't like the taste and it upsets my stomach. I usually bring a Clif bar and eat it in small pieces along the way.
  • abhiforlife
    abhiforlife Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've had no trouble running 5ks without any water at all (and I'm not nearly athletic either).
  • little_princess
    little_princess Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am training for a half marathon (race day in 1.5 weeks!! Eeeeekk!!) I have taken gels last weekend on my long run, to make sure it did not upset my stomach. Other than that, i train without them. On Race day, I will have one after 45 min, then another after the next 45 min! i might bring a third and see if I need it!
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I'm interested reading this, I'm no athlete by any means and I'm new to running it takes me 45 min to do a 5K, I have a 10K race this Sunday so last Sunday i did a long run 14K this is the furthest I've ever gone and I know for some of you that's just a morning stroll lol

towards the end of my 14k my hamstrings were telling me to give up so instead of continuing on the track which had a steepish incline coming up for the final 2k i came off the track and on to the road as i knew this would be a flat ending, anyhows i had to stop to allow a car to pass before crossing the road and my legs started to shake and i honestly thought i was going to collapse

I completed the 14k then continued to walk home where i had an ice bath and a protein shake to help recovery it took me 2hrs to complete and i did take a bottle of water with me, which actually helped to ward off a dog not on a lead, but that's another story.

Ive actually bought a gel sachet for this Sundays 10k which i was planning on taking at about 6-7k mark should i take one about an hour before also?