Rest Days?

Options
Okay, How often do you take rest days from working out?

Last week, I worked out everyday and pushed myself to burn more. I burned 11,941 calories last week. But, I feel tired everyday..as I am getting in shape.

What do you think are the benefits of a rest day?

I would like to hear your views on this.
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    Rest when you're tired - I don't mean slack off and I-don't-feel-like-it tired. I mean, I couldn't walk another mile tired.

Listen to your body - trust me on this - I wound up on my butt for almost 3 months at the end of last year because I pushed too hard!
  • SwimTheButterfly
    SwimTheButterfly Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Thanks Mel, I am soooooo exhausted today. Been really pushing it. I need a rest day. Woman has got to do what she has to do . :flowerforyou:
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Take a rest day. You won't get any long term benefits if you don't allow your body to recover. Never resting is a recipe for overtraining and injury.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Yes, take a rest day if you're that worn down. Not only have you gone passed the law of dimishing returns. The likelyhood of injury goes up. Not just from over use, but you'll have bad form, and if you're an oaf like me you'll get more clumsy than you already are in your normal activities.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    You need a day or two of rest every week. I try to have one day when I do very little - perhaps a little walk, but nothing much else. And I have another day when my exercise isn't quite as full on as it can be. That seems to keep me ticking over reasonably well.

Your body needs rest just as much as it needs the activity. You need the time to replenish glycogen stores, to rest tired muscles and to enable you to perform better the next time you're out.
  • secostley
    secostley Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Currently I take a rest day every Sunday. However, in the first year I began my fitness regimen, I actually took Thursdays AND Sundays off. I was going through the same thing you were--primarily being tired through the week. The rest days worked wonders.

I also take a week off every 12 weeks of training. Kind of a reward to myself.

Works for me and I continued to lose weight. However, if you are that tired, start look at upping your sleep time first. If that doesn't work, try taking a rest day.
  • mmurelli
    mmurelli Posts: 26
    Options
    i take 2 rest days a week. one day though is an active rest.