Weight Lifting - Knee Problems

Options
bms34b
bms34b Posts: 401 Member
Hey MFP-

I've been doing NROL for women and am almost done with stage one - LOVING it. It's great! Only one thing...my knees are starting to hurt.

Should I...
-Stop lifting so heavy? This would make me sad. :(
-Wrap my knees or get some kinds of braces? This would be ideal, but I'm not sure if it will actually help.

Help!

Replies

• gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    Hey MFP-

I've been doing NROL for women and am almost done with stage one - LOVING it. It's great! Only one thing...my knees are starting to hurt.

Should I...
    -Stop lifting so heavy? This would make me sad. :(
    -Wrap my knees or get some kinds of braces? This would be ideal, but I'm not sure if it will actually help.

Help!

See a doctor. If you're 20, and your knees are hurting while working out, something might be quite wrong.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting for 10 years roughly now and have had bad knees and still do. I have to wear knee sleeves or knee braces when I lift. If your lifting upper body then that is fine however when you start lifting lower body take it slower and work your way up to heavy weight Patience is key and you don't want to have knees that hurt all the time or swell up. :smile: Good Luck
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    also check your form.
    for your squats and deadlifts are you making sure to go to parallel or even past? are you making sure to stick your butt back when you squat down?

for step ups are you using too high a step?
    for lunges are you making sure that your bent knee is behind your toes?

maybe try dropping the weight and making sure your form is good and dont add weight until you're used to doing it correctly.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    - Double check your form for certain lifts
    - Get a decent warm-up in before lifting
    - Static stretching after lifting

If still not better maybe invest in a brace or knee wraps. If still not better, doctor.

I've been lifting for a while but I've gotten to the point where some days I have to wear a knee wrap on my left knee. Some days I'm good without it but some not so much.