Why am I meant to be eating so many calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Also, more calories doesn't always equal more food. Try snacking on higher calorie healthy foods, like avocados or peanut butter. Use full fat greek yogurt instead of low fat, stuff like that. Also, protein shakes. You can add calories that way without a ton of extra food.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I ran into the same issue, I am a cardio enthusiast and the machine says I burn 600-800 cals per hour workout. I also find that, even after using 800 cals, I am full. My tummy really doesn't want more than 1600, which puts me under the 2000 I should eat between my alloted 1200 and my used 800. I read ALL the threads on this topic as today was a slow day at work. Verdict seems to be that anything less that 1200 is pushing your body into starvation mode. This has been hard for me to adjust to as well but I have found a few helpful strategies:

Just be very very careful to not believe the machines....The are known for completely over estimating calorie burn... If you can get a HRM it would give you a better idea of how much you really burn...
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    No offense meant to the OP...but this type of question always baffles me.

If you have a hard time consuming more than 1200 calories and you are here because you have weight to lose, I wonder how on earth did you put weight on in the first place?

Not that I'm proud of it but I could EASILY down 1200 for breakfast.

Having said that - if you can manage on 1200 calories and the scale is still moving for you, good on ya! Everyone has a different path - if this one works for you, why does it matter what anyone else says.

^^^^ This!!! Lol....I what I can do with 2000 calories!!!!
  • aeroback
    aeroback Posts: 66 Member
    Options

If you have a hard time consuming more than 1200 calories and you are here because you have weight to lose, I wonder how on earth did you put weight on in the first place?

Having said that - if you can manage on 1200 calories and the scale is still moving for you, good on ya! Everyone has a different path - if this one works for you, why does it matter what anyone else says.

I agree...... I don't think based on your height, weight and age you should be at 1200 calories. I am at 1200 and I'm 33, 5'4", and 125 lbs. Even that is hard for me, you def. need to eat more. 2000 seems way too high, I would do the 1300-1500 range and see what happens. If you ate donuts and loaded omelets all day you could easily do 1200 in one sitting. I didn't realize how quicky calories added up until I started counting! Just remember, you dont have to stay at 1300-1500 too long and you will lose weight and be able to have more calories. Listen to your body, it will tell you when you need to eat and when you're ok! GL and hang in there!
  • ProjectTae
    ProjectTae Posts: 461 Member
    Options

That's your TDEE, not your BMR. Your BMR is closer to 1667. You probably want to be eating in the area of 1700 calories per day. But that's an end goal, increase calories slowly and monitor results.

1700 gross or net?

Gross, TDEE includes an activity factor, which SHOULD account for all of your workouts. If your routine changes then you may need to reassess your activity factor. MFP does not have that and instead you eat back your exercise cals. Both methods work, I personal prefer the activity factor because it requires less calculations.

No offence to your advice but where did you pull your numbers form they don't make sense, if her BMR is 1667 according to you why would you suggest 1700 gross for her when she said her activity level is moderate 1-3 workouts a week, which is about 100 cals above her BMR and then say that includes exercise calories, every time she worked out she'd likely net below her BMR. To the OP: I suggest you follow the chart, assuming you entered your goal weight and the calculation has a cut factored in.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

I agree...... I don't think based on your height, weight and age you should be at 1200 calories. I am at 1200 and I'm 33, 5'4", and 125 lbs. Even that is hard for me, you def. need to eat more. 2000 seems way too high, I would do the 1300-1500 range and see what happens. If you ate donuts and loaded omelets all day you could easily do 1200 in one sitting. I didn't realize how quicky calories added up until I started counting! Just remember, you dont have to stay at 1300-1500 too long and you will lose weight and be able to have more calories. Listen to your body, it will tell you when you need to eat and when you're ok! GL and hang in there!

This one said all I wanted to say. :)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    No offence to your advice but where did you pull your numbers form they don't make sense, if her BMR is 1667 according to you why would you suggest 1700 gross for her when she said her activity level is moderate 1-3 workouts a week, which is about 100 cals above her BMR and then say that includes exercise calories, every time she worked out she'd likely net below her BMR. To the OP: I suggest you follow the chart, assuming you entered your goal weight and the calculation has a cut factored in.

1-3 light workouts a week, 700 calorie surplus over BMR for the week. It's not that huge of a discrepancy.

I also said 1700 since 1500 was making her feel full, it's a target checkpoint, not the end goal. The calculation listed doesn't have a cut factored in. As I said the 2k estimate was TDEE since that printout came from fat2fit
  • ProjectTae
    Options

1-3 light workouts a week, 700 calorie surplus over BMR for the week. It's not that huge of a discrepancy.

I also said 1700 since 1500 was making her feel full, it's a target checkpoint, not the end goal. The calculation listed doesn't have a cut factored in. As I said the 2k estimate was TDEE since that printout came from fat2fit

Ok so I see where the 1700 number comes in but fat2fit does have a deficit it states:

Based on your goal weight, the following chart was generated. The chart shows the number of calories that you should eat on a daily basis to reach your goal weight. At Fat 2 Fit Radio we advocate eating like the thin, healthy person that you want to become. The calorie levels you see in the chart are not extreme, but they do create that all important caloric deficit that is required to get you to your goal weight in a safe manner. Once you reach your goal weight, you will continue eating the same number of calories for the rest of your life to maintain that weight. You'll never be on a diet again.

Based on how much activity you do on an average day, the calories in the right column will be the number of calories that you will be able to eat at your goal weight. If you start eating those calories right now (eating like the thinner you), you will eventually become that thinner person. As you get closer to your goal weight, your weight loss will start to slow down. It is OK to eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss at this point."

so that is the TDEE value of her goal weight not her weight therefore it is a deficit for her.

EDIT: this chart told me I should eat 2045, and my TDEE is about 2450 so there is a cut.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    So my calories were set to 1,200 which I thought was normal - but then I read a thread about not to go below your BMR? And a link to this fat2fit website which tells me according to my weight, fat percentage etc I should be eating over 2,000 calories.

So I've tried this, and by the time I get to about 1,500 I just want to be sick. It's so much food!!!!!

Can someone please explain why I need to eat 2,000 calories? Is it bad for me to eat less? I feel great, when I eat more calories I feel like I've actually eaten too much.

Currently at 1,200 if I exercise I try to eat back the calories, but some days I don't exercise at all like if I've been stuck at work for 13 hours and commuting 3 hours I just want to get in and sleep.

So how did you gain weight in the first place if you can't even eat as many calories as your BMR?
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Try adding things to the food you eat. If you have an apple, cut it into slices and dip it in peanut butter. Eat nuts as snacks - they have protein and good fats. Add some more meat or veggies into your pasta. Stuff like that.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    So how did you gain weight in the first place if you can't even eat as many calories as your BMR?

Don't you guys change over time? I'm not going to say "your stomach shrinks" because it doesn't but don't you get to where you're serious about losing weight so you start listening to your body again and with practice you can hear it screaming at you again, "STOP! It's too much!"

Just me? Ok. ; )
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Ok so I see where the 1700 number comes in but fat2fit does have a deficit it states:

Based on your goal weight, the following chart was generated. The chart shows the number of calories that you should eat on a daily basis to reach your goal weight. At Fat 2 Fit Radio we advocate eating like the thin, healthy person that you want to become. The calorie levels you see in the chart are not extreme, but they do create that all important caloric deficit that is required to get you to your goal weight in a safe manner. Once you reach your goal weight, you will continue eating the same number of calories for the rest of your life to maintain that weight. You'll never be on a diet again.

Based on how much activity you do on an average day, the calories in the right column will be the number of calories that you will be able to eat at your goal weight. If you start eating those calories right now (eating like the thinner you), you will eventually become that thinner person. As you get closer to your goal weight, your weight loss will start to slow down. It is OK to eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss at this point."

so that is the TDEE value of her goal weight not her weight therefore it is a deficit for her.

EDIT: this chart told me I should eat 2045, and my TDEE is about 2450 so there is a cut.

I double checked and you are 100% correct. I was thinking of the generic calculator with activity factors. My apologies, my only excuse is that I'm tired and it's Monday.

Advice still stands (I think) to increase calories slowly and judge the results.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

Don't you guys change over time? I'm not going to say "your stomach shrinks" because it doesn't but don't you get to where you're serious about losing weight so you start listening to your body again and with practice you can hear it screaming at you again, "STOP! It's too much!"

Just me? Ok. ; )

I can eat 1500 calories in one meal, so I can't relate to your or the OP's experiences. When I eat less processed foods and lower carbs I do get more satisfied on less calories, however I could always overeat if I wanted to. I could never be *stuffed* while on a caloric deficit. Never.
  • ProjectTae
    Options

I double checked and you are 100% correct. I was thinking of the generic calculator with activity factors. My apologies, my only excuse is that I'm tired and it's Monday.

Advice still stands (I think) to increase calories slowly and judge the results.

I see what you meant and my apologies as well I misread your original post and thought that you were telling her to eat 1700 as the final goal, not as a starting point. I agree that she should start small if she's having trouble even eating at her BMR.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    You might try this site to see what it tells you for calories and see what you find:
    http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm

I'll warn you now, the best results will be had if you know your % body fat. I know 'cause I made the calculator. Best of luck!
  • aliciar876
    aliciar876 Posts: 32
    Options
    Thanks for posting this it helps
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options

No offense to you but these comments always annoy me. A lot of us have changed our diet habits. I use to be able to eat 3000 calories a day without a problem but now have a hard time going over 1500. That doesnt mean that i'm going to go drink 4 cups of pepsi, eat some doritos and get a burger king thing of fries just to add calories (like i use to eat). I eat healthier now and thats why i am full longer. Just wanted to show you the other side of that in case you were really curious.
  • SenshiV
    SenshiV Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    According to your weight it seems your suggested calories are good, but I think they should be lower, as I guy, I got a suggestion if close to 2000, as a woman, you should need less.

On th other subject, yes, there are so many many things to add up those calories you "need to be alive", like cookies, yogurt, low fat ice cream, multigrain cereal with honey (even tea with honey)...so many things some wish we could eat without checking numbers on the label :)

One thing I have read many times is not eating your calories will stop you from loosing weight in some degree.

Good luck!
  • renwein
    renwein Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm a Health Promotion student (in my 3rd year), and I might be able to help shed some light for you. Your BMR, also sometimes interchangeable with your RMR (Basal Metabolic Rate and Resting Metabolic Rate) is the minimum amount of calories your body needs every day to just keep you alive - power your breathing, heartbeat, digestion, etc. This is the absolute minimum amount of calories you would need to eat if you did absolutely nothing but lay around in bed all day. While calculations are based on average trends in the population, RMR can be just as different from person to person as fingerprints. And generally people carrying extra weight have higher RMRs.

When you consume less calories than your RMR on a regular basis, your body isn't getting the fuel it needs to not only run its involuntary functions, but support all your other daily activity as well (exercise, bathing and grooming, driving - all burn additional calories above your RMR). You may feel tired all day and become fatigued quickly during exercise. Your body then can kick into survival mode, where it starts to desperately hang on to fat stores to maintain energy reserves in anticipation of a period of extended starvation. For someone trying to lose weight, this can mean that the scale just stops moving even though you're practicing otherwise healthy behaviors.

As odd as it sounds, it's best to find that sweet spot somewhere between your RMR and the amount of calories you would need to consume to maintain your current weight (so you're meeting your body's minimum energy needs while still creating a calorie deficit to promote weight loss). It is strange to think that you may have to eat more to lose weight, but when you give your body what it needs, it responds in kind. And as people lose weight, their RMR usually shrinks as well. If you have health insurance with nutritionist benefits, or you don't mind paying a little out of pocket if you don't, you can have your RMR formally tested to find out your true target number as a baseline starting point. I did, and it was eye-opening for me. And in terms of what you eat, think quality, not quantity. Look for healthy, calorie-dense foods that can help supply those extra calories without necessarily increasing the volume of food that you eat. Nuts are a good example.

I was in your shoes eight months ago, and it wasn't until I started eating more that my body started cooperating and letting go of the pounds again. It's been an experiment with me as my own guinea pig - building up slowly to the calorie levels that I needed to be at and then slowing adjusting back down as the weight comes off. It takes a little patience and time, but it can happen.

Good luck!
  • Sk8rG
    Sk8rG Posts: 55 Member
    Options

No offense to you but these comments always annoy me. A lot of us have changed our diet habits. I use to be able to eat 3000 calories a day without a problem but now have a hard time going over 1500. That doesnt mean that i'm going to go drink 4 cups of pepsi, eat some doritos and get a burger king thing of fries just to add calories (like i use to eat). I eat healthier now and thats why i am full longer. Just wanted to show you the other side of that in case you were really curious.

Absolutely many of us have a new lifestyle. Mine includes the occassional high caloric treat (though BK annd pepsi would definitely NOT be my choice) but I agree with an earlier poster - never could I be stuffed or even full in a caloric deficit. Satisfied, yes. Full, no.

I acknowledged in my original post that if it works for you, congratulations.