Gaining weight when upping to BMR??

Options
I just recently upped my calorie intake to my BMR of 1449, and I don't know if it's because of my new birth control or the change in calories, but my weight has gone up 4 pounds in the last week. I've started working out, Wii Zumba for an hour every other day. And have started taking the 2 liters of water a day more seriously. But I'm gaining weight, I've gained a quarter of an inch around my waist as well, what's going on?

Has anyone else had this problem?
Will it got away?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    at 2300 TDEE you should still have a decent deficit and be losing fat.

You've changed several things some of which could be causing more water retention, so I would give it 4 weeks to be sure.

I note you're at a healthy BMI to start with.
  • closet_fatty
    closet_fatty Posts: 109
    Options
    Time, alright. I should be able to do that.
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I gained too when I upped my intake. The gain lasted about 2 weeks, and now *whoosh* it's coming off again. It is hard to ignore it, but try and you will see results again. Good luck!
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    at 2300 TDEE you should still have a decent deficit and be losing fat.

You've changed several things some of which could be causing more water retention, so I would give it 4 weeks to be sure.

I note you're at a healthy BMI to start with.

4 weeks, who is going to wait around for 4 weeks of gaining. I say if weight is still going up next week, then reduce calories. There is nothing that can be more discouraging to sticking to a diet than gaining weight
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    who is going to wait around for 4 weeks of gaining
    Someone rational - weight fluctuates +/- 2lbs daily anyway, so if you want to know that a gain or loss is real it needs to be bigger than 2 if not 4 lbs if you are to see it and know it isn't just random variations or hormonal cycle.

A 500 calorie surplus can only add 1 lb a week of fat, look at the list of things she changed which could be causing water retention. She didn't put on 4 lbs of fat in a week as that needs 2000 extra calories PER DAY.
  • closet_fatty
    closet_fatty Posts: 109
    Options
    Water retention... Hmmm
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Try keeping your carbohydrate and exercise calories burnt extremely consistent for 2-3 days at least, sometimes the weight of glycogen and the water it stores can really make weight fluctuate.

To overcome this, I burn out my glycogen once a week doing a really long cardio session and eat low carb (only 100g or so) for about 1-2 days. Magically (sarcasm), my weight drops off about 4-5 lbs in 1-2 days. I use this minimum weight to gauge my actual progress

If it turns out you aren't making progress, you might have to change your activity level, BMR, or goals and rework your diet
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    It's water weight. Yes it will go away, possibly overnight. Water does that. It's annoying. Try not weighing.