Calorie Intake!!! What is to few or to much?

Options
I was told by a Nutritionist that I needed to take in 800/1000 calories and 80/100 grams of protein a day. Do you think that is a safe amount? Is that realistic? How do you know what is a good goal on this subject? Some of my friends on here calorie intake are a little higher, not much, but some are alot higher than mine...

Would welcome any advice on this matter!!!!

Replies

• Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    To me, thats seems way too low, especially if you are exercising 1/3-1/2 of those calories off like you are. I think you should find a good balance or cals/exercise. (You already know how I feel anyhow since we are friends) haha!

<3
  • josiecowboy69
    Options
    If it helps!!! I'm 5'5" and 215 pounds
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Protein seems fine, but the calories seem low. Especially if you exercise.
    The generally accepted approach on here is to eat above your BMR.
  • puddygirl13
    puddygirl13 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Protein sounds good. Calories seem too low. I'm 5'5" and 198 pounds, I work out for 45-60 min 6 days a week and my calorie goal is about 1500-1600 calories a day. I lose about 1.5 pounds a week steady at that. Your BMR (the calories you need to be alive) is 1600+ calories a day. So if you do nothing each day, 1000 calories would be ok. But if you are active or working out, you will have no energy and your body will go into starvation mode and you will lose muscle. You need muscle to burn fat so that's no good! Good luck! :smile:
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I agree on the protein. But no on the calories. Too low. Try to get between 1400-1500 and use exercise to burn your way back down to 1200 or so. If your exercise burns substantially more then that, eat more.
  • thejackswild79
    Options
    My GP told me earlier this year that many nutritionists and/or doctors are less inclined to believe that an overweight individual is exercising as much as they claim and therefore offer a target calorie intake goal for someone less active. To give them the benefit of the doubt, I am sure that for a certain segment of the population that is true and that lower calorie goal is more accurate. However, there are very active overweight folks and we each deserve to be treated as an individual. That calorie goal is too low for an active individual over the long term and I would have a discussion with the nutritionist or seek another one.
  • BookofJenny
    BookofJenny Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • gumigal82
    gumigal82 Posts: 350
    Options
    If it helps!!! I'm 5'5" and 215 pounds

your calories seem too low!
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Have you had a gastric bypass? As that is the only reason you should be advised to eat 800-1000 cals and 100g of protein. If you have had WLS in the past year or so then yes, those numbers are right. But if you have not had WLS then those numbers are seriously low!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Well, you can listen to a nutritionist or listen to strangers on the internet.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Well, you can listen to a nutritionist or listen to strangers on the internet.

Your a stranger...I think she should take your own advice, not listen to you.:grumble:

Here I go on my lil rant...I am annoyed...haha

I have respect for people who have dedicated their lives to a specific career, especially in the medical field. Saying that, just because someone has that degree does not mean they make the right choices or give the best advice. I see it all the time, someone can be book smart but dumb as hell with real life experience. Not to mention, exercise and proper nutrition is one of those areas that tend to evolve as more and more studies come out. The more we know, the better results we get. I dont know how educated they are but I am friends with her and I know they didn't even go over carbs, sugar, fats...anything with her. All she got was eat x amount of calories. I mean, this seems so "common sense" to me. Every doctor I have talked to about losing weight, including dietitians, have told me never ever go below 1200 calories a day. Its one of those basic rules of thumb.

I am not saying all, but alot of the people on here have taken the time to educate themselves and read countless articles on proper nutrition. There is so much more data supporting a balanced diet as opposed to under-eating and starving your body. It just doesn't work for long term results. Talk about a metabolism yo-yo...You can not tell me eating 800-1000 calories, exercising 400 of them off is healthy.(well, maybe you can....but your wrong) Its not her fault, she is just doing what she thought was a "professional" told her to do. I think asking on this forum was great because she gets a bunch of opinions from people who actually experienced the same issues and who have been successful. Thats what this forum is for. If you don't support "People on the internet's opinions" maybe you should not respond yourself.

Wow, Im a lil frisky today. Watch out world! hahahaha :flowerforyou: Rawr

(I swear I am really nice) haha