Humus

Options
kgprice11
kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
Any thoughts on Humus? I just can't bring myself to eat it but I heard its really good for you.

Replies

• debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Try it- it's good as a substitute for mayo on sandwiches and I use it as a dip for celery. I buy the Sabras pine nut.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I too use it for a mayo sub. I like it in my tuna salad mix, tuna, hummus, black beans, red onion, mustard, and hot sauce. I also like it on toast for breakfast, instead of butter, with eggs on top of the toast. It's relatively good for you, 50 cals per 2T, but the salt content can be a little high.
  • cOOkieLpX
    cOOkieLpX Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Its an acquired taste. I really enjoy it with crackers and some hot sauce. I put hot sauce on everything.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I make black bean hummus and it rocks!!

1 can rinsed and drained black beans
    1tbsp lemon juice or more for consistency and flavor
    1tsp cumin powder
    1/4 tsp each garlic powder, salt and red cayenne pepper

Mix it all in a good processor and that's it! I added a little olive oil last time and it made it creamier. Very easy and filling. I like to eat it in a wrap or on a bagel with lots of veggies (spinach, banana peppers, cucumbers). And don't forget the hot sauce!! I eat it as a substitute for meat, and I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything!
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I just tried it for the first time a couple weeks ago and I love it!! Wish I would have tried it sooner. It sort of has a mexican food taste to it (at least to me, sort of reminds me of refried beans but better). I use it on my chicken wraps, put it in pitas with veggies, on crackers, as a dip, ect. Try it! They have all sorts of flavors not just plain. I got a garden veggie flavor (its mixed in with peppers and onions).
  • amtru2015
    amtru2015 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    have you tried it?? its yummy! especially with baby carrots or crackers! have you ever eaten bean dip? its a similar texture
  • BabyLeila23
    BabyLeila23 Posts: 410
    Options
    DELICOUS.
  • ToniLouise8
    Options
    Humous is AMAZING......taste so good if you slice carrots and cucumber into strips and use it as a dip for a snack !!
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    My thoughts on humus... it tastes like ground-up buttholes.
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    Hummus = Nasty. Can't get past the rotting crap smell.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options

LOL..you've tried them?!

This just made me LOL so hard!
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options

LOL..you've tried them?!

This just made me LOL so hard!

Once. I was young, and needed the money.
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I love hummus. We eat it all the time. I always make my own, never store bought. The best recipe I have found is Ina Garten's from Barefoot Contessa. I like lots of garlic. It is so healthy.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that is a vegan and he eats it with pita bread. It does not look very appetizing but I heard its good for you, is that true?
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I eat it daily and truthfully would not have been able to lose weight without it. I'm a vegetarian and used to eat far too much cheese. I now eat low fat hummous every day. Sometimes I make my own, sometimes I buy it - but whichever, I love it and it is very nutritious x
  • downwithbottledwater
    Options
    I make my own from scratch.
    I don't like pre-made foods and i prefer to know exactly what is in my food.
    I eat it almost every day.
  • kklemarow
    kklemarow Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It's very tasty but read the ingredients - some brands go overboard with the oil.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Not all hummuses (is that a word? LOL) are created equal! Personally I do like the stuff, but have tried some that weren't worth eating. If you have access to a Trader Joe's, there's are good - I like the classic smooth and creamy variety. Of course my absolute favorite comes from my friend's restaurant where his dear mother makes all the hummus daily and it is the BEST! And as others have said, there are lots of recipes online, so you can make your own, and tweak the flavor and consistency of the stuff.

Or it may just not be your cup of tea - if you don't like it, don't eat it! Plenty of other healthy foods out there -eat what you enjoy. :smile:
  • fdlafon
    fdlafon Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I'm enjoying the Sabra Supremely Spicy hummus right now!

It's delicous with some low fat multi grain crackers.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Sabra supremely spicy hummus. I can't get the others down but the spicy is good. I eat it with Wheatable crackers or as a dip with veggies.