DEXA Scan! (Read if you are thinking about doing it!)

Options
13»

Replies

• lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,995 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    What I find confusing is how to figure out muscle tissue gain. The scan tells you your LBM increase, but that would include water, glycogen, muscle, connective tissue, etc. I can't tell how much muscle tissue I gained from the before-and-after scans.

Autopsy & disection
    They could remove some fat while they're at it :D
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    alpepp wrote: »
    I finally coughed up the money and got my DEXA scan done last Friday ($75 USD at my university). I decided to do it as I have been half-a$$edly working out and eating this past year. Well, it's time to put my money where my mouth is! I also just finished a personal training package (big strength gains, little physical results from poor eating) and am about to start a new package tomorrow. I also had wide varying measurements between the body fat scale, handheld device, and calipers. I wanted to know my accurate body fat so I can make a good judgment call on a goal weight and stop using BMI as my standard.

The results?

45.1% Body Fat (ouch!)

That makes me a 109 lbs of lean, mean body mass and an initial goal of 25% body fat between 140-145 lbs. That weight may end up being lower because, with over 60 lbs to lose, I may most likely lose some lean mass as I drop weight.

What I find funny/weird/awesome/frustrating is that, for my very short 5'1" frame, 140 lbs is still technically overweight according to the BMI chart, even if I should be within average limit for a woman by body fat %(almost to fitness level).

My personal trainer and I will be focusing mostly on fat loss and maintaining the muscle I have; therefore, I see lots of HIIT in my immediate future!

I am also going to the EM2WL approach a shot. My main problem with working out, especially with all the strength training I have done in the last year, is maintaining my energy consistently. This was pretty difficult to do on 1200 calories, even with eating back my exercise calories.

My plan is to have another DEXA scan done when I reach halfway between my current weight and goal weight (around 170 lbs) and then reevaluate my goal.

Thought I would post this for anybody considering it - the DEXA scan has been a great motivator for me. It helped me really evaluate what I want from my weight loss, work out, and my body in general.

Thoughts? Anybody else doing the same approach as me?
    Just a quick note: HIIT isn't for FAT LOSS. That entirely depends on your calorie deficit. HIIT will help with your conditioning and fitness.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    macchiatto wrote: »
    I wonder if DEXA often ends up being higher than other methods or if it just depends on how the individual carries their weight.

I have been measuring my BF/LBM quarterly for the past 6 months by both DXA scans and hydrostatic testing.

DXA is always higher than hydrostatic by about 3-4%. My last hydro test was 10.1% and my last DXA was 14%. 3 months before that the results were 12.1% hydro and 16.4% DXA. And, 3 months before that the results were 16.9% hydro and 20.3% DXA. A very consistent variation in the results.

Interesting. I had a DXA and a Hydro done about 2 hours apart roughly 3 years ago, and my hydro and DXA BF% were within 0.7%. I haven't done any since, but may have to do so at some point just to see the results this time around.

Past experiment was here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1279724/round-3-dxa-versus-hydro-a-comparison#latest
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    Think I'll save this for when I get closer to ideal body weight.
    I already know I'm a fatbastard now, it's too early in my loss journey to help me set goal weight.

its never too early to set a goal - maybe it would be an intermediary goal - instead of 50lbs overall, you aim for 10lbs - but getting an assessment done at periodic intervals can help

Looks like it's at least $125 in my area. I'd do it now if cheaper.

In 9 months I hope to be in the middle of my 'overweight' BMI range and more active in my exercise. At that point an accurate view of my BF and LBM will really help me target in on my goal weight.