Popcorn?

Options
Is popcorn a simple or complex carb? Is it good for you to snack on?

Replies

• karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    in England, we have it covered in toffee, so its really high in calories, so I am afraid I try to avoid it
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I eat it often. I buy kernels and pop 2 tbsp in a brown paper lunch bag in the microwave, this way it doesn't have a lot of junk in it and it's easy!!!
  • Alymclement
    Alymclement Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I buy Orvilles 94% fat free single serving bags. theyre only 100 calories and you get a lot out of it. I think its a GREAT snack :)
  • theblackbirdtree
    Options
    Air popped popcorn is always the best option.

Here's some info from http://www.livestrong.com/article/464999-is-popcorn-a-complex-or-simple-carb/

"Complex carbohydrates correspond to starches, which is a molecule with a longer chain of sugar. They contain fiber, such as the carbohydrates found in most grains and fruits. Simple carbohydrates include molecules with a shorter chain, such as sugar. Corn as well as popcorn would fit in the complex carbs category, unless you add sugar, caramel or other sugary topping to it to increase its simple sugar content."

As with anything, moderation prevents any need to worry about food choices :flowerforyou:
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Great snack if it is air popped and you put nothing on it. It is essentially a whole grain.Lots of fiber.