Pain Medication... help

alecta337
alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
Hi MFP family,

Let me start off my explaining that I have pretty severe shoulder pain with no apparent cause (X-ray and MRIs of both neck and shoulder show no abnormalities). I was going to physical therapy for a while, but my insurance won't cover any more visits. At PT I did a weight-lifting routine that I have continued to do.

My main point is that I need help with my pain medication. Last week my doctor gave me a perscription of tylenol with codeine. After a few days I realized that it causes me not to be able to... go... you know? So I haven't been taking it for a few days and I'm back to normal, but my shoulder is killing me. A previous doctor gave me vicodin, but about 5 min after I took the pills, I threw up.

I also have stomach problems which prevent me from taking any kind of NSAID (asprin, ibprophen, meloxicam, etc).

I am just wondering if anyone else has had these reactions to opiate pain killers and what their solution was. I am hoping that even though hydrocodone makes me throw up that oxycodone or some other opiate derivative will not have the same effect.

Replies

• Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Pain medication can make you constipated. Perhaps buy a stool softner, Colace is gentle. Dont suffer in pain, take the medication, drink plenty of fluids and stool softener will help so much. Best of luck
  • carinnaj
    carinnaj Posts: 149
    in my experience, I get more nauseated more quickly, with oxycodone. I've only had hydrocodone and oxycodone (with dental work and after giving birth) . it does help to make sure you take it with a meal. I'll eat some, then take the pill, then eat some more. it doesn't always work but it does help vs. just taking the pill without food, or after a large meal(the worst).

and yes they are def. constipating. ... buy some prunes LOL.. and a stool softener (docusate sodium)
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,412 Member
    Sounds like you are allergic to codeine, like me. Vicodin, Hydrocodone, Oxycodone, etc. are all codeine derivatives. I'm not a doctor, but I like to play... nevermind. I am able to stomach Oxy on a regular basis. You might ask your doctor to try that. Good luck.
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Thanks for the replys.

I was eating a bunch of prunes, because I knew it may have that effect. The problem is that I basically need to take the pain killers every day, but taking stool softeners or laxatives every day is pretty bad for you. I have read that your body can become reliant on them and if you stop taking it then you won't be able to go at all.

My plan is to talk to my doctor and ask for a small (5 or 10 pills) prescription of whatever he suggests. That way I can see what the effects are before he gives me a bunch of pills. He just gave me 75 of those codeine pills, and if I take enough to make the pain go away then I have issues...

I am also on gabapentin for long term pain treatment, but it hasn't kicked in yet. On Thursday I am going in for a cervical epidural steroidal injection, just in case I have nerve damage in my neck that didn't show up on the MRI, so I am hoping that may also have an effect.
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    I think a stool softener is ok, it is not a laxative. It makes is easier to go when you need to go. But, wont make you go. It is what I was prescribed when pregnant. So, its pretty safe.
  • hthrld
    hthrld Posts: 125 Member
    A stool softener is like Colace is what you want. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water and getting exercise. Staying active helps the bowels move.

You may react differently to the oxycdone vs hydrocodone. Everybody reacts to meds differently.