skipping breakfast..can't help it. Can you help me?

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Not hungry at breakfast time, don't eat breakfast. Simple as that. Just make sure you're eating enough in the rest of the day.

Agreed. When I was teeny-tiny skinny I never ate breakfast.
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Not hungry at breakfast time, don't eat breakfast. Simple as that. Just make sure you're eating enough in the rest of the day.

This^^^^
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Don't eat if you're not hungry. That's how we all (for the most part) got fat in the first place.
    Best reply
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I "heart" these arguments! I'm on the side of the Intermittent Fasters.

We all eat BREAKFAST!!!! ITs just some of of delay breakfast ("breaking the fast") till later in the day..

Heres an article you can read about some of the myths people (cough! Dr. OZ) try to spread around..
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too, or i did.
    I had to force myself to eat it as well...took about 2 months to make it a habit.
    Maybe start with something light to enhance your morning ritual?
  • shelbynicole32
    shelbynicole32 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I was the same way but I finally started making myself eat a small bite in the morning.
    I realized that the only reason I was not eating breakfast was because I was just too lazy
    and my time management was not effective therfore I did not eat.
    I finally started getting the to go granola bars and fruits and small things to tide me over.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm really glad to read the responses here. Somedays I eat right away...I'm just so hungry when I wake up. Other days it takes me a few hours to get up and get myself together before i want to eat. Nice to know that other people feel the same and that there's nothing wrong with it!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Eating when you are not hungry is silly.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. If you're skipping breakfast but still meeting your calorie goals, I don't see a problem at all.

For me, if I skip breakfast, I'll be starving and use that as an excuse to pig out on garbage. So by eating every few hours, I lose the urge to murder a box of donuts or a large size bag of fries. But you're not me and it sounds like you have it under control. If it ain't broke....
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I dont like breakfast...to much on my tummy to early...so I eat Belvita or meal replacement or toast then have a second breakfast a few hours later...
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    maybe lunch is your breakfast
  • hebenn01
    hebenn01 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am never hungry when I first get up. BUT I would always find myself wishing it was lunch time and by the time noon rolled around I was famished and just wanted to eat ANYTHING quick!! So I got in the habit of hitting up drive thrus/fast food and put on about 20 pounds after college. So now I throw something quick in my purse to eat around 10am...that way when lunch time does arrive I'm more likely to make smart decisions and not just pig out! Try that :)
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Having a big breakfast is a myth started by Edward Bernays (propagandist) in order to help the pig farmers sell more product. Before that, coffee and toast was the breakfast constant. Read more about him here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Bernays
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    HOWEVER, if you are getting up and jumping straight into your routine without eating breakfast, your body will start pulling calories from your muscles and not your fat stores.

What makes you think this?

Even if you burn more than what you eat, if you have food in you, your body will pull it from fat stores instead.

And this?

I've had 3 different personal trainers and a nutritionist tell me this. If you have no fuel, your body is going to pull from whatever nourishes it the most and that would be muscle.
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    The earlier you eat in the day, the less will be on your stomach at night when you go to sleep. It is better to eat your heavier meals earlier in the morning than at night when you go to bed and all the food turns to fat. Hope this helps.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    The earlier you eat in the day, the less will be on your stomach at night when you go to sleep. It is better to eat your heavier meals earlier in the morning than at night when you go to bed and all the food turns to fat. Hope this helps.

Why do you think it makes a difference given the same caloric intake?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I've had 3 different personal trainers and a nutritionist tell me this. If you have no fuel, your body is going to pull from whatever nourishes it the most and that would be muscle.

I see.

I don't aim this comment at you, but I do not agree with the people who are informing you.

You are not burning fat shortly after a meal. You typically burn fat during extended time between meals when insulin drops down. Additionally, as long as lipolysis exceeds lipogenesis over the course of time, you're going to lose fat. Short-term fuel sourcing isn't of much relevance.
  • harpercutie
    harpercutie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    It is important to start off your day will fuel in your system. It'll boost your energy throughout the day. And it's an easy fix.

All you have to do is eat a light dinner tonight (or skip dinner tonight) and eat it very early. Like 5pm. In the morning of the next day eat something as soon as you wake up and bam you are now on the right schedule. It'll become habit an eventually you will be a able to eat dinner later and bigger :)
  • monyango
    monyango Posts: 166
    Options
    I don't think it's essential to eat breakfast either. I do know for myself that when I switched from 3 meals (Lunch, Dinner, and late night snacking...OMG!!) a day to 6 small meals I'm super hungry in the morning and actually eat less throughout the day because I don't starve and then binge.

I think as long as you are getting enough food and the no-breakfast thing is working for you then stick with it. If you are really struggling to lose weight (of which I have no idea) than perhaps you may want to investigate the breakfast option a little more.
  • randomnennie
    randomnennie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat breakfast because for some reason, my stomach couldn't handle it and I would feel pretty ill.

However, I still wanted some nutrition in the morning. So to at least get something good in me, and not to eat just for the sake of eating, I bought a juicer. So in the mornings now, I'm getting a good cup with some orange juice, apple juice and spinach. LOVE IT! I bought the JuiceMan Jr at a flea market. Best purchase I have ever made when it comes to preparing in the kitchen.