Went from a size 10 to 14 in one day!

Options
While enjoying some much needed retail therapy yesterday I could not help but notice how in GAP I was a size 10 (uk) then all I had to do was walk up the high street to Primark and I had increased to a size 14??? WTF people there should be size regulators scouring our high streets to stop this!! The thing is I loved the 14 jeans from primark but refused to buy them as I'm not a 14!! Even though they were cheap ;-)

Replies

• 2LoveEnnisMccall6
    Options
    It's so annoying and makes you feel rubbish but that's just shops for you all different. I was size 14 in jeans at one shop and 10 in the other at the same time
    Btw I'm a size 12. But hooray all 14 stuff is so baggy. 12 stuff no longer tigh
    there slowly becoming big on me hopefully a size 10 in September!
  • shinisize
    shinisize Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I fully agree! I live in the US, and went once to buy jeans at American Eagle. I was in high school still, so I was really excited to buy the pants that so many girls liked. I've never even looked twice at a pair of pants in that store again. The sales lady sent me to the dressing room with a total of four pairs of pants. Two in the size I normally wear, and two the size bigger "just in case, sometimes they run small". I was suspicious and tried the larger size on and couldn't even get them over my knees. I was instantly on the verge of tears and hyperventilating. I quickly tried on the SMALLER size of pants. They were cut damn near three sizes bigger than the label claimed, I couldn't have kept them up with a belt. I quickly put my own jeans back down and explained to the sales lady that I just wasn't willing to pay $50 a pair for pants that required an entire afternoon of searching for a pair that fit and a xanax to survive the emotional rollercoaster of whatever random sizing program the warehouse gremlins used there.
  • LindsayHowlett
    Options
    That's Primark for ya... They have to keep their costs down so they scrimp massively on material! Buy the jeans, cut the size label out! Wear them and look fab!!!!!
  • Saiklor
    Saiklor Posts: 183
    Options
    I like going to old navy because everywhere else I'm an 8-10, sometimes a 12, and at old navy I can fit a six. :-) Figure out which stores make you feel good and shop at those ones! (although I'd be the first in line to vote YES on a standardized sizing law so that I could shop ANYWHERE without feeling worried!)
  • gaiareeves
    gaiareeves Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I don't really care about what 'size' the clothes are labelled as.

Because when it comes down to it, you're still the same size, no matter where you shop; the clothes of your size just have different numbers attached to them.

I'm generally a UK 10 (US 6), but if I see a nice dress in a store and it's a 14, whatever and it fits me, then I'm buying it, regardless of the label. It's the same as if I fit into a size 8 in some stores, I don't then think I've magically shrunk to a size 8, it's just a bigger cut.

Arbitrary numbers - be it on the scales or on your clothes labels - shouldn't possess the power to change your opinion of yourself or how you look.
  • emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    buy them anyway and cut the tag out...
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    The only jeans I have ever bought from Primark are the stretch ones, and I can get into a 6 in those. I have noticed a lot of their other clothes seem to look small on the hanger, so I tend not to buy there as I like my clothes to be slightly loose for the most part. I find topshop seems to have increased their sizing as I can now get into a 6 there too. In gap, I am a 26 waist, I believe and xs in their sportwear.
  • freeli
    freeli Posts: 43
    Options
    Oh yes I noticed that too especially with Primark. ... Altho - I don't think it works for Bras unfortunately, I still only need a B, ha ha ;)
  • ybcochrane
    ybcochrane Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i know how you feel it's sooooo frustrating
  • sleepyjean88
    sleepyjean88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Everything in Primark is made so much smaller than actual size, I wouldn't worry about it too much I just avoid Primark except for their pants, their pants are amazing but even then I've not bought any in years.
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I really struggle with this too, in Dorothy perkins the other day I tried on 2 different pairs of jeans, in one pair the size 8 hung off me and in another it was way too tight. So frustrated and really not good for anyone mentally!
  • RhianSteph
    RhianSteph Posts: 26
    Options
    ahh i cannot say how much I agree with this, although i do find Primark clothes to be bigger than many stores? I hate hate HATE trying on clothes..makes me feel AWFUL! Miss selfridge is soooo depressing!
  • migoi357
    migoi357 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You all do realize that none of you ARE the number on the label of your clothes, right? You are all wonderful, intelligent, beautiful women. Some of you happen to wear clothes with different abstract symbols used to identify them...those symbols are not you and you are not those symbols.
  • chevvy53
    chevvy53 Posts: 44
    Options
    dont worry about numbers lovey ... where what looks good !!
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I understand the pain. In Primark I am usually getting a lot smaller sizes. At the moment I am currently a size 12/14, although more a 14. With the tops I need to get a much larger size, but with my bottoms I thought I'd be safe with a 14, however when I walk, this skirt falls down!!! Not worth taking back though, it was only £3 and I could possibly just use a belt. :)

Republic is really bad. If you buy their Soul Cal stuff you generally need a size smaller. However, with Miso, especially the skinny jeans I have found I need to go two sizes bigger!!! When I received some jeans from the internet in an already size bigger and I couldn't even get my calf in them, I wanted to cry so much!

It's always better for you to wear clothes that fit properly though, as if they're too small they will always make you look fatter! You see that a lot in girls my age and younger. It looks awful! Especially with see-through leggings!
  • Josteyn
    Josteyn Posts: 44
    Options
    Look up 'vanity sizing', then petition your MP/Senator/Representative about getting it stopped. Happens to men as well. I'll put money on the clothes in your man's wardrobe not having the waist size they say they are.

If it is so 'needed' or 'wanted' by the customer, then why don't they do it for the inside leg measurement? I'd like to think I was taller...
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Primark is the only shop where I'm a size 10 on top and where a 14 is too tight on the bottom!
  • amortize20
    amortize20 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    if you shop at primark you've got to know the labels mean nothing, it's the only store i can be a size 32, 34 and 36 waist just by trying the same cut but different colour jeans.

go with whatever fits and you feel happy in and cut the labels out ;)
  • hellsbells999
    hellsbells999 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    The whole sizing thing is a joke, I have been buying some midway clothes on ebay to tide me over till I get to my target and the sizes are sooooooo out!! I was gonna say can't we have measures in inches like men but it seems even thats not worth having!!
    I guess I shall just stay in leggings until I reach my target LOL :-)