I want to start running... HELP!

Options
Okay, I have never been a runner. I can bike/elliptical forever, but ask me to run and I feel like I can barely go for 3 minutes.

I will be frank: it hurts. My fat and boobs jiggle. I want to start running, but I am embarassed to start at the gym on a treadmill. I have access to great trails and have tried the walk/run intervals, but I can't get past the pain of the jiggle.

Maybe I am doing this all wrong? I guess I am looking for EXTREME beginner tips (and maybe clothing advice?).

Replies

• krbates84
    krbates84 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've heard the C25K app is very helpful for beginners. It's for smart phones.
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Wear compression shorts (or capris) under your running shorts. Not just lycra shorts but some real compression shorts; these help a lot. Also, check out Title 9 or Team Estrogen online for bras. You can call them and talk to a real woman about what you need, and they are very, very helpful. You might pay a little more but it's totally worth it. Bouncing anything sucks, but you can strap it all down! :bigsmile: You can do this!
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Love Couch to 5k!
  • scarlettgeorgia4
    scarlettgeorgia4 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    couch 2 5 K - you have to do it! i started it in april I think and finished a few weeks ago, i'm now running every other day for 30 mins outside(and half of that is at an incline) . i keep nagging my friends and family to do it, when i started it hurt to run for 60 seconds.
    so good. :)
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    compression wear. spandex- compression wear- whatever you want to call it. it suppresses the jiggle and increases your aero-dynamic sillhouette ... ok well, it does suppress the jiggle
  • dillonfc123
    dillonfc123 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This is the best resource I have found:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I find it helpful because it's a detailed and structured plan. Clothingwise, I would recommend a properly fitted sports bra and maybe tighter clothes to hold everything in place?
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Look up couch to 25k :), great way to get started. You basically go in intervals when starting out (something like 2 minutes running then 1 minute walking, and then increases the more you progress)/ I think that's key to getting started actually, as it's easy to get discouraged when your endurance isn't up and you have to stop or break often.
    Having a proper work-out bra I found really made a difference too, even though I'm average/smaller in the chest (32B)
  • Nicci93
    Nicci93 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Double up on the bras.. I have to strap them done so it doesn't hurt.. cause there is nothing worse than having that pain on top of the rest of running pain xD

Also, for any other jiggle I would suggest maybe compression clothing? I don't like it as much myself, but if jiggle makes you hurt too much I would try on some underarmor type clothing to reign stuff in (and maybe put a looser shirt over it if its a self-conscious thing). Try jogging in place in dressing rooms to find what works best before you make a purchase
  • jenessae
    jenessae Posts: 23
    Options
    I'm going to recommend C25K app as well. By the end you'll want to run. I started at home with a treadmill then would go outside. It's 30 min 3X a week. It really does work :) Good luck!
  • glowingcactus
    glowingcactus Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That was the first thing I had to get over when I started running, the effect of gravity on my body. I didn't like it - I still don't like it, but I am big and I just realised I had to accept that this is how it was going to be until I lose more weight. You need a sports bra which you strap up tight and I would just suggest a big T-shirt to hide the worst of the jiggles. Then just go for it!
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    Options
    it will be hard and painful at first but it gets easier. i'm starting out this week too, i'd actually like to finish my app and get to run 5k by the end of the summer! I wear tight spandex which literally goes up to my boobs! that kinda helps with my jiggle. Also get a good sports bra! i'm pretty sure i'm going to knock myself out one of these days!
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Ditto on compression clothing. And once you get your body used to running everything tones up and the jiggling minimizes, if not disappearing altogether. The chest area requires a good bra. I've heard of some women needing to wear 2 for the support.
  • Pablosammy
    Pablosammy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm a bloke, but I know the importance, if you're a laaaady, of getting a GOOD BRA! Some girls wear two when running. And I mean a tight, supportive sports bra.

Now for the generic stuff. You're right about starting with intervals. Even if you have to run for 30 seconds, walk for 5 minutes, it's how you start. It will hurt to start, but you'll progress quickly and be able to run for longer in between walks. So many people start far too quickly. There's nothing wrong with taking it slow... in fact, it's KEY. Get outside, enjoy the fresh air, and take it at your pace.

Finally, if you're even remotely serious, get down to a proper running shop and have your running analysed - don't be embarassed, tell them what you've told us, and they'll be fantastic. They'll be able to identify things like over/under pronation and recommend particular shoes which will prevent injuries before they happen.

Enjoy :)
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    C25K is a great starter program, along with other run/walk interval programs like Jeff Galloway and "Run Your Butt Off."

If what "hurts" is your chest...invest in a good sports bra. Or wear 2 if necessary to keep things from jiggling. Also invest in good running shoes. It's worth an initial trip to your local running specialty or athletic store.

Start slow and work on your breathing. Learn how to stretch (dynamic stretches before running and static stretches after).

Don't be embarassed to run at the gym OR on a trail/path. Whenever I see someone who does not look like the "typical" thin runner out getting it done, I am always really impressed and inspired. I started running when I was 50 pounds overweight...36 pounds lost and I still look like a dork when I run, but I love it.

There are lots of runners (new and not-so-new) on MFP and running-related groups to join. Have fun!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I wear a shock absorber, to reduce the bounce issue.

I second the C25k. That's what I started with and I'm running a half marathon in a couple of weeks.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is great, and ... go slow at first. Go so slow, you could almost go faster if you were walking.
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a strong and supportive sports bra that fits - they do come in different levels of support - if you're not comfortable wearing the tight fitting workout stuff - where it underneath something you feel more comfortable in.
  • weisegirl1119
    weisegirl1119 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have never been a runner. I can bike/elliptical forever, but ask me to run and I feel like I can barely go for 3 minutes.

I will be frank: it hurts. My fat and boobs jiggle. I want to start running, but I am embarassed to start at the gym on a treadmill. I have access to great trails and have tried the walk/run intervals, but I can't get past the pain of the jiggle.

Maybe I am doing this all wrong? I guess I am looking for EXTREME beginner tips (and maybe clothing advice?).

This!
  • jwinmo
    jwinmo Posts: 1
    Options
    My husband and I both have plenty of jiggle and we did the Couch to 5K program. Wearing compression shirts helped -- very tight but seems to keep everything sucked in so it's not flapping around! Also, I wore running shorts under looser shorts -- made me feel more comfortable at first. Now I don't really care, even though I'm still jiggly -- when I get self-conscious running on the street, I just think, "Hey, I'm burning more calories than you are sitting in your car!" I don't love to run but I do 2-3 miles 3 times a week because it is efficient -- lots of calories, little bit of time -- and because it is fun running in a race. My biggest advice would be to follow the C25K program and stick with it through an actual 5K -- that is motivating! Hope this helps -- good luck!
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm a bloke, but I know the importance, if you're a laaaady, of getting a GOOD BRA! Some girls wear two when running. And I mean a tight, supportive sports bra.

Now for the generic stuff. You're right about starting with intervals. Even if you have to run for 30 seconds, walk for 5 minutes, it's how you start. It will hurt to start, but you'll progress quickly and be able to run for longer in between walks. So many people start far too quickly. There's nothing wrong with taking it slow... in fact, it's KEY. Get outside, enjoy the fresh air, and take it at your pace.

Finally, if you're even remotely serious, get down to a proper running shop and have your running analysed - don't be embarassed, tell them what you've told us, and they'll be fantastic. They'll be able to identify things like over/under pronation and recommend particular shoes which will prevent injuries before they happen.

Enjoy :)

GREAT ADVICE