May I make a request?

Options
13»

Replies

• Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    I treadmill. When I start, I'm not sweaty, and I press about 4 buttons to get started. I touch nothing for the next hour, and the machine stops on its own. Do I need to wipe down the tread? Perhaps Fabreeze the area in case I let a couple of SBD's go?

Hmmm..Fabreeze?? that's a possibility!
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    Thanks, Costanza.

we live in a society Jerry!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I forgot to actually reply.

It doesn't really bug me to work at a station someone didn't clean. It bothers me in a sense that the person is inconsiderate - but I lost my fear of other people's sweat a long time ago doing clinching in Muay Thai.

I -always- wipe down when I'm done. Very thoroughly.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I usually don't say anything about it to anyone. I just keep wiping down the equipment before I use it and again when I'm done. I use a new paper towel and the spray bottles of disinfectant provided by the gym each time.

Once, I had some tough guys smiling and shaking their head, telling me I shouldn't bother and some germs wouldn't kill me. I just told them I was on the road to recovery from a flesh eating bacteria and it was for their protection as much as mine.

'just got a blank stare from them after that.

Oddly enough, they started using the spray, too!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    What?? Dont people keep a towel with them when they work out anymore?? Eww...
  • ntriplett222
    ntriplett222 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I will preface my post with this statement:

I always wipe down after I am done, only once has someone jumped on the machine before I could get back to the equipment from getting a towel to wipe it down with.

Now, with that said, who goes to the gym thinking sweating is "icky" (I believe was the word). It's an entirely natural thing that our body does and is a great form of detox. I for one, enjoy my workout more when I sweat like a dog. Don't get me wrong, while I enjoy a good sweat, I do shower before I leave the gym. I do not enjoy the post workout, dried sweat feeling.

In conclusion, there is a word full of people who are afraid of germs on a very unhealthy level. For those people's mental sanity, go ahead and wipe down the equipment. It doesn't take much time and can avoid a situation like the one I witnessed a few weeks ago where a woman went bat-*kitten* crazy on someone for sweating during his workout.

Ok, I'm done now, have a good night.
  • tabulator32
    Options
    I treadmill. When I start, I'm not sweaty, and I press about 4 buttons to get started. I touch nothing for the next hour, and the machine stops on its own. Do I need to wipe down the tread?

Yes, you do. You've been breathing and sweating on the machine for an hour.

If you don't think it makes a difference, let me go jogging and then let me go stand in your closet for an hour. I won't touch anything. I promise.

(And, please, no "coming out of the closet" jokes, people.)

:bigsmile:
  • tabulator32
    Options
    It's an entirely natural thing that our body does and is a great form of detox.

So is urine and feces.
  • heatherrose9
    heatherrose9 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Yeah... why is it that everyone is totally hyper about wiping down the cardio equipment, but no one bothers with the weight machines?? Weird.

right!?
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    It's an entirely natural thing that our body does and is a great form of detox.

So is urine and feces.

I always wipe my urine and feces off the machines at the gym :laugh:
  • greatthursday
    Options
    Oh, man. I am so meticulous about this all of the time, but geez, you just reminded me that I didn't DO it today! Crap! I feel like an idiot! I forgot to wipe down the treadmill ... yuck! I knew I forgot something but I was so excited that I'd been able to run so far for the first time ... Damnit!
  • Monti_e_lmt
    Monti_e_lmt Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    What if you don't get it sweaty? :huh: Okay I am guilty on the cardio equipment but not the weight equipment. If I did leave sweat on the seat I'd wipe it. Cute puggy btw OP
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    I always seem to get the campers on the machines next to me. They want to hold a conversation, so they sit with a machine between them, the only one to spare, and then talk to each other . The spittle shower can get amazing at times.

I wipe down before, after, and during. Weight and cardio. I also part more than five steps from the gym doors instead of sitting in my car half an hour waiting for rock star parking, you know, since I sort of planned on doing something anyway.
  • annew1952
    annew1952 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I agree a lot of people don't do it and it is annoying. But it is true you don't see people wiping weights.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I googled "sweaty gym equipment" in the hopes of a funny image....but then I got distracted by the results.....I will GLADLY wipe down this peice of equipment after I use it

Hot-Sexy-Male-Bodybuilders-Gallery-27-001.jpg