High Fructose Corn Syrup in my Light YOGURT

Options
Wecandothis
Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
I'm so annoyed. I've always thought this was super healthy. It's light and fat free.

Blah.

Replies

• April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I have noticed alot lately that low fat or fat free products have HFCS. That's why most of the time regular is better than fat free. Isn't that crazy. I don't go by fat free because usually the calories are almost the same as regular.
  • GraceKelly
    GraceKelly Posts: 7,378
    Options
    Maybe its the brand. I compared a box of FiberOne bars, to the GV bars, (supposedly the same) the Great Vale had it, but not the Fiber One.
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Just noticed this last night when buying Stonyfield yogurt - there was more sugar in the fat free than low fat version. I bought the low fat instead!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Often, light and fat-free products are the ones you need to stay away from. They're usually packed with nasty sugars to compensate for the lower fat content.
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    OH sure, now that I've gotten my fat intake under control by eating those things, NOW you tell me my sugar is too high with those same things. Sigh. :sad:

Thanks for the info, though, I hadn't realized that.
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    Try switching to a greek yogurt. Usually made with real sugar, no fat and higher in protein. I just got hooked on chobani. It's a bit more expensive, but I would rather put healthy stuff in my body.
  • rtmama
    Options
    You might want to take a look at this recent thread
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/62641-sugar-the-bitter-truth

It's a really long video, and it's really boring and over my head in the middle, but the end pulls it all together and sums it up.

I won't eliminate sugar from my diet all together, but it's something to think about. sugar is sugar no matter which form it is in.
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    Yeah, the day when I started reading the label of everything I purchase was a sad one.

Needless to say, I don't buy that stuff anymore.
  • lnheller
    Options
    Breyers light yogurt....tastes great and NO HFCS! Fat free, only 80 calories per serving.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I'm so annoyed. I've always thought this was super healthy. It's light and fat free.

Blah.

That is why full fat products are the way to go.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    You might want to take a look at this recent thread
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/62641-sugar-the-bitter-truth

It's a really long video, and it's really boring and over my head in the middle, but the end pulls it all together and sums it up.

I won't eliminate sugar from my diet all together, but it's something to think about. sugar is sugar no matter which form it is in.

It is something to be controlled, even in the most natural form, aka fruit and high sugar containing veggies.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I like the 2% dairy--still enough fat in it and (usually) no added sugars/HFCS--still have to read those labels though.
  • sibetsimo
    Options
    Is high fructose corn syrup the same as modified corn starch (that's what's in my yogourt's ingredient list)?
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    HFCS is in so many things!! Yogurt, ketchup, BBQ sauces, cereals, etc. Once you start reading labels, you really notice it!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    In Canada, you'll find HFCS as glucose-fructose. Basically, you need to be on the lookout for all types of added sugar:

Brown sugar
    Invert sugar
    Corn sweetener
    Lactose
    Corn syrup
    Maltose
    Dextrose
    Malt syrup
    Fructose
    Molasses
    Fruit juice concentrates
    Raw sugar
    Glucose
    Sucrose
    High-fructose corn syrup
    Sugar
    Honey
    Syrup
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I want to make a sign and hang it above every yogurt area I see. Something like 'THIS IS NOT REAL YOGURT" or make stickers that says "This yogurt contains NO live cultures".

It's such a marketing ploy. :explode:
  • margaretthedevil
    Options
    I want to make a sign and hang it above every yogurt area I see. Something like 'THIS IS NOT REAL YOGURT" or make stickers that says "This yogurt contains NO live cultures".

No, they contain live cultures...it's not a marketing ploy. It's just that they also contain HFCS and call it "low-fat", which is technically true, according the nutritional facts. But a diet high in HFCS is a diet high in fat as the sugar will get converted into fat. If you really want the benefits of yogurt without having to eat it, just buy probiotics in a bottle.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

No, they contain live cultures...it's not a marketing ploy. It's just that they also contain HFCS and call it "low-fat", which is technically true, according the nutritional facts. But a diet high in HFCS is a diet high in fat as the sugar will get converted into fat. If you really want the benefits of yogurt without having to eat it, just buy probiotics in a bottle.

There are some available here that have NO live cultures. I swear on it. I also just get sick of people falling for the marketing that this 'fake yogurt' will somehow help weight loss/health. Just a crock.
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    After seeing some recommendations for it on this site tonight I tried Greek Yogurt, Honey flavored. I LOVE it. It is not low fat, 4 oz has 160 calories and 10 grams of fat. However, it is healthy, no chemical additives, only live cultures and honey for sweetness, no HFCS, no artifical colors, no glucose, or sucrose. Very yummy, will definitely be a staple for me now. With all of my exercising I'm almost always short on calories and fat anyway so this is a great way to add back some protein and calcium.
  • rtmama
    Options
    HFCS is in so many things!! Yogurt, ketchup, BBQ sauces, cereals, etc. Once you start reading labels, you really notice it!

I was shocked when I saw it in corn flakes and rice krispies!!! huh?? It's just sick!