government and politics should we care?

Options
OTchic
OTchic Posts: 205 Member
I got asked why I am not involved in the whole goverment and politics world and I told them I have other stuff to worry about and I simply wasn't interested in it. Am I the only one who feels this way? Should I be more involved and maybe pay attention to what is going on. I guess I should pay attention but I don't put much thought into it.

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Yes. You should.
  • ajohn252
    ajohn252 Posts: 158
    Options
    I think personally local politics and elections matter more in a certain
    sense so if you were going to vote in anything those are the key ones.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    You should be aware of what's going on around you.

I read once that the electoral college was put in place rather than a straight up popular vote system because the common, unwashed masses were thought to be too ignorant and uneducated to make an informed vote.
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I got asked why I am not involved in the whole goverment and politics world and I told them I have other stuff to worry about and I simply wasn't interested in it. Am I the only one who feels this way? Should I be more involved and maybe pay attention to what is going on. I guess I should pay attention but I don't put much thought into it.

What are your thoughts?

I'm the same as you, thats why I try not to complain too much because I really dont have the right to.
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Yes, and here's why:

Assuming you are a citizen of a democracy, your lack of engagement in the political process is a dereliction of your duty as a citizen. Apathy toward and wanton ignorance of the political process is the shortest route to a monopoly of politicians who fail to represent the views of the moderate majority.

I hope you don't presume to call yourself a patriot, or complain vocally about political outcomes you find unsatisfactory. If you prefer to ignore politics and government, you have no right to dissatisfaction when you find yourself governed by warmongers, bigots and fools.
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    IMO the biggest threat to America today is apathy. Close second is willful ignorance.