Vegetarian substitute for chicken broth?

Options
dcglobalgirl
dcglobalgirl Posts: 207 Member
Hey vegetarians,

I'm not vegetarian but I'm making a recipe (soup) for a potluck and I want as many people as possible to be able to enjoy it. The only meat thing is the chicken broth. What would be a good substitute that would keep the flavor as close as possible?

Thanks!
Rachel

Replies

• jollycathy
    jollycathy Posts: 15
    Options
    The small glass jars of "jellie" called 'better than boulion' (spelling might be off) have a chicken that is amazing and contains no chicken
  • patriot201
    patriot201 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I just use vegetable broth.
  • BethJamo71
    BethJamo71 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Most stores sell Veggie broth. It should be sold right next to the chicken broth
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I use vegetarian Better Than Bullion.
  • devonette
    devonette Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Use the Vegetable Broth that's usually sold next to the Chicken Broth. They taste very similar, mainly because of the sodium content.
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posters who suggest vegetable broth. Personally, I'm very wary of anything vegetarian product that tries too hard to be meat. If you want more meaty/umami flavour, try the following, and make sure to use lots of mushroom trimmings. For obvious reasons, making your own stock is more economical the more your rely on vegetable trimmings (which can include things you otherwise would not eat whole, like celery, carrot, and onion ends, cores, etc):

To make a decent vegetable stock. use a mirepoix (a base of carrot, onion, and celery is the standard, although mushrooms should also be mandatory for veggie stock) and aromatics (garlic cloves, a few peppercorns, a bay leaf, parsley, rosemary, thyme) and other veggie trimmings saved from the week, such as squash peelings, tomato ends, garlic and onion skins (be careful to avoid any with black spots/mould), bell pepper trimmings, mushroom stems, corn cobs, etc. Avoid "stinky" vegetables, such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, turnips etc, as well as beets (due to the huge amount of pigment). Place it all in a pot, fill it just until covered (watch closely for when the veggies start to all float off the bottom. Stop adding water at that point), and bring to a gently bubbling simmer (not a boil) for about 45 minutes, sometimes a bit more. Veggies used should reach a very soft stage, without disintegrating, as you are trying to extract all of the flavour from them that you can. Strain, and voila: vegetable stock.
  • dcglobalgirl
    dcglobalgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Thanks everybody!! This is very helpful! :flowerforyou:
    Rachel
  • Rhonda55gf
    Rhonda55gf Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use "Better than Bouillon" chicken and beef broth. My daughter is vegetarian. ON the Front of the label it says "MADE FROM CHICKEN MEAT WITH NATURAL JUICES". The beef is also made with beef. However, They do make a vegetable base. I absolutely love ALL OF THEM! Just wanted you to know.