Underweight with a swollen belly - why?

Hi everyone, I could use some perspective, especially from people who are or have been under normal weight. I'm on here to gain weight for health reasons, but I do have a more aesthetic problem. I'm pretty skinny all over except for my stomach - it always looks swollen, like I'm pregnant (but I'm not and never have been).

My sister theorized that it could be edema, but I'm eating more calories now and my healthy diet gets me all the protein and other nutrients that I need. My liver is fine, so I don't think it's a fatty liver. I don't have major digestive problems except for lactose intolerance (I cut dairy out recently because of that). Anyone have a theory on what could cause this?
Would exercises like crunches and sit-ups help make my stomach look better, or is it just more of a matter of gaining enough weight to get out of starvation mode?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Make a doctor's appointment to rule out anything.
  • tangoa24
    tangoa24 Posts: 27
    definitely check with your doctor. while i am definitely not underweight, i have PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) and one of it's symptoms is gaining weight in your abdomen. you could also have a distended stomach if you have any kind of digestive issues. overall, i would recommend going to your doctor and asking.
  • under weight, swollen belly and food intolerances or allergies are symptoms of Celiac's Disease. Definitely see a doctor.
  • eireannyoung
    eireannyoung Posts: 154 Member
    Thanks for the replies. I do intend on seeing a doctor, but it didn't seem an immediate issue as I'm not experiencing pain or anything. I actually went gluten-free last March for another reason (being gluten-free cured my friend's schizophrenia, and I thought it might help my anxiety - it didn't, but I felt better in general so kept on with it). I'll go and get some tests soon. It's helpful to post this here, though, so I know what kind of tests I should ask for.
  • tangoa24
    tangoa24 Posts: 27
    Anxiety is another symptom of PCOS. It's not easy to diagnose, so your general doc may not catch it. My OBGYN was the one to diagnose, and that only after I asked about it - my cousin found out when she was having difficulty getting pregnant. It's extremely common, especially for women in their 20s, so definitely ask about it.