Doctor's Advice - Scale Fanatics

Options
ivykivy
ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
Today my dad went to the doctor and he gained a lb. The doctor told him not the focus on the scale to look at how your clothes fit.

Go and do likewise:flowerforyou:

Replies

• AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I get excited when I think my jeans are looser, but then I can't remember if maybe I already wore them once since I washed them, or if I dried them on low heat instead of high. Oh, and then a pair that I put on one day and thought they felt better, I kneeled down in them and ripped the *kitten*!! :laugh:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    Ayup. In 5 weeks, I've only lost (and kept off) about a pound. Tape measure isn't telling me good things either. But I'm down a full size and can fit into some larger items two sizes down. :love:
  • kak1018
    kak1018 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine who is what I would call "naturally thin" has been telling me this for years, good advice but it is hard to give up the scale. I try to only weigh in once a week.
  • brandyjo
    brandyjo Posts: 47
    Options
    I wish I could give up the scale! I get up every morning and weigh in! I'm addicted. :ohwell:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Jeans are tricky. I can wear fresh out the dryer jeans that are 2-3 sizes too large but when they start to stretch I can embarrass myself. I bend over they bend but when I stand up they don't:laugh:
    Sometimes I get excited when I think my jeans are looser, but then I can't remember if maybe I already wore them once since I washed them, or if I dried them on low heat instead of high. Oh, and then a pair that I put on one day and thought they felt better, I kneeled down in them and ripped the *kitten*!! :laugh:
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    the last time i gave up the scale i was happy to put on ten pounds of course i did not know i was doing it i feel it will some day give back my willpower that i use to have not so long ago
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    Jeans are tricky. I can wear fresh out the dryer jeans that are 2-3 sizes too large but when they start to stretch I can embarrass myself. I bend over they bend but when I stand up they don't:laugh:

Jeans are also tricky because my hips and thighs are a size 8 when my waist is probably like a 4. My waist is getting smaller, but not my hips/thighs/legs :grumble: :angry:
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Well I can no longer weigh myself because my wonderful husband hid my scale since I started working out with my personal trainer. I couldn't and sometimes still can't get in my head the whole thing with losing fat but gaining muscle. So he hid the scale from me and the bad thing is my 9yr old son knows where it is and will not tell me.:laugh:
  • sjmay
    sjmay Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Well I can no longer weigh myself because my wonderful husband hid my scale since I started working out with my personal trainer. I couldn't and sometimes still can't get in my head the whole thing with losing fat but gaining muscle. So he hid the scale from me and the bad thing is my 9yr old son knows where it is and will not tell me.:laugh:

You still haven't found your scale? :smile: i remember reading about it going missing a while back in another thread. Your little boy must be very trustworthy! There are not many children that can keep a secret like that for so long! :noway:

Good luck in the rest of your journey! :flowerforyou:
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    all I have to say is "easier said than done!"
  • April0815
    Options

You still haven't found your scale? :smile: i remember reading about it going missing a while back in another thread. Your little boy must be very trustworthy! There are not many children that can keep a secret like that for so long! :noway:

Good luck in the rest of your journey! :flowerforyou:

Well when my husband first hid the scale he left to go offshore. That same day my son was leaving to go to Mississippi to spend time with his grandparents and that's when he told me I can't tell you where your scale is. He(my son) has come home and went back. I work and there is no more camp so he went for 2 weeks came home and is gone til the end of this week then school starts. Anyway when he came home he said again I still can't tell you where your scale is. I'm sure I could bribe him:laugh: but i'm kind of over it now, I will just wait to get measured and weighed from my trainer.

And get this the day my husband came in from offshore he had nerve to get the scale out from hiding and weigh himself and and told me to go ahead and weigh, I told him NOPE!!!!! I will wait, Thank you.:mad: The nerve of him.:laugh:
  • proctor0828
    Options
    I can't!!! If I step away from the scale to long then I get off track and the lbs come creeping back. I have to obsess myself with it or I don't stay focused!!
  • April0815
    Options
    I just try and track my progress by how my clothes fit.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Scale can be your enemy when you are trying to lose weight but it's a great tool to maintenant.
    If I keep weight myself once a week or a month, I would not let me gain this much weight.
    :sad:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I am a daily weigher, but I have a couple of threads that I post the weight on once a week. I think the once a week posting helps because I can look back and see that in the last 6 weeks, I lost 7 lbs. I will admit that by weighing daily, I sometimes lose sight of the bigger picture. That being said, I tried going to once a week weigh ins, and I just can't do it.