Margarine vs. Butter

Options
I know that Smart Balance and some other brands of margarine are supposedly "healthy". I've never had any of these before. I was just wondering what your thoughts were on margarine vs. butter. Do you prefer a pat of the real butter or more of the margarine? One of my friends refuses to use butter because of it's fat so I just wanted to see what others thought. Thanks!

Replies

• MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I personally use real butter as often as I can. Trans fats are much worse than the fat in butter, and there is a great post in the 150 healthiest foods (or whatever) about butter. It's more natural and I choose natural over human-processed as much as possible. With the possible excpetion of donuts, but that's a different story all together!

Here's the post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/57689--7-the-150-healthiest-foods-on-earth
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I use smart balance, although i don't really like butter so I rarely use it but it works for me!

~Leash :heart:
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Butter!!
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Butter
  • nrepley
    nrepley Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Butter is the best for me...I would rather have a small quantity of something I enjoy than a larger quantity of something that is not as pleasing to my palette--Margarine and butter impostors always leave a funky film in my mouth. This is one area I draw the line when it come to my eating habits! No funky film residue in my mouth! However, some people prefer the taste of margarine over butter! To each their own! :smile:
  • amypyr
    amypyr Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Butter . . . It's more natural and tastes better.
  • mead
    mead Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    butter it taste better:blushing: :heart: :love:

20370.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    I like land o lakes light butter, very good!!!
  • csingleton24
    csingleton24 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I too prefer butter over margarine because of it's natural characteristics...that's why I never tried the Smart Balance margarines. I'll be sure to pass that post about the best foods on to my friend! Thanks again!
  • wattsam1
    wattsam1 Posts: 95
    Options
    I grew up on margarine. At reastaurants I love plain old butter on a piece of bread but at home I use I can't believe it's not butter light. It works great in my mac and cheese and cuts down on some calories!
  • KristyO
    KristyO Posts: 126
    Options
    I used to eat I Can't Believe It's Not Butter because it's so nicely spreadable...but I've recently gone natural as well and prefer to have real butter in moderation.
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    Real butter... it's good for skin tone.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I make my own butter. Comes out to about 40cals/tbsp, but much, much more flavor.