Breaking Social Norms Ideas

Hi everyone! This is just a topic for fun.

Im currently taking a Social Psychology class and I was told my new assignment was to break a social norm.

Examples are doing things such as getting in a crowded elevator and turning to face everyone, or going to get fast food and eating on the floor with my food on a chair, or instead of holding the door for someone, shutting it.

Odd assignment, but does anyone have any other ideas I could do to break a social norm??

Replies

• christynek
    christynek Posts: 152 Member
    Well...like four years ago my friends did that for a class and walked around a crowded mall holding hands (two guys). But I hope that the times have changed a little in the past 4 years and it's not that weird anymore. And that is also dependent on where you live and how accepting your town/city is.
  • christynek
    christynek Posts: 152 Member
    Or walking around barefoot (also entirely location dependent)...this is interesting, I shall continue thinking!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Haha that's cute but i would NOT sit on the floor of a fast food place, ew! Just had to say that :tongue:
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Go to a restaurant and order dessert first? Although that's probably a bad suggestion on MFP!

Present a guy with flowers. I feel like that doesn't happen frequently enough, and is probably still socially odd.
  • SSSLLLX3
    SSSLLLX3 Posts: 22
    Stand in line backward? Hmm well you would be face to face with the person 'behind' you then.

Eat from a cup and drink beverage from a bowl. Hmm I like that one!

I would not want to sit on the floor also :p eww
  • HappyEight
    HappyEight Posts: 40 Member
    Take a blanket and pillow and make yourself comfortable outside somewhere! You could also bring a remote and pretend you're watching tv or something haha
  • Hold a conversation with someone without ever making eye contact. Instead pick a different body part to stare at.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    What about eating in the bathroom and taking a dump on your plate?
  • LesIsMoreXX
    LesIsMoreXX Posts: 169
    I've always gotten a kick out of people who fart in public XD
  • beccag28
    beccag28 Posts: 43 Member
    You could go to the gym wearing something weird like a shirt and tie - exercising and doing your assignment!
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Say "excuse me" when you nearly take someone out because you were texting instead of watching where you were going.

What? You've never been to Hampton Roads? :noway:
  • chatipati1
    chatipati1 Posts: 211 Member
    I was thinking...join people that you don't know for dinner at a restaurant and just sit there...order, and put it on their bill ;)
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    How about the next time someone you don't know well asks how you are, you say lousy, and go on to elaborate?
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    say goodbye when a salutation is called for and a salutation when a goodbye is called for....
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    My dd's class went trick or treating in Jan. I passed out candy canes to them..
  • scorchy808
    scorchy808 Posts: 26
    You could suck your thumb or pick your nose.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Hold a conversation with someone without ever making eye contact. Instead pick a different body part to stare at.

I like this one.

Give people a round of applause for damn near anything.
    Introduce yourself to strangers
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    How about the next time someone you don't know well asks how you are, you say lousy, and go on to elaborate?

This happens all too often in small towns, when passing the time of day with the elderly. They will happily list every ache and pain for you!
  • littlemoonsandy
    littlemoonsandy Posts: 1,930
    I would go to an ice cream place dressed in my heaviest winter gear and order a hot chocolate
  • HappyEight
    HappyEight Posts: 40 Member

I like this one.

Give people a round of applause for damn near anything.
    Introduce yourself to strangers

I like the idea of giving someone a round of applause. Especially if you can make it come across legitimate and not sarcastic.