Am I doing this right? My approach

Options
Hi everyone I would first like to say I am definitely open to your suggestions as I am new here. I will explain what I am currently doing. I am just looking for your opinions on my approach to my weight loss.

Currently I weigh 227 and I am hoping to get down to 175 to be close my suggested BMI. I am 5ft 10 and I am a mechanic so I am on my feet and moving my arms alot and moderate to heavy lifting.

I am currently consuming 1700 calories a day which I have to say I find quite manageable I eat throughout the day and I have control over all of my meals. I have been doing this for about 6 days so far and I feel great. It has been suggested that I consume upwards of 2000 calories a day to be closer in line with my BMR but I still want to lose this weight. I find this to be quite high judging strictly on how hungry I feel. Opinions?

Replies

• cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. If you feel fine at 1700 and have the energy to work and live your life, I think you're fine. If you find that you're having energy problems or feel irritable, etc., you may need to up that a bit.
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    When I started this journey 8 months ago I was eating 1200 calories for a couple of months. I was exercising intensely and was not eating back my exercise calories. I did lose weight but, I hit a plateau . I started wondering what was I doing wrong? I started reading on the forums to eat at one's BMR level . I used the BMR calculator and got a reading of 1360. I upped my calories to that level and the weight loss started again. I continued to exercise at my usual intense but, began to eat back some exercise calories. 3 weeks ago I hit my 2nd plateau but, I broke it by zig zagging my calories which involved 3 days of eating about 1600 -1800 calories and the other days eat at my BMR . Those two methods worked very well for me. I became a convert of the philosophy of " eat more to weigh less." It was trial & error for me but it worked.
  • rukcus
    rukcus Posts: 58
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your experiences. It definitely helped guide me to the right path.