want to start running with me?

Options
vsetter
vsetter Posts: 558 Member
I am not a runner and have never claimed to be. I have tried running a few times in my life and LOVE the results that it gives me, but I always end up getting bored and quitting. I have never enjoyed running, but I have never really given myself enough time to get used to it. You can't even call what I did running, it's more or less jogging/really fast walking....haha.

Anyway --- I worked a 5K race this past weekend and it was so motivating. Such a positive energy in the crowd and some very fit people. It has made me want to try again, but I am going to need some support to keep me going. I would like to give it enough time to see if maybe my "dislike" for running can become a "like". Is that possible?

Is there anyone out there that wants to run, but would be starting from square 1? I'm looking for some brand new runners to tackle this challenge with me. Anyone????

Replies

• Audrey403
    Audrey403 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hey, just wanted to say there is hope! I was a huge hater for so long. I refused to run the mile in high school and ended up walking the track for the duration of the class just to complete the mandatory mile. I was always the type of person to say, "Oh, I can't run, but I can power walk until the cows come home!"

What I've learned though, is that I don't actually hate running, I hated the idea of doing the hard work! To me, running is one of the most difficult exercises I do.

Anywho, after completing the couch to 5k program (check it out it's awesome and it totally works: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml) I love running. I have officially ran two 5k's now, and I'm planning more!

Good luck!
  • vsetter
    Options
    Hey, just wanted to say there is hope! I was a huge hater for so long. I refused to run the mile in high school and ended up walking the track for the duration of the class just to complete the mandatory mile. I was always the type of person to say, "Oh, I can't run, but I can power walk until the cows come home!"

What I've learned though, is that I don't actually hate running, I hated the idea of doing the hard work! To me, running is one of the most difficult exercises I do.

Anywho, after completing the couch to 5k program (check it out it's awesome and it totally works: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml) I love running. I have officially ran two 5k's now, and I'm planning more!

Good luck!

Haha....that is me to a tee....exactly. When I was in high school preparing for that one mile run, I would always skip laps. And yep --- I can hike all day (hiked 10 miles the other day), but don't feel that I can run. Thanks for encouragement! :)
  • irishdancer23
    irishdancer23 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    i'll start with you! i'm kind of struggling right now with eating and such, but i know i need to get my journey back on track. i'll try my best!
  • irishdancer23
    irishdancer23 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    oh and that is totally me with the power walking. i could probably power walk all day. but after running for even a minute i want to lay down and die...
  • DLSlim
    DLSlim Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to love running. Just yesterday I ran a complete mile on the treadmill. I'm not sure I've ever run a complete mile before without a break, so that seemed like a huge accomplishment to me! I'll be doing the Color Run in Philadelphia on 7/8, so I'd better learn to love it soon!

Feel free to add me! I've been on the site for a few years now, but I just made a new profile, so I have no friends. Wah-wah-wah.
  • k8es
    k8es Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'd love to join you. I also don't "love" running, but would love to love it :) I'm doing the C25K right now and just started week 5, guess that's not technically square one, but I definitely still consider myself starting out! Feel free to add me if you're interested!
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    oh and that is totally me with the power walking. i could probably power walk all day. but after running for even a minute i want to lay down and die...

This is what I felt a few months ago and I just ran my first 10k this past Sunday.

Don't give up. Do a little bit more each day. Run when you can. Walk when you have to.

Keep the momentum!

meaftertherun.jpg
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    want to start running with me?

No thanks but thanks for asking. :smile:
  • africaa
    africaa Posts: 228
    Options
    I would love to ...but when I run it makes my back hurt :(
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    i think i am still brand new...i may be halve through my training with 5k plan but can only run/jog 10minutes...i started at 30sec..running so yea i still trying..it is motivating..plz add!
  • MargaretPetersBergen
    Options
    I am trying to convince myself to learn how to run...so the timing is perfect! I always speed walk but can't seem to make myself run:-( I have decided to try and go jogging 3x/week. I haven't started yet so I am definitely starting from square one! You can add me as your friend and we can encourage one another:-) Good luck!
  • PMPB7
    PMPB7 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I would love to start running, again. HA. I use to be a huge runner about 20 years ago in my late teens early twenties. Our family ran races all the time. Then I got married and have two teens now. Kinda let it all go. I just started really walking and exercising again. I ran a little tonight on the treadmill, well, a few minutes from time to time, or all together. LOL. I would be starting from square 1. It has been two decades. Count me in. What goals or plan would you like to set?
  • vsetter
    Options
    I am using a treadmill mostly. I usually can't exercise until after the kids go to sleep. My thought is to start with 3x per week, 30 minutes each time. Walking on the treadmill and running for as long as possible, walking when I no longer enjoy it. Last night I tried it. I walked for 6 minutes, jogged (only at 4 miles per hour) for 15 minutes or 1 mile, and then walked the rest. Taking tonight off.

I'm not sure what my plan for tomorrow should be. I'm torn between staying at 4mph and increasing my time OR increasing my speed and keeping my distance the same (just a faster mile).

I'm still working on the details :)
  • PMPB7
    PMPB7 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi, Your running plan is just like mine. I am mostly on treadmill too. I run for however many minutes I can take it and then walk. Walk about 3.2 and run about 3.5. 30 min for a whole treadmill workout. I workout at the local Y so I do some stationary bike as well and some weights. I will keep this up for now. I would like to train for a 5k run in the Fall sometime. We could make a race like that a first goal?
  • ashshields12
    ashshields12 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have just started running today. Today was my first day, I am doing the C210K program :-)