Smoothies

Options
marynmarty
marynmarty Posts: 89 Member
My husband just bought me a smoothie maker and I'm on the look for healthy recipes for different HEALTHY smoothies that taste really yummy lol. If you have any please pass on to me...Thanks bunches!!

Replies

• ccalwell
    ccalwell Posts: 2
    Options
    I've been making Blueberry Banana Smoothies for the last few weeks, and use them almost as a meal. Here's the ingredients...

7-8 Ice Cubes
    1 cup blueberries
    1 Banana
    1 cup vanilla yogurt
    1/2 cup 1% Milk
    1 tsp Vanilla Extract

I blend it all together in a blender for about 20 seconds.

This makes 2 servings and works out to 231 calories per serving. I am using Dole frozen from Costco now, but will use fresh blueberries when they come into season later this month.
  • bbchickpea
    bbchickpea Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Until recently all my smoothies had milk and fruit (no veg) but I looked up how to get more vitamins and for days you've had enough dairy and i've been playing with these over the last couple of weeks. They've been suprisingly good. I use the info below as a guide and play around with ingredients.

Big Blend Smoothie Recipe
    1 – I start with 3/4 to 1 cup of water.
    2 – Then I choose three vegetables. Typically, I use about 3 cups or large handfuls of spinach, one whole carrot and one or two small vine tomatoes.
    3 – Next, I choose three fruits. I start with either mango, pear or apple for the base, then I add one whole orange and either 1 cup blueberries, strawberries or pineapple to flavor.
    4 – Sometimes, I will add about 1/4-1/3 avocado which helps give the smoothie a nice creamy texture while boosting the calories and healthy fat content to make the smoothie more satisfying.
    5 – Add all the ingredients except for the greens to your blender, and hit the “pulse” button a few times. Next, add the greens and blend on high for 30 seconds or until the smoothie is creamy.

Today I used Water, Spinach, Carrot (only half chopped in small chunks) Mango, Blueberries, Strawberries & added a banana instead of avocado. It was really tasty and low cal/ fat and not too high on sugar.

EDITED To say: I got these recipes from http://www.incrediblesmoothies.com/green-smoothie-recipes/

I've found loads on there - Don't want anyone to think i'd taken the credit for the recipe ; )
  • anirbas99
    anirbas99 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have the following smootie 5 days a week for breakfast:
    1 scoop Soy Protein mix Vanilla
    1 cup of frozen fruit
    1-2 cups fresh or frozen spinach
    4-6 oz water

Blend that up. Blue berries & strawberries are what I find best. It is 254 calories for the whole thing.
    S^3
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I just throw a handful or two of any frozen fruit, a couple tablespoons of yogurt, half of a frozen banana and some almond milk into the blender. You can pretty much put anything in as long as you have something frozen to make it cold.
  • jwh225
    jwh225 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Here's mine.

1 cup milk, 2%, skim, Almond, whatever.
    1 cup frozen mixed berries.
    1/2 frozen banana, sliced.

Put blender on crushed ice mode to break up. Gradually increase speed to high for about 30 sec.

Enjoy.
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I am trying to find some that are not full of sugar
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    I thoroughly enjoy this for breakfast and it makes a lot!

1 c silk almond milk unsweetened
    1/4 c plain Greek yogurt
    1/2 cup blueberries
    1/2 c strawberries
    1/4 c raspberries
    1/2 small banana
    1 scoop isofemme chocolate whey protein
    8-10 ice cubes

Blend until ice is entirely crushed. About 340 calories and lots of nutrients! Mmmmmm.....I'm going to go make mine! :smile:
  • evademers
    evademers Posts: 55
    Options
    I use Herbalife shakes which have lots of vitamins and minerals your body needs everyday! I use 2 scoops of Herbalife, frozen fruits and almond milk and ice. They are delicious and SOOO good for you, it costs 44.00 every 2 weeks but is worth it! I use it for breakfast and lunch and munch on veggies in between the shakes. If you would like to get Herbalife just let me know! Look it up on the internet and it will give you all the info you need to know. Let me know if interested :) Eva
  • evademers
    evademers Posts: 55
    Options
    oh and its roughly 250 calories
  • kikilorain
    kikilorain Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above post about vegetables... it's easy to sneak in some carrots, cucumbers, beets, and spinach in a fruit smoothie. I also like to add soft tofu and some fresh ginger if I want a kick.
  • lniber22
    lniber22 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I too am wanting to do smoothies but I want to have it ready for after my workout in the am. Can a make ahead of time and either freeze or just refridgerate? Has anybody done that? Not sure if I can make the night before or an hour beforehand?
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, dairy makes smoothies gross. Adding yogurt makes my mouth feel all sticky. So I just use orange juice, a fresh banana, and frozen fruit. The banana adds all the sweetness you need and the frozen fruit keeps it cold.
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    dashingdish.com has some great protein shake recipes!
  • shannonperry13
    Options
    i tried throwing spinach in mine, and i know they say you aren't supposed to taste it, but i just couldn't keep making myself drink it. i use

1 cup blueberries or strawberries
    1/2 cup frozen banana slices
    1/2 cup or a 3 oz yogurt (plain or whatever greek i can get on sale)
    1 cup skim milk

yummy! feels like i'm drinking a milk shake. i do prefer blueberry over strawberry. :)
  • shannonperry13
    Options
    another one i like is 1 cup strawberries, 1/2 cup bananas, 1 cup OJ. (all fruits should be frozen)
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    bumping so i can check this out later.... :happy:
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    My husband makes this with almond milk and acai juice. He sometimes adds a small scoop of non fat frozen yogurt to make it creamy and shake like.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/buff-smoothie-recipe/index.html
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    the best thing i found on this site so far has been the spinach smoothy, it gets me a packed 2 cups (plus) fresh spinach, i throw in a tomato, a mini cucumber, handful of mini carrots, a cup of fresh pineapple and a banana and a cup of water, blend it into a smoothy, its a sweet treat and i ate my veggies, i feel like i'm cheating because its like having dessert
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    http://greenmonstermovement.com/

The key to adding spinach or kale to the smoothie is to steam it in the microwave first... once it's mixed in the smoothie I promise you will never taste it.
  • bbchickpea
    bbchickpea Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    dashingdish.com has some great protein shake recipes!

Thanks for the link, what a great website!