Exercise terms on myfitness pal, help please

Options
So you know how there are things we do that burn calories that aren't "exercise"? Like playing out in the yard with a toddler, playing at the park, and "doing it". How do you log those things if they aren't in the database and you don't really know how many calories you are burning or anything?

Replies

• missy_1975
    missy_1975 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Buy a HRM, it's the only way to log exercise with any accuracy.
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I agree with the HRM. I was surprised at how little calories some things actually burn and how many others can burn. It will set you back about $70 to $100 but it is an invaluable tool for calculating your exercise calories. I've learned that dancing burns far more calories than a yoga or Pilates class. Walking pulling a wagon with a kid pr two burns a lot more than simply walking outside briskly. Walking up and down hills burns far more than walking on level ground. Weight lifting/circuit training burns far less for me than doing the elliptical. However, I know that all of them are good and made the decision to try and sculpt my body in addition to lose weight.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    People have done research on some of these things (for example, doing it, which burns about as many calories as yoga, pilates, and gentle stretching), so I often Google and then find an exercise in the database which is similar in calories burned..
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt really bother logging them, just calculatethe kind of lifestyle you have. Do you do them often? If so set yourself as lightly active or something. I think its easy to convince yourself that logging those gives you 'exercise calories' to eat back, when really exercise calories mostly apply to heavier exercise where you burn a considerable amount. :)
  • AdrienneP1980
    Options
    Thanks guys-I work through the week and do housekeeping late at night after my daughter goes to bed. So the weekends are playdate days. We (my husband, daughter, and I) REALLY play. We run around and play tag in the yard, go for nature walks, play at the park, all sorts of stuff.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I still wouldnt log it, just acknowledge that you do it, and count it towards being extra help to get you towards your goal. Youre not going to end up in a huge calorie deficit by playing unless youre doing it for hours and are our of breath aerobically that whole time. I'd just see it as a 'healthy extra'...something that will contribute towards a healthier lifestyle, but not an actual workout x
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I still wouldnt log it, just acknowledge that you do it, and count it towards being extra help to get you towards your goal. Youre not going to end up in a huge calorie deficit by playing unless youre doing it for hours and are our of breath aerobically that whole time. I'd just see it as a 'healthy extra'...something that will contribute towards a healthier lifestyle, but not an actual workout x

I agree with this. There isn't a huge calorie deficit going on there to make a considerable impression. In addition to possibly underestimating meals/food it might throw you off. Underestimate cals burned, overestimate food!