HRM

Options
just looking to purchase a HRM, does anyone have one that they love or want to get they heard was amazing?

let me know make/model : )

also the best place for one to be worn, around chest or wrist!!!

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Chest strap. More accurate. Closer to the heart.

I have the Reebok Precision XT. Caught it on a sale at woot.com for $20 + $5 shipping. Had it for a year. Adore it.
  • magglett
    magglett Posts: 2,000
    Options
    Hi there: I just the other day went and got myself a Heart Rate Monitor. It's a Suunto t3c. It apparently does everything but make dinner for you. I really only use it right now to calculate my calories burned ... but some of the HRMs don't do that. I'm excited ... and now that I've figured it out I'm even more excited about it. I spoke with a fitness instuctor before I started looking for one and she advised me that the chest strap is the most accurate. She also told me to make sure it had a feature that blocked other signals which is something I never thought about. If you happen to be near someone with a HRM on and you don't have this blocking feature it might pick up their heart rate instead of yours. She said it has been a problem in the fitness class atmosphere when a few people were wearing them. Hmmm ... who knew eh?

7167ce21-f351-442d-ba32-3c09abd190af.jpg
    [/quote]
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    polar makes lots of good ones, to fit any type of athlete. From inexpensive, to WOW!

if you go to www.polarusa.com you can see all of them and see if there's one you like.

if you find one DON'T BUY IT THROUGH THEM! You can usually get them on ebay or amazon.com
    for about 2/3's the price.
  • debb1985
    debb1985 Posts: 19
    Options
    I would recommend one with a chest strap - they work very well and are accurate. I have a Polar F4 and I love it. I work out in a small gym and no one else has one so it doesn't interfere with anyone's machine. If you work out in a big gym, get the F6 because the strap is coded and won't interfere with anyone's machine.
  • bates
    bates Posts: 122
    Options
    so when you get a HRM can you just get the watch, or do you need the chest strap as well?
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Lots of them come with the chest strap, at least from what I've seen. I'd get both, personally.
  • bates
    Options
    Lots of them come with the chest strap, at least from what I've seen. I'd get both, personally.

lauryn you are always there when I need you!!!!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I just bought the nikey Imara. It's good, I'm happy with it. I had trouble following the instructions to set it up - that was totally foreign (IKEA style) instructions.
    I chose it because the sales person told me about the interference other models have experienced. The polar she did have in stock was not shielded and she told me I'd be better off with the nikey.
    I have noticed that when I'm in my car, it does not work... then I need to reset it as it will not pick up my heart rate once I'm out of the car.
  • magglett
    magglett Posts: 2,000
    Options

lauryn you are always there when I need you!!!!

Mine came with both the chest strap (which takes the reading) and the watch (which displays the reading).
  • shutter_bug7783
    Options
    so when you get a HRM can you just get the watch, or do you need the chest strap as well?

If you have a HRM with the chest strap it will be way more accurate than one without.

I have a Polar F6 (got it for around $100 at Sports Authority) and I absolutely LOVE IT! I don't know how I ever worked out without it! It keeps track of just about everything. I love being able to see the percentage of fat burned after the workout. The Polar also gives you the totals for the week every Sunday night at midnight. Your total exercise time, calories burned, HR zones (and how much time was spent in light, moderate and hard zones) and the number of times you worked out.

If you're worried about having the strap being uncomfortable, I can't even tell I'm wearing the strap. Of course, I'm a girl and wear a bra so I'm used to something being around my midsection where the strap is supposed to be worn. So if you're a guy, it might be a little uncomfortable at first but shouldn't be too bad.

Anyway, good luck with finding the HRM that's right for you!
  • teeneu
    teeneu Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar F6 too and I love it. It came with the chest strap. The strap doesn't really bother me I just wear it under my bra. It's a great one and well worth the money!!
  • bates
    Options
    my only concern with purchasing one, is actually purchasing it, I'm a lowly intern and $100 is quite a dent in the ole pocket book
  • RecliningFigure
    RecliningFigure Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I just received my Polar F6 today! Can't wait to try it out tomorrow. We'll see if the machines at the gym are anywhere accurate for me.

Intern, huh? That means you're pretty young, right? That also means that you're experienced on EBay or Craig's list? Personally, I don't trust them. But my nephews and nieces shop there all the time, and they don't seem to have problems. Sorry if I guessed wrong. From what I've read, the cheap ones are about the same all around (probably around $35 - $75). But I've read that they tend to break sometimes (I've seen that complaint more often than the other higher priced ones).The mid priced ones (about $100.00) have a lot of differences, and you have to be more careful. People seem to love the ones by Polar. Then there are the high priced ones that have a lot of technological options. They probably run about $350.00+.

I started a thread I think last week on this very topic, and there were a lot of helpful suggestions from the community. You may want to look it up.
  • bates
    Options
    I just received my Polar F6 today! Can't wait to try it out tomorrow. We'll see if the machines at the gym are anywhere accurate for me.

Intern, huh? That means you're pretty young, right? That also means that you're experienced on EBay or Craig's list? Personally, I don't trust them. But my nephews and nieces shop there all the time, and they don't seem to have problems. Sorry if I guessed wrong. From what I've read, the cheap ones are about the same all around (probably around $35 - $75). But I've read that they tend to break sometimes (I've seen that complaint more often than the other higher priced ones).The mid priced ones (about $100.00) have a lot of differences, and you have to be more careful. People seem to love the ones by Polar. Then there are the high priced ones that have a lot of technological options. They probably run about $350.00+.

I started a thread I think last week on this very topic, and there were a lot of helpful suggestions from the community. You may want to look it up.

You guessed right! But for the young ppart, I dont know, I mean I'm 22 thats pretty old... :bigsmile:
  • RecliningFigure
    RecliningFigure Posts: 214 Member
    Options

You guessed right! But for the young ppart, I dont know, I mean I'm 22 thats pretty old... :bigsmile:

My nephews and nieces are older than you. You're at the beginning of the ride. Enjoy it.:drinker: