Going over in carbs but way under in fat?

Options
luceth
luceth Posts: 3 Member
I've noticed that recently I've been going slightly over in carbs and have been having less than half my allocated fat. I am also still staying under my calories goal so is this okay? Or should I try to even it back out?

Replies

• Assassins_Angel
    Options
    i personally would try lowering your carbs a tad and stay under your daily allowance, i too have had this issue of too many carbs and no weightloss so give that a try :)
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I think when you're getting used to using MFP it's okay to just focus on the calories, but as you get further into it you need to pay attention to your macros, not just for your weight loss but for your overall health. Getting the right balance is important.
  • Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options
    being under your calories IS very important. But there's a lot more than just calories in < calories out, I'm finding. Insulin (the sugar regulating hormone) will be at a high level if you have a high level of carbs in your diet. The more you lower carbs, the more your insulin will calm down. Insulin hormones also tell your fat cells not to let go of their fat unless under dire circumstances.

Your body fat will be more apt to be metabolized if your insulin is at a low. Thats why low carb diets work. The only caveat is that low carb diets aren't always maintainable, if you want to go back to eating chips and pizza. The lower calorie alone diets are easier to maintain, because they go back up to a "maintenance" level after you've slowly lost the weight you wanted to lose and you don't have to deny yourself stuff.

My plan is to stick on this low carb diet, and once I've lost this last 25lbs I want to lose, I'm going to slowly reintroduce carbs by a few grams a week, while staying under my maintenance calorie level, and keep a careful eye on my weight to see where i need to level off. I'll never get back to the level of carbs I used to eat (I was a breadatarian) but I can enjoy crackers and chips occasionally, in moderation, if i keep an eye on my weight in relation to my intake.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that recently I've been going slightly over in carbs and have been having less than half my allocated fat. I am also still staying under my calories goal so is this okay? Or should I try to even it back out?
    There are fat soluble vitamins and also essential fatty acids that you have to eat, so being low on fat isn't a great idea, equally carbs are probably the least helpful thing if you're trying to lose weight. So i would try to even it out - avoid light, low fat or lean versions of things.
  • BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    The more carbs you eat, the more active you need to be to make use of them. Last time I lost 50 lbs I was running everyday and working in some body weight exercise. I ate a large thin crust domino's pizza a day. I also was on my feet for 1 full time job as a sales person and then I delivered pizza for my part time job at dominos. I kept my carbs moderately controlled, my fat low(not even remotely keen on this NOW), and kept a good dietary protein intake. Lost that 50 lbs in 3.5 months easily and would have been fine if I hadn't met a girl that made me stupid(youth made me stupid).

Now I buy into high fat, low carb, high protein. I like this one much better when I am not as active, I still feel incredibly energetic even without doing exercise.