Hello I´m new but I can tell you that swimming is the thing!

Options
Hello all I´m new and I want to tell you that swimming is a great exercise! You won’t feel so tired the next day and you will be able to do some activity in the water frequently, which is great to stay motivated. It will also help you if you have some kind of injury or muscular pain. I learned that if you want to lose some weight swimming you have to do some good laps at least for an hour or so. For that, I suggest buying a comfortable pair of swim goggles and taking some classes at the beginning so you will have the proper technique, it will be fun and you´ll have the opportunity to meet new people.

I tried with the gym at the beginning but I felt very tired the next day, being unable to be constant. I feel that water is more relaxing, and getting into a sport is great for really changing your lifestyle.

Nevertheless from my experience one thing is certain, if you get out of the water and eat like crazy you are not going to lose weight, but if you make the right choices I can assure you will feel healthier and stronger.

I would like to share experiences with anyone interested in swimming, so feel free to add me, and if you know something about swimming please tell me!

Replies

• gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Glad you are enjoying swimming - there is a swimmers group on Mfp. Join us?!
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Friend request on it's way!

I learned to swim as an adult (which is not easy when you panic in deep water!) and kept working on it and ended up doing several triathlons, with up to a mile swim.

I haven't been swimming for years but plan to get back into it, mainly because my recovery from weight lifting precludes a lot of other types of cardio due to muscle fatigue.

Thanks for encouraging others to take up swimming.... there are adult learn to swim lessons, as well as master swim workouts available in every community. :smile:
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Glad you are enjoying swimming - there is a swimmers group on Mfp. Join us?!

Here is a linke to the group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/122-swimmers
  • mommajolynn
    mommajolynn Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I love swimming and I love running. Right now I'm more focused on getting my son to swim than to swim to loose weight haha.
    But I hope to start swimming more and getting all this weight off