US immigration and the ridiculousness of it all

Options

Replies

• kamiAK
    kamiAK Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    for all you complaining about America...what the f"k do you want in for...stay the hell out!
  • CorrieV1976
    CorrieV1976 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    for all you complaining about America...what the f"k do you want in for...stay the hell out!
    Obviously you are getting the wrong message here. I am a US Citizen that didnt have a choice at the age of 7 when i was brought to Canada, I always wanted to be in the US, I am not complaining about the US as a whole I am complaining that they are making it impossible to lay legal claim to US Status for my son....Not really impossible but costly and ridiculous rules for someone who should have an easy time of it.
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    Okay, you got bad info, try calling the USCIS help center 1-800-375- 5283 and talk to at least 2 other officers or talking to an immigration Attorney. Why wont the embassy issue a "report of birth abroad" certificate? Honestly, this sounds more like a Dept of State issue verse Immigration.

But if the State Department cant help you then: How old is your son now? If he was under the age of 18 prior to February of 2001 the Child Citizen Act says a child needs only to have 1 american parent to dirive citizenship from that american parent as long as that parent has custody in which case you need to fill out a form N600, costs about $400, with USCIS. The other thing you could do is just apply for a US passport for your child, give them your birth certificate and your child's birth certificate. Viola, done.

Exactly, I am a german citizen, my husband ist american citizen, both of our children were born in Germany, because of me, they automatically got their german citizenship. Then we went to Munich to the US consulate and they gave us a US Birth certificate (born abroad) for the children. With that we got their US-passports, they are both, german and US Citizen now for their whole life. I don't understand.
  • CorrieV1976
    Options
    Okay, you got bad info, try calling the USCIS help center 1-800-375- 5283 and talk to at least 2 other officers or talking to an immigration Attorney. Why wont the embassy issue a "report of birth abroad" certificate? Honestly, this sounds more like a Dept of State issue verse Immigration.

But if the State Department cant help you then: How old is your son now? If he was under the age of 18 prior to February of 2001 the Child Citizen Act says a child needs only to have 1 american parent to dirive citizenship from that american parent as long as that parent has custody in which case you need to fill out a form N600, costs about $400, with USCIS. The other thing you could do is just apply for a US passport for your child, give them your birth certificate and your child's birth certificate. Viola, done.

Exactly, I am a german citizen, my husband ist american citizen, both of our children were born in Germany, because of me, they automatically got their german citizenship. Then we went to Munich to the US consulate and they gave us a US Birth certificate (born abroad) for the children. With that we got their US-passports, they are both, german and US Citizen now for their whole life. I don't understand.
    I'm assuming that your husband lived in the US after he was 14 for at least 2 years prior to your childrens birth....I didnt that is the whole problem here....I live in the US now but it wasnt prior to him being born,
  • Biggipooh
    Options

I'm assuming that your husband lived in the US after he was 14 for at least 2 years prior to your childrens birth....I didnt that is the whole problem here....I live in the US now but it wasnt prior to him being born,

Aaah, yes, he lived in the US until he was 19, then he came to Germany, and we got our first child when he was 24.
  • CorrieV1976
    Options

Aaah, yes, he lived in the US until he was 19, then he came to Germany, and we got our first child when he was 24.
    That is the problem for me...and I think it's ridiculous. I am just as much American as the next person and should have the same rights...but I dont because when i was little my mom moved me to Canada....
  • Biggipooh
    Options
    Absolutely! This is BS. :angry:
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Wait, sweeping laws that cover millions of people don't aren't always fair and just???
  • CorrieV1976
    Options
    Wait, sweeping laws that cover millions of people don't aren't always fair and just???
    Ya I get that you can not accomodate everyone , but had I lived in the US after the time I was 14 (telling my parents...see ya I think im old enough to be on my own and damn it im moving back to the US) for 2 years , we wouldnt be having this conversation...My son would be able to access citizenship through me. Because I had the crazy notion to live with my parents while I finished school and oh wait grew up - I dont have the same rights of any other American citizen?

better yet when my mom announced to me that she was moving to Canada when i was 7 I should have said...no wait...im not going think i'll just chill here....get a job, go to school and raise myself....
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY ILLEGAL PEOPLE ARE IN THIS COUNTRY, DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY UNPRODUCTIVE LOW LIVES ARE IN THIS COUNTRY??????? that I work and I pay taxes and I AM AN AMERICAN CITIZEN BUT I CAN NOT PASS CITIZENSHIP TO A CHILD THAT I GAVE BIRTH TO???

Surely you're not suggesting that all "unproductive low lives" in this country are here illegally. I'm not sure I like production determining the value of someone's life, either, but that's just me.

Sorry you're having these issues, but I'm sure there are reasons for the immigration law being like that. I'd just have your parents complete the paperwork, pay the $600, and be done with it.
  • CorrieV1976
    Options
    DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY ILLEGAL PEOPLE ARE IN THIS COUNTRY, DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY UNPRODUCTIVE LOW LIVES ARE IN THIS COUNTRY??????? that I work and I pay taxes and I AM AN AMERICAN CITIZEN BUT I CAN NOT PASS CITIZENSHIP TO A CHILD THAT I GAVE BIRTH TO???

Surely you're not suggesting that all "unproductive low lives" in this country are here illegally. I'm not sure I like production determining the value of someone's life, either, but that's just me.

Sorry you're having these issues, but I'm sure there are reasons for the immigration law being like that. I'd just have your parents complete the paperwork, pay the $600, and be done with it.
    I'm sorry that you understood my ranting to say that. I most certainly do not mean that all low lives are illegally in the US. There are many low lives in this world I guess that my whole point to it was that I work my tail off I pay my taxes I do everything legally and it just ends up being more work and more money and total injustice. I apologize that I did not articulate that correctly.
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, but in a little different sense. I am a natural born American Citizen, lived here my whole life. I met my husband who is from the Dominican Republic while he was here playing baseball professionally. We got married and did everything by the book to get his perminant residency. It has cost us over $4000 now and he will be able to apply for his citizenship next month. The problem is, he has a son who is 4 yrs old and still lives in the D.R. We went thru all the proper and legal processes (and cost of $600) to get his visiting visa so that he could come and stay with us for the summer. The US Embassy in the D.R. denied the visa stating that "there is nothing in the D.R. that will ensure him returning"... WTF are you kidding me? His entire family minus his dad lives there and don't you think if we have done EVERYTHING legally at this point that we would continue to do so? Why the hell would we risk my husband losing his status not to mention all the money that we have invested to keep him here illegally? Our system is a complete and total joke! I could go on for days, but it does no good.
  • CorrieV1976
    Options
    I feel your pain, but in a little different sense. I am a natural born American Citizen, lived here my whole life. I met my husband who is from the Dominican Republic while he was here playing baseball professionally. We got married and did everything by the book to get his perminant residency. It has cost us over $4000 now and he will be able to apply for his citizenship next month. The problem is, he has a son who is 4 yrs old and still lives in the D.R. We went thru all the proper and legal processes (and cost of $600) to get his visiting visa so that he could come and stay with us for the summer. The US Embassy in the D.R. denied the visa stating that "there is nothing in the D.R. that will ensure him returning"... WTF are you kidding me? His entire family minus his dad lives there and don't you think if we have done EVERYTHING legally at this point that we would continue to do so? Why the hell would we risk my husband losing his status not to mention all the money that we have invested to keep him here illegally? Our system is a complete and total joke! I could go on for days, but it does no good.
    I'm so sorry it sucks totally. and I agree a total joke!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Ya I get that you can not accomodate everyone , but had I lived in the US after the time I was 14 (telling my parents...see ya I think im old enough to be on my own and damn it im moving back to the US) for 2 years , we wouldnt be having this conversation...My son would be able to access citizenship through me. Because I had the crazy notion to live with my parents while I finished school and oh wait grew up - I dont have the same rights of any other American citizen?

better yet when my mom announced to me that she was moving to Canada when i was 7 I should have said...no wait...im not going think i'll just chill here....get a job, go to school and raise myself....

But you get that all the time. My father (like myself) is a dual citizen with the US. It took 6 years to get my step sister a green card (not citizenship, mind you). These things suck, but they do happen.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    The upside is at least you aren't being denied... and honestly, at least it only costs $600... yes, it's more than $100.... but compared to what foreign nationals pay and have to go through... it's a mere pittance.

eta: I wrote this before reading the pp above me.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I wish the US government can read your post. No wonder why there are so many who are crossing the border illegally. Personally I feel for these people because I know how difficult it is to get a US visa. For non-citizens like us, we have to pass thru a needle hole just to get one, so sad but true :(

EDIT: I forgot to add that we need to have big bucks for that which unfortunately the majority of us don't have.

But if you are not a citizen of ANY Country, there is no RIGHT to give you status to come into that country. The OP was talking about status of a Citizen, and passing that to her children. Inability to get legal papers is not the reason for illegal migration, nor is it a justified excuse.

What the US Gov't is "trying" to do is to limit Illegal Immigration by limiting status via children born in the USA for THAT purpose. The reason it can come via Grand parents is because they are "grandfathered" in so to speak.
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I think unless you actually have had to deal with any immigration issues, many people are very ignorant to what kinds of things are actually taking place in our government. I think if more people were educated about what is really happening behind their backs, maybe things would change. The politicians in this country are all pretty much glorified selfish a-holes in my opinion that really don't give a damn about the American people who are honest and hard working. They tend to cater to all the wrong people. Just my opinion, take it for what you want.
  • CorrieV1976
    Options
    I think unless you actually have had to deal with any immigration issues, many people are very ignorant to what kinds of things are actually taking place in our government. I think if more people were educated about what is really happening behind their backs, maybe things would change. The politicians in this country are all pretty much glorified selfish a-holes in my opinion that really don't give a damn about the American people who are honest and hard working. They tend to cater to all the wrong people. Just my opinion, take it for what you want.

AGREED!!!
  • CorrieV1976
    Options
    I wish the US government can read your post. No wonder why there are so many who are crossing the border illegally. Personally I feel for these people because I know how difficult it is to get a US visa. For non-citizens like us, we have to pass thru a needle hole just to get one, so sad but true :(

EDIT: I forgot to add that we need to have big bucks for that which unfortunately the majority of us don't have.

But if you are not a citizen of ANY Country, there is no RIGHT to give you status to come into that country. The OP was talking about status of a Citizen, and passing that to her children. Inability to get legal papers is not the reason for illegal migration, nor is it a justified excuse.

What the US Gov't is "trying" to do is to limit Illegal Immigration by limiting status via children born in the USA for THAT purpose. The reason it can come via Grand parents is because they are "grandfathered" in so to speak.
    Well noted however, I am his mother. I am a legal and rightful US Citizen. I had my children early and did not have the chance to move back to the US prior to that, AND my oldest son has born abroad status.....it does NOT in any way shape or form make any sense that I can now NOT claim me youngest son. Limit illegal entry thats fine, im all for that, but be consistent in it.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options

I totally agree -- the system is VERY broken, and seems to almost encourage people to give up before the process is complete (they run out of funds to continue, or the means to keep attending hearings that are hours away from their homes), or remain illegal. And yet, most of the people I know that are illegal are the hardest working and most dedicated people I've ever met.

We have a very close friend from Mexico who has lived here for 16 years, and has been married to an American woman for most of that time. His wife suffers from MS, and he was also told that if she died before his green card was granted, he would basically be shackled and deported -- because at her death, he's no longer "married to an American citizen." He has spent the last 7 years slogging through the legal system with people like us testifying and doing paperwork at each step, and his green card is still being delayed by the government.

Even the judge hearing his case has told the government lawyer she is "tired of the government's delays" and wants to grant the green card. However, if she does this, the government can then hold him up in the appeals process for 3 or 4 years afterward -- something his lawyer does not want to subject him to. So we are still waiting.

This man works harder than anyone, has amazing carpentry and renovation skills, and has helped support his wife's (now grown) children and grandchildren all along the way. He takes care of her when she can't even get out of bed. He helps anyone who needs it, anytime.

Meanwhile, there is a house next door to us that has been rented multiple times to families born and raised here in the U.S. Each family has been unemployed, raising multiple children on assistance (and little supervision), and we've had multiple calls for domestic violence and a SWAT team drug raid in the middle of the night.

Go ahead and ask me who I think should stay in this country, and who I think could be shipped somewhere else. It's an easy answer for me. Because it should be about who you are inside, not where you come from, that makes the difference.