Always, always,always tired.....

Options
I may not be asking this in the right place but here goes.. No matter how much I sleep, I am always sooo tired. I have heard working out boosts your energy.... well I'm still waiting on that to happen. Am I the only one that has this problem?

Replies

• Kris1997
    Kris1997 Posts: 241
    Options
    Apparently I am the only one that feels this way....
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Kind of feel that if you are this tired, going to a doctor would be a good thing. thyroid problem, deficient in vitamin D, or make sure nothing worse. If there is something, good idea to check
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Yes, my husband tells me I sleep too much. Found out a couple years ago now that I have Hypothyroidism. One of the symptoms is fatigue. Been feeling it again lately I think I need to go back to the doc.
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    If you're tired a lot no matter how much you sleep, you might want to see a doctor and make sure everything's okay. I am sure you're not the only one on the boards who has experienced fatigue, but I'm hesitant to recommend trying this or that without you seeing a professional who could let you know if the fatigue is indicating something else. Hope you feel better soon!
  • Rozieq84
    Rozieq84 Posts: 38
    Options
    Have you ever had yourself checked for sleep apnea? How old is your mattress? Do you take time to relax before you sleep?
    There are many reasons a person can feel tired, and adjusting to a new eating plan/lifestyle only upsets your routine.

Start taking 15 minutes before you go to sleep to just lay in bed and read. It's a good way to de-stress and it might help you sleep better.

If you snore, there's a chance you could have sleep apnea, or some other sleep disorder. Talk to your doctor about those possibilities. I personally have a genetic anemia, which makes me tired sometimes if my iron drops too low. Check with your doctor if maybe you're just anemic? (don't automatically just jump to taking Iron pills, try to get more iron in your diet).

Then there's the good old mattress - if it's more than 10 years old and it's a traditional inner coil mattress it probably needs some love.

Hope something here helps, and good luck getting some rest. It's tough!
  • lorim77
    lorim77 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Increase, increase, increase your calories.
    I felt the same way. Was working out 5-6 days a week, 1200 calories per day. Felt like a zombie. Then, after reading the posts on MFP, I bit the bullet and increased to 1400 and ate back some of my exercise calories. Wow! The difference was almost immediate.
    If that doesn't help- maybe you should go see your Dr. A check up never hurt anyone.
  • rednblack84
    Options
    See a doctor, but in the meantime look at the amount of carbs that you are taking in. Diets with low carbs can lead to lack of energy. This has crept up on me that past couple of weeks. I was only getting about 30% carbs. I do much better in the 40-50% carb range.
  • DonttrythatwithME
    DonttrythatwithME Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    how much are you eating? what types of things are you eating?
  • Agirard25
    Agirard25 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i used to feel exactly the same! what worked for me was to take a multi vitamin...my iron was super low!!! go to your dr and have them check you out!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Check Vit D levels and thyroid. Check for sleep apnea too, especially if you're obese.

As for the energy from exercise...it took me at least 3 months of regular exercise before I started feeling an energy boost. And even then, it was for a couple hours after exercise and that's it. 8 months later it's still the same. Energy boost for a couple hours afterwards then back to being tired. But to be fair, I am hypothyroid LOL.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I'm with the above posters, might want to see your doctor, but a cautionary tale here also, your diary is private so no idea what you are eating and that can have tremendous impact on energy levels. When I started I bought into the whole 1200 calories a day gig and I was exhausted all the time. I have a busy job and I was working out and my BMR is in the 1400's, geez no wonder I was exhaused, I was so underfunding my bodies fuel needs. Upped my protein and my calories to something closer to my BMR (a bit over) and surprise, I could get through the day without passing out. Well there's my experience.
  • angella_zumba
    Options
    NOPE YOU ARE NOT!!! I DO TOO!! I THINK THAT MAYBE ITS THE FOOD THAT I EAT?? AND NOT ENOUGH FOOD! ??? DON'T KNOW FOR SURE!
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're sleeping too much. I feel groggy all day if I sleep more than 7 hours at night.

Last spring, I was tired all the time and found out that I had a vitamin B12 deficiency. I started vitamin B12 supplementation and my energy has returned. A few other causes of fatigue: depression, anemia, fybromyalgia (fatigue with an achy all over feeling), and, as others have mentioned, hypothyroidism. You should go see a dr. if you continue to feel tired all the time.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Or, you might be like me, just lazy. Lol. It's not always that complicated.
  • StepheniCarman
    Options
    Could be a number of things: a vitiman deficiency, low iron, depression, low thyriod, sleep apnea, etc. I agree with the others. Best thing you can do is go to the doctor. Good luck!
  • cranberrycat
    cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Assuming everything is ok with your health, I would encourage you to look at your diet. I can't see your food journal, so I am just going to give you some suggestions based on what I have experienced in the past.

Take a hard look at the types of carbohydrate that you are eating. If you are eating foods that are highly processed, full of starch, lots of high-carb sweets, etc, this could be the culprit. Many people are less able to tolerate these more concentrated sources of carbohydrate, especially in large quantities. What happens is that these foods are spiking your blood sugar, and then causing your insulin levels to soar. What results is lethargy/tiredness.

To fix this problem, start eating whole foods, veggies, fruits (berries are great), and if you have to have some of the more concentrated carbs, limit them to about 25% of the total carb in your meal.

It is easy to do, just eat some protein at every meal (about the size/thickness of the palm of your hand), and then fill your plate with veggies and some fruit. Add a dash of fat, and you are done.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    so there's a whole host of possibilities to why a person can be consistently tired. It could be as simple as nutrition deficiencies, or it could be a condition like (as mentioned above) sleep apnea or something more obscure like restless leg syndrome or restricted airways (even if you sleep a lot, if your sleep is not deep it's not restful, which can leave you tired even after 8 or more hours). Other possibilities are hormonal conditions (also mentioned above), or excessive stress which can lead to fatigue. These are just a few of the common reasons, there's many more possibilities.

My recommendation would be to go to your PCP and ask for a referral to a sleep lab. If the lab comes back clean, then I would go to your doctor and check your nutrition and hormone levels. If all that seems ok, then ask the PCP or the lab doctor what the next step would be.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    1. If you are really, truly fatigued - see your doctor
    2. If your calories are 1200 or lower, raise them
    3. If you eat mostly processed foods and have an intake of 1200 or less, start eating fresh fruits, veggies and lean proteins
    4. If you are really truly fatigued - see your doctor
  • mpaige1969
    mpaige1969 Posts: 52
    Options
    had a check up lately?...I felt the same way...I am 42 and my vitamin d was almost non existant! made a big difference!
  • Kris1997
    Kris1997 Posts: 241
    Options
    Thanks everyone for replying. I did open my diary for all to see. I know i eat too much sugar for sure, maybe too many carbs. Typically I eat anywhere from 1300-1600 calories a day, i think. Started doing the 30 day shred about 12 days ago. But I was tired before too. I have Dr. appt in July, this is a regular check up, but I plan on asking if maybe the meds (hormones) I am currently on might have something do to with being tired. I don't think I have sleep apnea. If anything I am thinking its either vit. def., thyroid or PURE LAZY! LOL thanks

If I sit still for 5 minutes and its quiet I.AM. OUT. zzzzzzz