Nerve damage - exercise helps?

Options
I have quite severe nerve damage left from the epidural I had when my daughter was born 12 months ago.

Nothing has been able to touch the pain, not even the pain blocker tablets I have been prescribed.

However, since I started swimming daily I have had less discomfort and improved feeling in my legs. Does swimming really help never damage or is it just coincidence? When I don't go swimming for a day or so, the pain is back as are the numb legs.

Replies

• trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    It's the movement. Spinal nerves (and the spine in general) like movement & oxygen. The spine was meant to move. I have chronic nerve pain and numbness in my lower leg and foot and have always said that if I could be in perpetual motion, life would be so much better. But that's not possible, so I try to get out and move every day. In my case, running is very helpful. It just depends on the nerves involved and the extent of irritation.

:flowerforyou: Hang in there. Nerve pain sucks. People who have never had it just can't understand how awful it can be (mentally as well as physically).
  • HannahsReturnToFitness
    Options
    Thank you. Its good to know I'm not the only one. Only trouble is I now have to swim every day!
  • HannahsReturnToFitness
    Options
    Bump!
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I wonder if yoga or other non-impact exercise (elliptical) would help... if it does, it may give you a little variety in your exercise/pain management.

I had some trouble with my sciatic nerve a while ago and the elliptical allowed me to exercise without pounding it by running. Yoga also does a good job of stretching everything out, perhaps relieving some pressure on the nerves.

Just some things that helped me get through. I really hope this is a temporary thing for you- we know it's not comfortable at all!
  • HannahsReturnToFitness
    Options
    Thank you, that is something to think about.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    swimming is by far the best exercise for things like back pain and nerve isues. The bouyancy the water creates takes away all the pressure on your joints.
  • TAMMYCLARK62
    TAMMYCLARK62 Posts: 102
    Options
    walking is also a great exercise as it is not to hard on you....just start slowly and in short periods....increase only if you feel you can....listen to your body for a guide....good luck
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I have quite severe nerve damage left from the epidural I had when my daughter was born 12 months ago.

Nothing has been able to touch the pain, not even the pain blocker tablets I have been prescribed.

However, since I started swimming daily I have had less discomfort and improved feeling in my legs. Does swimming really help never damage or is it just coincidence? When I don't go swimming for a day or so, the pain is back as are the numb legs.

That's terrible. You get told about the risks of epidural but I haven't known anyone left with issues. When they inject it its quite scary.
    Movement encourages the circulation and will definitely help.
  • WandaVonDunajew
    WandaVonDunajew Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Its definitely not a coincidence! I had a disc hernia 2 months ago that was pretty severe, and left me with a paresis in my left foot. All my leg muscles were reacting weirdly and then showed signs of hypotrophy and I had some nerve stimulation (electric) and Vitamin B shots for 2 weeks for recovery (those should help too, but they are extremely painful!). Until I restarted physiotherapy (Basically a type of Pilates), my nerve was impaired in terms of proper response, with pain at movement. So very slowly I started working out(yoga, pilates is really really good), with a side of swimming (especially on the back for lower back issue) and there ya go, I felt better everyday. Im now trying to get back to my normal activity level, started couch 2 5 k, 30 DS and keep on doing my back exercises and swimming. I bought really good shoes and now I feel awesome. Just take your time and swim as often as you can! Take care!
  • HannahsReturnToFitness
    Options
    Thank you everyone.