Do you lie about studying?

Options

Replies

• KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    I was always a #4. Never really studied and somehow developed mad test-taking skills and strategies. I know how to work a test, lol.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    #2 and #3. Sorry....
  • charmingtrouble
    charmingtrouble Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I don't lie, I procrastinate like crazy though and manage decent scores...it's 6am and now I'll go back to studying for my 4pm final today :grumble:
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I never saw much point in 2 and 3. Either you study or you don't. Why lie about it either way?
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Lucky enough to be a #2 with a semi-photographic memory :)

But I claimed to be a #3 to all my teachers haha
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I look back on college and wonder how I ever passed. I can only remember studying 5 or 6 times. The crazy thing is I was on the Dean's Honor Roll twice (3.5 or higher GPA) and the President's Honor Roll (4.0 GPA) once (would have been twice but my last semester I only had 8 hours and you have to have 12 to qualify).
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I figure you either know it or you don't. No sense in wasting time trying to study.

Lol. This-kind of. I was a 4.0 student all through out college and rarely studied. So I guess Im #4- the one who absorbed all the info while in class. :)

I was one of these, too. While the teacher droned on and on, I was reading the chapter.
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm secret option 4 - I do actually study but it doesn't look like it. My last three months at uni, I did a helluva lot of revision, yet my mate's recollection is just that I never seemed to do any work, played hide and seek and dared him to run across the chairs in the cafeteria.

But hey, breaks are important! Even now I work in 20-25 minute bursts and then have a mooch for 5-20 minutes in between!
  • suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I study the day of the exam for about 30-60 mintues, freak out, but then I always get A's.

I have a photographic memory though and I take killer notes in class and pay close attention.

I am a mom of 2 small children, I have no time to study and the free time I do have it's the last thing I want to do.

^^^^This is my story too!
  • Kailel
    Kailel Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I never really studied, so I'd say I didn't. I'd study maybe an hour, tops, for all of my finals combined. Did a lot of dramatic literature courses and would skim 1 out of every 10 or 15 pages to remind me which play was which (and give me some semblance of textual quotes) so I could write those final essay questions... always made As... or a really high B.

I discovered in first year university that studying actually makes me do *worse*, because focusing on how much material I have to know actually sends me into panic attacks and my mind freezes/blanks. Just another of many ways that I function completely the opposite way of what is considered proper. :grumble:
  • ScientistStudy
    ScientistStudy Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm the person who works their butt off and revises for exams but still comes out with mediocore marks :( I go blank in exams.
  • taratam83
    taratam83 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    #1, I study my butt off and usually make a great test grade. Though, there have been times where I wasn't able to study and I still did relatively well, on the flip side, during a physical science course I took I did not have time to study and I got a 64 on the 4th exam :( Usually, time and kids permitting, I am the person who make flash cards and study's every night for 3 or 4 days before the test :)
  • katenmills
    katenmills Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    In high school, I was always the never study type but I would admit I hadn't... and then I'd get top marks. I cruised through my high school certificate and even first year of University with no study but completing all the work. However, 2nd year of University (i'm doing chemical engineering), shock of my life - showing up to lectures was no longer enough. Content was too hard to learn by just listening once.... I now have to go over things a lot and practice LOADS of questions just to get a solid grasp on everything... sigh!
  • Killing_Perfection
    Killing_Perfection Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I was always a lazy person that never did anything at school. I sat there, more or less absorbed the teachers' ramblings and did well in tests. Now that I'm at university that's no longer an option. I try hard to study every day, but still manage to screw up sometimes. I blame 1/3 ADD; 1/3 laziness; and 1/3 on the difficulty of the subject I study.

There's no point in lying about how much you study. I really admire people that study a lot, I envy those that don't have to lift a finger and still get good grades, and I can relate to the people studying as much as I do.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I never really studied, and wrote the majority of my papers the night before they were due. LOL Graduated cum laude so I must have done something right.
  • foxbat2828
    foxbat2828 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    As a professor, I can say that, in the end, it doesn't really matter what you say you did, but how you performed. Not sure why students lie about studying either way ... in the end, it ends up being about being able to perform.
  • HeatherLeahxx
    HeatherLeahxx Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    As a professor, I can say that, in the end, it doesn't really matter what you say you did, but how you performed. Not sure why students lie about studying either way ... in the end, it ends up being about being able to perform.

As a student , I have noticed there is A LOT of competition. Some students feel the need to lie about studying. By doing this, other students get the idea into their head that if their best friend isn't studying, then they don't feel the need to study either. I've witnessed friends do it to each other just so they could get ahead. It's sad and quite pathetic.
  • missball
    missball Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm a 1.
    I study, and it's got me pretty far qualifications wise.
    Not studying but still doing well may work in school, but it certainly won't once you hit Uni.
    I don't understand 2 - why would studying be something to hide? Sure it's a sign of taking pride in yourself and your future.
  • foxbat2828
    foxbat2828 Posts: 391 Member
    Options

As a student , I have noticed there is A LOT of competition. Some students feel the need to lie about studying. By doing this, other students get the idea into their head that if their best friend isn't studying, then they don't feel the need to study either. I've witnessed friends do it to each other just so they could get ahead. It's sad and quite pathetic.

Ultimately the student has learned two valuable lessons in that instance ... 1) success is driven by your own efforts and not by what others around you might be doing or might not be doing with regard to their own success and 2) be very, very careful in picking your friends.
  • Megs081211
    Megs081211 Posts: 150
    Options
    Depended on the subject (like Genetics) but most of the time number 1. there were some subjects I never studied and I still did AWESOME (most basic courses, especially math).