Treadmill or out doors?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes I did get fitted at a shoe store, they took video of me running on the treadmill plus all of my foot measurments, I tried shoes on that were best for my feet and stride- I will never buy running shoes again w/o doing this first!
    I knew the impact would be differant running outside (I run on a sidewalk) I just want to get the most out of my work out, thats why I want to know if it is a better work out....am overthinking it? Is it all the same?

When you take personal preference out of the equation, I doubt one is really much "better" than the other form a fitness standpoint. Both will give you a good workout.
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    I'm a walker, not a runner, but I'm also of the "treadmill is boring" camp. I live at the ocean, and I have a long wooden pier that I do laps on for my daily walks, but I also do occasional longer hikes on asphalt on the nearby beach trails. Both walks are essentially flat, but I definitely notice the difference between walking on wood vs walking on pavement.
  • DonttrythatwithME
    DonttrythatwithME Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    much prefer outdoor running for some reason it hurts my shins less being outdoors than inside (post quad break of tib and fib)

i had avoided running just for the pain i had but it eases outside
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I have yet to start running. :drinker: to all of you that do.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Once you get your legs and lungs accustomed to the difference, I don't see how one would choose a treadmill over running outside.

It's this:
    treadmill-view.jpg

vs THIS:
    IMG_0424-640x427.jpg
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I don't jog or do any kind of distance running. I only do sprinting intervals. That being said, I prefer outdoors because I have a tendency to fall off treadmills. I do NEED a flat, level piece of ground to be able to do it on as I lose my footing way too easily to be able to run over any kind of uneven surface or up or down any kind of hill.
  • placebomonkey
    placebomonkey Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your body is giving you your answer here :). I prefer outdoor running myself and i always think of it like this the ground outside doesnt move underneath you, you physically push forward where as on a treadmill I always feel like I'm just picking my feet up? I will probably be slated and shot down in flames for this but can't help feeling its a better work out outdoors :) x
  • AveryWays
    AveryWays Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Definitely outdoors! I can barely do 3 miles on a treadmill :sad: but when I'm out run/walk/jog intervals outside I can easily do 8-9 miles with ease.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I can only run inside on a treadmill with a supportive base deck (none of those cheapy ones you can get at Wal Mart for $100 or less). I have steel rods in my spine and I tried running outside one time.. I thought my ortho surgeon was going to have a coronary when I told him. I NEED the support of the treadmill base to absorb the shock as my body can not handle it.

However, I will tell you - I was quite sore the day after I ran outside.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Outside all the way. But yes I have found that running outdoors is "harder" on your body at first. Treadmills are convenient I guess but you never have to wait for an empty road.
  • mecmic
    mecmic Posts: 45
    Options
    +1 for running outside. Few things bore me to tears faster than running on a treadmill. I'd rather run 20m outside than 5m on a treadmill.

I'm with you on this one Brother , it's real easy to give up and hop off a treadmill and head to the couch, but man o man being 4 miles in and no where near home , That is great stuff. Plus I love being outside and enjoying mixing up the runs.
    I use the treadmill as well but usually because of the weather.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Once you get your legs and lungs accustomed to the difference, I don't see how one would choose a treadmill over running outside.

It's this:
    treadmill-view.jpg

vs THIS:
    IMG_0424-640x427.jpg

Truly pictures are worth a thousand (or however many you want) words.
  • kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I think outdoors is probably better overall but I switch it up - some days I just don't want anyone to see me so I hide in my basement and do the elliptical, rainy or super hot days I do the treadmill at the gym, other times I just feel like flying out my front door and down my road. Just keep moving, that's the only thing that matters. Do what you like to do and you'll do it more often.
  • tjmbellsouth
    Options
    Anything out doors is the best. I was adicted to treadmills, stationary bikes and elipticals. It use to kill me when I missed the gym, having to work late, out of town on business etc. Now all I need is my shoes and decent weather, 45 min -1hour and turn off my pnone, when it rains I can always find an inside stairwell and do 20-30 min or find a gym if one is nearby. Change up your routes too, Out doors is never boaring no mater where you are.:smile:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    A lot of people call it "running" when they use the elliptical because it's sort of a similar motion but the BIG difference is that there is no impact on the elliptical. When I first start running outside in the spring, my inner thighs and quads are really sore at first because of the impact, not to mention the natural inclides on my running routes. I'm thinking your body will adapt as you continue but maybe keep the distance and frequency of your runs low so you don't injure yourself and increase both slowly every week (I've heard 10-15% is a good level).

I'm not sure where you're getting your calorie counts from but I would think you'd be more likely to burn at least as many if not more, calories when you run outside than what you get on the elliptical. If you're getting the count from the machine or MFP, keep in mind that these are guesstimates based on limited info.
  • dennismacdonald
    Options
    I feel we are not using all the same muscles when we treadmill that we do when we run outdoors. (Same goes for fast walking.) I feel same as you regarding outdoor running being a tougher workout. Now I only run outdoors. (Five miles a day 7 days week for the last year. Prior to that, several years of walking outdoors and running treadmill.) Your shoes are very important as is keeping hydrated when you run outdoors. Do what you enjoy most but know and act on your limits or you can hurt yourself and be unable to enjoy any type of cardio.
  • Lifting_chick
    Lifting_chick Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    outdoors it is nice to be out of the gym
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    ...when it rains I can always find an inside stairwell...

Why not just keep running? You are going to shower when you get done anyway, right? Rain is only water. :)
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Once I got myself outside, I found that I really hated being on the treadmill. I've gone to the gym in the last weeks and I could barely make myself go three miles. Outside I've been doing longer more satifying runs. I've found that I especially love running in the rain as long as it isn't freezing.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I started on a treadmill myself and made the huge error of not training enough outdoors before running my first 5K in 2009.

The bio-mechanics are different - outdoors you don't have the treadmill mat propelling you which is why you felt sore.

Once I made the tradition to outdoors, though, running became far more enjoyable (I'm very lucky, I have some very nice recreational paths literally footsteps from my front door) and the only thing that will keep me indoors is freezing rain.

Give yourself time to adapt & have fun!