ladies : going off of hormonal birth control

Options
hey ladies ! (and I suppose any gentlemen that for some unknown reason have this knowledge?? who knows!)

I have been taking hormonal birth control pills ( Reclipsen .. a generic desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol tablet) for about 3 years. Before that I was on a NuvaRing but having trouble with breaking through during stress.

I am considering going off of my pills for the time being (unfortunately have no need for them :sad: ) and I was curious if any of you had experienced a significant loss or gain after stopping birth control. Was it worth it? Did it come back if you started again?

I wouldn't mind losing the extra lbs, but I also don't want to be unnecessarily taking more synthetic estrogen than I need which is my thinking behind it. What is your experience??

Replies

• bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    No experience here, but I'm interested if there is any response.
  • think48
    think48 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I just went off of mine 9 days ago. So far, no change in weight, but we'll see what happens in a month or so.
  • krbates84
    krbates84 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I was taking Mircette for approximately 1 year. I stopped taking it last fall and initially didn't see a big difference, but I have progressively lost weight since stopping it. It also effected my thirst. After getting off of Mircette I have noticed I drink a lot more water and before I never felt thirsty.
  • LauraJo08
    LauraJo08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I had been on birth control for 6 years, but decided this February that I didn't want the extra estrogen. I did not gain weight when I first went on birth control, and so it makes sense that I didn't lose any going off of it. I think that your reasoning for not wanting the extra hormones in your body when they're not needed is a solid reason to go off them, and losing a few lbs might just be a +.
  • Chenson2010
    Chenson2010 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just stopped them as well for similar reasons. I was on the generic for Loestrin for 2 1/2 years and in that time i gained 30lbs at least! i am since off of them and the only significant things i am noticing is my libido going back to normal and and my mood as well. but the weight loss is slow amd steady and i like that.