Using HRM for strength and circuit training

Options
I use a Polar FT7 and just got it recently. I usually do circuits that are a mix of cardio + strength.

For example:

20 secs: Burpees
10 secs: Rest
20 secs: Push-ups
20 secs: Shoulder press with sumo squat

And this goes on for about 10-15 minutes (one circuit). The question I have is, do I pause my session on my HRM during the 10 secs of rest that I have? Would it be more accurate?

I occasionally also do circuits from Nike Training Club (my favourite!). It is also cardio + strength. Some of their recovery sessions DURING the circuit can last up to a minute. Do I then pause my HRM during that rest?

This question is posed to weight training as well. Pause between sets or on the whole time?

Replies

• isazzzz
    isazzzz Posts: 95
    Options
    BUMPPPPPPP
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    HRM's aren't accurate calculators for calorie burn during strength training. Anaerobic training is different than aerobic training. Don't rely on the numbers because they will be grossly overestimated.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT7 and just got it recently. I usually do circuits that are a mix of cardio + strength.

For example:

And this goes on for about 10-15 minutes (one circuit). The question I have is, do I pause my session on my HRM during the 10 secs of rest that I have? Would it be more accurate?

I occasionally also do circuits from Nike Training Club (my favourite!). It is also cardio + strength. Some of their recovery sessions DURING the circuit can last up to a minute. Do I then pause my HRM during that rest?

This question is posed to weight training as well. Pause between sets or on the whole time?

Here is a thread that might be of help:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/588739-hrm-protocol
  • isazzzz
    isazzzz Posts: 95
    Options

For example:

Hmmm so I should only start the HRM when I am in the *zone*? How do I know what's my *zone*?
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options

For example:

Hmmm so I should only start the HRM when I am in the *zone*? How do I know what's my *zone*?

What do you mean by zone?