Who here is from the south?

Options

Replies

• megyak6
    megyak6 Posts: 9
    Options
    Mississippi Gulf Coast Girl......!~

Me too!!! Moved to Jackson a few years ago!
  • vance2804ibr
    vance2804ibr Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Um...is NC no longer considered the South? B/c I consider myself a born and raised proud Southerner.

Thank you I'm kinda offended that NC and SC are mentioned here for being southern. I am country and proud!
  • couponfun
    couponfun Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    If you miss nice people honey you need to come on back home. It's a different kind of nice that the north have. No offense to anyone from the north. Part of my family is from Pontiac, MI. Some really good people. But there is nothing like southern hospitality. I'm originally from GA as well.

^^^Truth! Southern accent mixed in with all these Yankees - I usually get "Aw! What a cute little accent. You must be from the South." Usually followed by "You're from Florida?!?!?! What the he@# are you doing HERE?"

Lord I ask myself that every single day. Ugh. But hubby's job is here, so got to follow the money.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Mississippi...unfortunately

Why's that? There is absolutely nothing wrong with Mississippi!
  • atldrew
    atldrew Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Dunwoody, Ga. Just north of Atlanta.
  • atldrew
    atldrew Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    By south I mean TX, LA, AR, KY, TN, MS, AL, GA, and FL. Just curious if we have any southerners on here...

South Florida here!!

I lived in Boca Raton for 12 years and let me tell you it is SOOO not the South. Southern most borough of NYC maybe.
    Sorry :flowerforyou:
  • sistahbigbone
    sistahbigbone Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    tejas
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note for all of you ragging on Florida not being a Southern state.

Florida does indeed have some massive Caribbean influences without a doubt. That is one of the things that make us unique. We can be very comfortable with the "hula girl" on the dashboard of a jacked up F-150 and we have no problem whatsoever taking an open water fishing boat towards the Bahamas with a mix of Haggard and Marley on the MP3 player.
    Florida was part of the CSA during the war of the Northern Aggression and while there was only one major battle fought here, the South won that battle.
    Let’s talk about alcohol for a minute. While probation usually brings up images of speakeasies in New York and Gangsters in Chicago, Florida was a haven for rum runners coming in from the Bahamas. As a matter of fact, that is how the Kennedy clan made their millions. Also, as a side note, my Grandfather moved down here to work for Capone during the probation times. That makes me a 3rd generation Floridian and a second generation native.
    What about all of that other Southern “stuff” that makes the South, well, “Southern”?
    Florida has some of the best Bass fishing around. Lake Okeechobee and, by extension, the Florida everglades is a haven for all kinds of freshwater game.
    Have you ever tried to see how good your 4WD will do in the Florida swamps? We pretty much invented the Swamp buggy and the airboat. (Both Southern staples.)
    Yes, we have had a second Northern invasion. Thanks to low taxes and mild winters, Florida has transformed from a sleepy little tourist state to a major powerhouse with an eccentric mix of
    • Polite Natives
    • Rude Northerners
    • Excited tourists
    • Apologetic Canadians
    • Ambitious Cubans
    So yes, today we might not be Southern in the classic central South Carolina sense but rest assured, we still have the soul of a Southerner.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    OMG it's so funny when we go visit my family up north and my husband asks for sweet tea in a restaurant, and the waitress just gives him this blank dumbfounded look! And then proceeds to bring him a pot of hot tea, and a glass of ice!
    Um exactly where "up north" are you visiting? I live in Massachusetts and I don't think I've ever been to a restaurant that doesn't serve iced tea. They may not have it pre-sweetened but they will bring you sweetener for it.

Oh, honey...have you ever tried to stir granulated sugar into cold liquid? It just don't work...you have to add it while the tea is hot so it will dissolve, then ice the tea. So technically, what the other restaurant is doing is more accurate.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    I'm a GA girl, though I just relocated to Philly. I miss nice people. :-(

I love Philly, but the people are RUDE RUDE!!!

What part are you living in? Manayunk is a nice area with fairly reasonable people.
  • couponfun
    couponfun Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note for all of you ragging on Florida not being a Southern state.

Florida does indeed have some massive Caribbean influences without a doubt. That is one of the things that make us unique. We can be very comfortable with the "hula girl" on the dashboard of a jacked up F-150 and we have no problem whatsoever taking an open water fishing boat towards the Bahamas with a mix of Haggard and Marley on the MP3 player.
    Florida was part of the CSA during the war of the Northern Aggression and while there was only one major battle fought here, the South won that battle.
    Let’s talk about alcohol for a minute. While probation usually brings up images of speakeasies in New York and Gangsters in Chicago, Florida was a haven for rum runners coming in from the Bahamas. As a matter of fact, that is how the Kennedy clan made their millions. Also, as a side note, my Grandfather moved down here to work for Capone during the probation times. That makes me a 3rd generation Floridian and a second generation native.
    What about all of that other Southern “stuff” that makes the South, well, “Southern”?
    Florida has some of the best Bass fishing around. Lake Okeechobee and, by extension, the Florida everglades is a haven for all kinds of freshwater game.
    Have you ever tried to see how good your 4WD will do in the Florida swamps? We pretty much invented the Swamp buggy and the airboat. (Both Southern staples.)
    Yes, we have had a second Northern invasion. Thanks to low taxes and mild winters, Florida has transformed from a sleepy little tourist state to a major powerhouse with an eccentric mix of
    • Polite Natives
    • Rude Northerners
    • Excited tourists
    • Apologetic Canadians
    • Ambitious Cubans
    So yes, today we might not be Southern in the classic central South Carolina sense but rest assured, we still have the soul of a Southerner.

This plus 1 billion. :flowerforyou:
  • kimbly71
    kimbly71 Posts: 188
    Options
    I was born in Texas but raised in Kentucky almost my entire life. For those of you reading this thread that are not from the south, No, I did not marry my cousin and my parents were not related!:wink:
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    For those of you reading this thread that are not from the south, No, I did not marry my cousin and my parents were not related!:wink:

Lol. This gets so tiring, doesn't it? It's like assuming northerners are all rude. Or *kitten*. And surprise, we aren't all dumb either.
  • kimbly71
    kimbly71 Posts: 188
    Options
    For those of you reading this thread that are not from the south, No, I did not marry my cousin and my parents were not related!:wink:

Lol. This gets so tiring, doesn't it? It's like assuming northerners are all rude. Or *kitten*. And surprise, we aren't all dumb either.

So annoying! When my husband and I were stationed in Colorado I got the "How is that first pair of shoes workin' out for ya"? Somebody poke me in the eye...jeez!
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I am a displaced Yankee (according to my neighbors) living in north GA. Does that count??!
  • beccas27
    beccas27 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    <<<<<<< KENTUCKY ... Yes I have ALL of my teeth! :bigsmile:
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Surely, you just overlooked North Carolina. Because we North Carolininans are most definitely southern! :)

^ this.. NC born and raised.. moved to Cali at age 14 though
  • ktwest2107
    ktwest2107 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Northwest Florida, aka "Lower Alabama". Born and raised :)
  • Connie_Cupcake
    Options
    Texas!! But currently living in Arizona :(
  • tehdux0r
    tehdux0r Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Originally from TN, but have been living in AL for a number of years.