Clicking jaw when chewing?

Options
2»

Replies

• NikkiLS28
    NikkiLS28 Posts: 43
    Options
    My jaw issues started with popping. Then it locked one day (for just a few seconds, but it freaked me out). I got a night guard that I wore pretty regularly. Then I ended up with this weird splint thing I wore during the day. Eventually, my symptoms got better.

A few years later, out of the blue, I woke up one morning and one side hurt like you wouldn't believe. I had to fight with my insurance company to get the treatments covered because it straddled the line between medical and dental. The oral surgeon tried flushing out the joint with saline and steroids, but that didn't work. My jaw joint was very small. I ended up having the TMJ disc removed. It's certainly not an ideal solution, but it doesn't hurt anymore, though I still get some grinding and soreness occasionally.

I HIGHLY recommend getting a custom-fitted night guard from your dentist (not an over-the-counter one) and wear it religiously. This will allow your jaw structure to relax. Also, avoid hard to chew or really crunchy foods for a month or so - bagels, steak, etc.

This is what worked/works for me. Good luck!
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Likely TMJ.

My jaw has clicked and popped for about 25 years. I've never had pain or headaches. Only time I had pain is when a well--meaning dentist manipulated it. So .... I leave mine ALONE.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    My jaw issues started with popping. Then it locked one day (for just a few seconds, but it freaked me out). I got a night guard that I wore pretty regularly. Then I ended up with this weird splint thing I wore during the day. Eventually, my symptoms got better.

A few years later, out of the blue, I woke up one morning and one side hurt like you wouldn't believe. I had to fight with my insurance company to get the treatments covered because it straddled the line between medical and dental. The oral surgeon tried flushing out the joint with saline and steroids, but that didn't work. My jaw joint was very small. I ended up having the TMJ disc removed. It's certainly not an ideal solution, but it doesn't hurt anymore, though I still get some grinding and soreness occasionally.

I HIGHLY recommend getting a custom-fitted night guard from your dentist (not an over-the-counter one) and wear it religiously. This will allow your jaw structure to relax. Also, avoid hard to chew or really crunchy foods for a month or so - bagels, steak, etc.

This is what worked/works for me. Good luck!

Thanks for all the info.

At the moment I'm having to avoid things that can't be cut up in general because I simply can't open my mouth wide enough to take a bite out of a bagel or something like that. Sometimes I can, but sometimes I can't.
  • Promqueen_74932
    Promqueen_74932 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Sounds like TMJ. I have it and it's is awful! Talk to your dentist about it as soon as possible. They have TMJ therapy now to fix it! Been saving up for it. :bigsmile: I'm tired of not being able to sing without tremendous pain and soreness in my jaw the next day. :sad:

Sara :flowerforyou:
  • mikek333
    mikek333 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Not to be too picky, but the jaw joint itself is called the temperomandibular joint, or TMJ. Any problem with the joint is called temperomandibular dysfunction, or TMD. You have two TMJ's and a case of TMD. The first thing you should do if your jaw clicks, pops, or gets stuck is to quit chewing gum or anything chewy. Then see your dentist...it sound like you need an appliance to be made. (disclosure: I am a dentist)
  • beebee0925
    beebee0925 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I heard someone with what you have had to get their jaw surgically broken and reset to compensate the overbite or whatever it was that caused their jaw to click. :) sounds painful