I keep hearing this about MFP and logging exercise!

2»

Replies

• Establishedn1986
    Establishedn1986 Posts: 306 Member
    I have a polar FT4 and it gives me numbers way lower than MFP. Like you said, sometimes 100 cal.........and i work out hard. No standing around and dripping with sweat. I see a lot of people with crazy high exercise burns and i'm like, really???

^^^^this^^^^
    Me too! Im like 1000+????
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    The best way (not perfect mind you, but the best way we have) is to get a heart rate monitor with a chest strap to use during your cardio workouts. That will give you a more accurate calorie burn. I have a Polar FT7.

For what it's worth, when I got my HRM, my calorie burns were actually much higher than what MFP or the treadmill said. I believe because of my poor level of fitness and obesity. It seems to overestimate for more fit people.

I had the same thing. Everyone kept telling me that machines & MFP were OVER-estimating my calories, when really, they were UNDER-estimating my calories burned, also because I'm obese and hadn't exercised regularly in about 10 years.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    I have a polar FT4 and it gives me numbers way lower than MFP. Like you said, sometimes 100 cal.........and i work out hard. No standing around and dripping with sweat. I see a lot of people with crazy high exercise burns and i'm like, really???

I have a Polar FT4, and yes, really. Some people burn a LOT more calories than others. I burned 800 calories under 90 minutes yesterday doing a New Rules of Lifting for Women workout (Stage 2, Workout B2) with a 10 minute elliptical warmup, and 15 minutes of elliptical intervals after I lifted.
  • MrsLong1980
    MrsLong1980 Posts: 181 Member
    I've found HRM and MFP to be pretty much the same but like others have said - try to eat right instead of using calories burnt to eat more. I was following the MFP set calories but after reading about BMR and your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure - http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html) I now eat TDEE - 15% regardless of exercise and have seen consistent weight loss :)