You are not special!

Options
MFPAddict
MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
So what are your thoughts on David McCullough Jr.'s controversial "You Are Not Special" commencement speech? Personally, I love it.

Replies

• BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I thought it was excellent! I agree with it wholeheartedly.
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options

I find it crazy that it is even a controversary!
  • tquig
    tquig Posts: 176 Member
    Options

Too many "big" words and "challenging" references made it difficult for many people to understand? lmao.

The folks that hate it are the same ones that do not understand the sarcasm nor the deeper meaning.

I guess he could have simply said- "Stop standing there like the losers waiting for hand-outs from life, put in some hard work and make something of yourselves"
  • SlimSammy2012
    Options
    Great commencement speech. Problem is, they'll never understand it, let alone live it!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Love it, just hope those he was speaking to get it.
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Great commencement speech. Problem is, they'll never understand it, let alone live it!

THIS sadly......
  • Expialidojess
    Expialidojess Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I loved it. I have a teenage brother and he could use a big smack of "you're not special" upside the head.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Somebody had to say it.... We (as a society) keep pumping it into our kids heads about how smart and amazing they are just for doing things that is expected of them...
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    I see the "special snowflake" syndrome all the time in my students. I seriously hope that this speech would be a wake up call, but it probably won't be.
  • AwesomeMoJo
    AwesomeMoJo Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

I agree with you. There was nothing that he said that was offensive, or even wrong....it was very matter of fact and people can't handle it.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Can someone share a link so I can watch it? I'd be interested in checking it out.
  • musicgirl99
    musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Thought it was awesome!
  • musicgirl99
    musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options

Beautifully said!
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I think it was hilarious. I would have loved to see people's reactions. I did find it perturbing that a teacher would use "Is" instead of "are". *hand face*
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    People need to read or listen to the ENTIRE speech and not take one paragraph out of context. :smile:

The rest of what he had to say was much more interesting and inspiring.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I see the "special snowflake" syndrome all the time in my students. I seriously hope that this speech would be a wake up call, but it probably won't be.

if you read the entire speech, he goes on to say that people should follow their passions and everyone has the opportunity to become special in their own way...which I think is a different take than being a "special snowflake." It's unfortunate that the one paragraph was taken completely out of context and people are freaking out about it.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Bump for later :)
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I personally haven't heard it all.
    I'll just say kids these days are "soft" and need a dose of reality.
    Let's not hurt any feeling and such. Oh how special you are...let's give everyone a trophy.