Zumba and Calories

Options
I was curious as to whether an hour of Zumba really burns 700+ calories. I know my entire body feels the workout, but 700 calories seems a little high, especially when the exercise trackers says that aerobic dance only burns around 400 calories an hour. I don't dare to put the extra 300 calories in because I'd just be tempted to eat those extra calories...anyone know whether or not this is accurate?

Replies

• soloved1
    soloved1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Go to the site zumbacalories.com there is a calulator that will calculate calories burned according to your stats.

I hope this helps....

Lisa
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Obviously it varies from person to person, but when I wore a HRM to a zumba class I burned nearly 700 in an hour. I'm 145lb (was a little heavier at the time) and sweating like a beast at the end of my classes.
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    It has to do with how much each person weighs, determines how many calories that person is burning doing the activity most sites give you a estimate, so I think its smart for you to just put 400 calories, thats what I would do to be on the safe side. The best way to no is to wear a monitor that track your calories at your heart rate.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I use zumbacalories.com and sort of use the exercise calories on days where its hard to stay under and I haven't had any negative results from doing it. I would think if it was over estimated that I would see gains and I am not.
  • erinw1011
    erinw1011 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It does depend on your weight and the intensity of the class. Hard cardio supposedly burns 10 calories a minute (read that somewhere to use as an estimate.) I was logging 600 from zumbacalories.com before I got my HRM. When I wore it, I would get readings between 530-550 so not far off. BTW I was about 180-190 at 5'7" when I was getting those readings. 400 is too low but it's better to be under than over.
  • tam_a_ram_a
    tam_a_ram_a Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    thank you :)
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I'm close to 300lbs and HRM says I burn 852 calories :happy:
    Which is close to what zumbacalories.com says
  • Assassins_Angel
    Options
    Go to the site zumbacalories.com there is a calulator that will calculate calories burned according to your stats.

I hope this helps....

Lisa

DO NOT TRUST THIS SITE!!!! i used ot use it and since getting my HRM i found out it was rather out i am 257lbs at 5'6 and Zumbacalories said i burnt 840 cals for 50 mins i didnt i burnt 700, i recommend getting a HRM as its more accurate