Supplents discussion: CLA, L-Carnitine, HMB

Options
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any solid information on whether any of these supplements really work. Like most supplements, since they aren't FDA-approved, the language really couldn't lack more conviction: using this 'may promote' <insert goal, like reduce fat/build muscle> 'when combined with a reduced calorie diet and rigorous exercise.' Well ok, classic Coke could probably put that language on their label, and so could most donut makers.

A bit more about me and my situation: I've recently restarted P90-X, and I combine that with some pretty intense vinyasa yoga - I generally burn between 575 and 750 net calories a day (I use a HRM to track gross calories, and then convert to net). I generally work out at least an hour a day, 7 days a week. My goals: build strength, reduce fat. Oh, and I'm 44, and tho I don't believe I'm at all old, it's certainly something that needs to be factored in. Overall, I've been into lifting weights and exercising since my teens, but took a long break during my career-building years. Over the last few years, I've been getting more and more focused back on my health and fitness level.

So what about it? Anyone have any real experience using these over time in some type of a controlled way? Or any knowledge about recent studies that actually support some of the claims, vague as those claims are? I have no problem taking supplements (glutamine, BCAA's, creatine are all part of my regular regimen), but I don't feel like adding more if there's no real benefit.

All responses appreciated!

Replies

• MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Did some reading on CLA, and able to answer part of my own question... even WebMD recognizes the potential value of CLA:

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-826-CONJUGATED LINOLEIC ACID.aspx?activeIngredientId=826&amp;activeIngredientName=CONJUGATED LINOLEIC ACID
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Did some reading on CLA, and able to answer part of my own question... even WebMD recognizes the potential value of CLA:

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-826-CONJUGATED LINOLEIC ACID.aspx?activeIngredientId=826&amp;activeIngredientName=CONJUGATED LINOLEIC ACID

CLA is great stuff, if you happen to be a rat. If you're unfortunate enough to be human, not so much.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Studies showing little or no effect of CLA supplementation

Beuker F, Haak H, Schwietz H. , editors. CLA and body styling. Symposium: Vitamine und Zusatzstoffe; Jena (Thhr.) 1999

Kreider RB, Ferreira MP, Greenwood M, Wilson M, Almada AL. Effects of conjugated linoleic acid supplementation during resistance training on body composition, bone density, strength, and selected hematological markers. J Strength Cond Res. 2002;16(3):325–34

Malpuech-Brugere C, Verboeket-van de Venne WP, Mensink RP, Arnal MA, Morio B, Brandolini M, Saebo A, Lassel TS, Chardigny JM, Sebedio JL, Beaufrere B. Effects of two conjugated linoleic Acid isomers on body fat mass in overweight humans. Obes Res. 2004;12(4):591–8

Medina EA, Horn WF, Keim NL, Havel PJ, Benito P, Kelley DS, Nelson GJ, Erickson KL. Conjugated linoleic acid supplementation in humans: effects on circulating leptin concentrations and appetite. Lipids. 2000;35(7):783–8.

Salas-Salvado J, Marquez-Sandoval F, Bullo M. Conjugated linoleic acid intake in humans: a systematic review focusing on its effect on body composition, glucose, and lipid metabolism. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2006;46(6):479–88.

Von Loeffelholz C. Influence of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) supplementation on body composition and strength in bodybuilders. Jena (Thnr) 1999

Wang YW, Jones PJ. Conjugated linoleic acid and obesity control: efficacy and mechanisms. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2004;28(8):941–55

Zambell KL, Keim NL, Van Loan MD, Gale B, Benito P, Kelley DS, Nelson GJ. Conjugated linoleic acid supplementation in humans: effects on body composition and energy expenditure. Lipids. 2000;35(7):777–82

L Carnitine

Smith WA, Fry AC, Tschume LC, Bloomer RJ: Effect of glycine propionyl-L-carnitine on aerobic and anaerobic exercise performance. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab 2008, 18(1):19-36.
    http://www.jissn.com/pubmed/18272931

Brass EP: Supplemental carnitine and exercise. Am J Clin Nutr 2000, 72(2 Suppl):618S-23S.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/eutils/elink.fcgi?dbfrom=pubmed&cmd=prlinks&retmode=ref&id=10919968

Villani RG, Gannon J, Self M, Rich PA: L-Carnitine supplementation combined with aerobic training does not promote weight loss in moderately obese women. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab 2000, 10(2):199-207.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/eutils/elink.fcgi?dbfrom=pubmed&cmd=prlinks&retmode=ref&id=10919968

Raspberry ketones is based on a rat study that showed when fed 1-2% of their bw in raspberry ketones, they gained less fat then the control group while on a high fat diet
  • dusty8907
    dusty8907 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I have recently started ALCAR - Acetyl L Carnitine. I have noticed a fair amount of difference in just well being and feeling more alert than anything really. As far as a fat burner goes i don't neccesarily believe that junk, although i do think it helps to optimize the metabolism. Hope i helped
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Isn't CLA naturally found in Milk? Or am I on the wrong acronym here....
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Isn't CLA naturally found in Milk? Or am I on the wrong acronym here....

It is a naturally occurring trans fat found mostly in beef and diary
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    mmmm..... fat :)
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Acetyl-L-carnitine>>>L-carnitine. L-carnitine has crappy oral bioavailability, only the acetylated version has decent oral absorption.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Great feedback, thanks!
  • mindaugas789
    Options
    Hello,
    I need your all forum help.

I have option HMB or Acetyl L Carnitine. Who is better?
    HMB vs Acetyl L carnitine? For strength and fat loss!
  • Nige_Gsy
    Nige_Gsy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I used to take L-Arganine and L-Carnitine on a daily basis. Have noticed no reduction in weight loss, or muscle mass, since I decided they were too expensive and didn't appear to be giving results. So, my opinion (for what it's worth) is they're not worth it for the average person. But, they may work in combination with specific diets.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Throughout the years of trying many supplements, the only ones that did what was claimed were creatine and ephedrine. Everything else seemed like a waste of money. I do take fish oil caps and a multi when dieting.
  • KBSwinger
    KBSwinger Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Creatine is the best strength builder and good for the brain too. Fat burner wise? Nothing beats EC stack period.

I have tried carnitine and CLA they just made me poor!
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Just eat grass fed beef or better yet buffalo or elk. They should have CLA, L-Carnitine and Leucine(HMB is a metabolite of the essential amino acid leucine) in them.
  • mindaugas789
    Options
    To my, best supplements is CREAPURE creatine, because I notice energy, strength and muscle size with that more that micronized creatine. And another supplement,of course, is protein powder. I recommend whey concentrate, because there is about 2grams per scoop carbohydrates, that is needed for insulin spike to protein into muscle.

P.S. Omega 3 and vitamins is needed too.

I will try HMB and will post here what it give to me after 3weeks :D