Rock Climbing

Options
I've spent a couple weeks looking for info on rock climbing for minors and what age you have to be to go. My step daughter will be 10 in a couple of months and wants to go, but I'm unsure of how to go about looking for info on it. I've never been, but would love to go a few times before taking her. Does anyone know where I might find any information about it? I live about 2 hours outside of Seattle an we'd probably start her out at Mount Erie. Any tips/advice for new rock climbers is welcome :)

Replies

• azrose81
    azrose81 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My daughter will be three in a few months and already has a rock climbing harness!! She will start climbing in the gym soon. Are you wanting to take her climbing outdoors or indoors? If you plan on climbing outdoors I would start climbing with a guide especially since you have never been. There is a lot equipment needed and quite the investment. So better figure out she enjoys it before putting all the money into it. I don't rock climb due to being scared of heights but my husband is an avid rock climber!
  • azrose81
    azrose81 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Sorry, duh you said outdoors! Go to www.mountainproject.com to look up info on routes in that area. Might me able to find a guide on there too!
  • TGKvr
    TGKvr Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I know you said outdoors, but honestly I might take her to a gym first to see if she even likes it. Then you can look on (as mentioned above) mountainproject.com or rockclimbing.com. You could meet up with people there and/or just scout the routes available.
    If you're not experienced yourself, definitely go with people who are. Climbing is serious business, and in my experience kids tend to really love it and pick it up easily (most kids). There really is no age limit. I've had toddlers up to people in their 50's learning how to climb. The main thing is to get a properly sized harness - if you're in Seattle, I'd go over and checkout the flagship REI store where they have a big wall and lots of people that know what they're talking about that can help you with gear, advice, and possibly help organize a climbing trip.

There are few things that give such a great overall workout!
  • secondchance82
    Options
    I know you said outdoors, but honestly I might take her to a gym first to see if she even likes it. Then you can look on (as mentioned above) mountainproject.com or rockclimbing.com. You could meet up with people there and/or just scout the routes available.
    If you're not experienced yourself, definitely go with people who are. Climbing is serious business, and in my experience kids tend to really love it and pick it up easily (most kids). There really is no age limit. I've had toddlers up to people in their 50's learning how to climb. The main thing is to get a properly sized harness - if you're in Seattle, I'd go over and checkout the flagship REI store where they have a big wall and lots of people that know what they're talking about that can help you with gear, advice, and possibly help organize a climbing trip.

There are few things that give such a great overall workout!

I'm not in Seattle, about 2 hours outside (Island county) but we'll go to the store for gear. Thank you!
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Great workout!!!
  • TGKvr
    TGKvr Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Also, the advantage to going to a gym first: rental gear, a chance to see if it's something worth the investment, and perhaps the biggest perk of all, meeting locals that you can hook up with to get climbing outside. This is usually a better option than using a guide - for one, your gym climbing buddy is not going to charge you a fee to take you climbing. Two, it's usually more fun when you're just "hanging out" versus what amounts to being under someone's authority. Three, a lot of gyms have smaller groups that lead trips and even have "kid days" and such where your daughter can make some friends her age that are into climbing.
    Regarding gear: you may want to check out second-hand shoes. It may sound weird, but if your daughter is just 10 she'll be growing out of them fairly quickly. And get her a cute new climbing outfit. ;)

I'm biased, but I think climbing is one of THE BEST things to get your kids into. The awareness of the outdoors, the physical rewards, the appreciation for hard work , and it's just plain FUN. It's a great community in which to be involved.

Good luck! I'm sure she'll love it! And you will too!! :)
  • secondchance82
    Options
    Also, the advantage to going to a gym first: rental gear, a chance to see if it's something worth the investment, and perhaps the biggest perk of all, meeting locals that you can hook up with to get climbing outside. This is usually a better option than using a guide - for one, your gym climbing buddy is not going to charge you a fee to take you climbing. Two, it's usually more fun when you're just "hanging out" versus what amounts to being under someone's authority. Three, a lot of gyms have smaller groups that lead trips and even have "kid days" and such where your daughter can make some friends her age that are into climbing.
    Regarding gear: you may want to check out second-hand shoes. It may sound weird, but if your daughter is just 10 she'll be growing out of them fairly quickly. And get her a cute new climbing outfit. ;)

I'm biased, but I think climbing is one of THE BEST things to get your kids into. The awareness of the outdoors, the physical rewards, the appreciation for hard work , and it's just plain FUN. It's a great community in which to be involved.

Good luck! I'm sure she'll love it! And you will too!! :)

THank you so much for all your advice. I'm definitely going to check out the indoor climbing before we make the investment, too. :) She loves playing outside and always raves about rock climbing when we see groups of them at Mt. Erie climbing (while we are out hiking).