Replies

• kingkong123
    kingkong123 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Sounds like Planet Fitness.
  • casbar911
    casbar911 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I work out at a planet fitness and there are PLENTY of Skinny people there...
  • gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I don't like the statement that they will bring down morale, but the gym should be allowed to choose whoever they want to cater to. Similarly, I wouldn't have a problem if a gym catered only to skinnier people (although I feel like that may be a stupid idea financially).
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    So...if you lose weight you get thrown out? I'm not sure I understand the concept, or rather, I'm not sure they thought this all the way through.
  • kingkong123
    Options
    I work out at a planet fitness and there are PLENTY of Skinny people there...

I meant in a "shun people who have worked towards strength and fitness" kind of way, e.g., removing dumbbells heavier than 55 lbs and all barbell benches, "lunk alarm", etc.
  • kingkong123
    Options
    So...if you lose weight you get thrown out? I'm not sure I understand the concept, or rather, I'm not sure they thought this all the way through.

lol..."eat more and take it easier in the gym or don't come back."
  • missymuffet459
    Options
    That is why I LOVE my gym. It is a personal training gym. Even the trainers that are not working with me are so friendly and encouraging! It is such a great environment. Yes, there are those who have amazing bodies. However, there are also many who are there because we need help and we are all treated the same.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    when i work out, i'm there to work out. i couldn't begin to tell you the race or gender of those working out around me. b/c they don't really matter. i'm not there to socialize. i'm not there to feel like i'm part of a group. i don't care. i'm working out. i'm thinking about my form and my burn and could i be going harder and i'm probably mouthing along to the earbuds.

the idea that gyms are going to disallow anyone from giving them money is a finiancially poor one. it's one of the reasons i won't go to PF - they want a say in who works out and how. NO! ppl are there to sweat. take their money and shut up.

and quite frankly, if you're going to a gym to socialize and you actually ARE losing weight (i know there are some who can) then the idea that you're going to have to leave this support group when you hit goal is detrimental to reaching those goals.
  • gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options

Lol, I didn't even think of that (and as you say, it appears they didn't either)
  • calalily77
    calalily77 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I think its great that they are working out and doing what they need to do to get healthy! Though I don't think it is helping anyone to separate overweight people from fit ones. Everyone had to get there somehow. We all have to start somewhere, it should be inspiration to know that many fit people started out overweight and had to work hard to get where they are.
    I am curious how they decide when a person is too small to attend the gym. Is it a certain weight or clothing size? That seems odd to me. "Sorry ma'am, now that you have hit the ___ lb mark, you must find a new place to work out!" Doesn't seem right. Perhaps that person is not ever going to feel comfortable working out with others. Most people have insecurities about their bodies. Being a certain size doesn't necessarily mean that you are perfectly content. Those of us that are insecure with our bodies are there to improve just like anyone. I think it is unnecessary to have gyms that are only for a certain size or gender. Be proud that you are trying to get healthy. But we don't live in a perfect world and people will always judge.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    This is ridiculous. Stepping out of your comfort zone is the best way to make change in almost every aspect of your life. Not being shielded from what's uncomfortable.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    That's weird.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    That's ridiculous. On the other hand I'm not sure who'd be offended exactly.
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options

They're crazy to do this, once you reach your goal weight, you're let back into the wild where you'd join another gym because you no longer qualify as fat?

In a perfect world, they'd be out of business in a year.
  • abbybean11
    abbybean11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    i think it would be a better idea if they let whoever they want join the gym, but then they could have classes specifically for their overweight clientele.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    You know what, I kind of get it. The stories I have heard from people on here about how they were treated by complete strangers for being overweight is absolutely appalling. I have also seen it first hand with multiple friends of mine and it's really heartbreaking. I imagine it could be that much harder to go to a gym if you feel someone is just going to kick you down or tell you "whats the point" or something else insensitive. I completely understand the concept of having a gym strictly for people with a lot to lose...however, there are too many factors that play into discrimination. What is the accepted size or body fat % to get into this gym? What if someone just under these standards wants to go? What happens when you lose weight, are you kicked out? It boils down to reverse discrimination, as the article has said. And, this is wrong. Good concept in theory, but still discrimination. Perhaps this would work at a weight loss clinic, if the clinic had its own gym. See what I'm saying? It has to be more specific than "oh you're too skinny to join our gym."
  • RedHotHunter
    RedHotHunter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    My only real problem with this is: I'm currently "fat" and need to lose about 75 lbs. I go to this gym fat. Love the gym. Love the people. Do good and lose weight. Then one day someone comes to me and says "hey you look great, so dont come back here"

Yeah! Way to make me feel good. wtf?
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Looks like its a place for fat women to comiserate and make excuses for each other.

But I am all for free enterprise, so if they can make money off this more power to them.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    As others have said, I have no problem with this. I don't think it's wrong and I actually think it could make sense since it would likely get a lot more very overweight people hit the gym.

Once people start losing weight though, what do they do? Make them carry a picture of when they were fat around their neck so that others know that they've 'been there'?

To be fair, I'm guessing most people would want to start working out elsewhere once they became fit enough to do it...?

Interesting nonetheless...
  • think48
    think48 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Amazing. I love working out around all of the skinny fit women in my gym. I love watching what they do to find out some new moves as well as just using them as motivation to get moving. If everyone in the gym looked like me or was overweight, then I'd "fit in" and wouldn't be as motivated to change. I love all the skinny people in the gym - even the big boobed done up girls who don't work out but sit on the machines on their phones - even they are motivating to me, to look better and be healthier.