Too young for these sort of problems! Help!

Options
Hello!

My name is Heather, and I am a 20 year old woman with the joints and back of an 80 year old. My knees, hips, and ankles are extremely weak (two knee surgeries and still no improvement on pain), and I have a slight curvature in my spine as well as a pinched nerve from falling on the ice in 2009. Cardio is made even more difficult, as thanks to genetics, I am 'gifted' in the chest region.

I've gained 15 pounds in two weeks since being put on the medication Risperidol, which took me from already overweight to clinically obese. I'm doing my best to diet, but I know I need to start exercising.

Any suggestions on something low impact for such a large area of my body?

Replies

• casbar911
    casbar911 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Swimming would be the best option....
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    lol @ "gifted in the chest region"...........

Keep on keepin' on..........you got this.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Wow, you sound like me with the knee and joint issues. I know you don't like cardio, but have you thought about an elliptical. Basically no impact on the knees and you can go as fast or as slow as you want. I don't know much about the "gifted" issue since I am a whopping AA cup, but at least with the elliptical it solves one of your problems.

Regarding meds, I was taking something awhile back that caused weight gain. After a couple weeks of being on it and upping my water intake, all the weight came off.
  • starla5881
    starla5881 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    DEFINITELY water aerobics. It's the ultimate low-impact workout. And if you're part fish like me, very therapeutic. :-)
    Edit: I am also cursed with excess boobage, so I feel your pain. I can't do jumping jacks for fear of knocking myself out. :-/