How many calories should I eat for breakfast?

Options
For some reason, when I wake up in the morning, I am really hungry and I end up eating like 500-700 calories for breakfast. Is this normal?? What is the range of calories that I should be eating for breakfast? It seems like I get really hungry when I wake up and really hungry by the end of the day.

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    For some reason, when I wake up in the morning, I am really hungry and I end up eating like 500-700 calories for breakfast. Is this normal?? What is the range of calories that I should be eating for breakfast? It seems like I get really hungry when I wake up and really hungry by the end of the day.

As long as you can eat the appropriate amount of food by the end of the day, and as long as you feel fine and function fine on a given calorie intake per-meal, then you don't really need to worry about specific calorie partitioning for each meal.
  • Santa14
    Santa14 Posts: 14
    Options
    Well I Usually have a light breakfast like this yoplait, cereal, and some fruit,. At lunch I go HAM on it from about 500-600, then for dinner i consider it more like a light snack like cereal, but it can vary on how man calories you take at a time based on your specific needs.
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I usually eat about 250-350 for breakfast =) I leave a good portion for nighttime =)
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options

As long as you can eat the appropriate amount of food by the end of the day, and as long as you feel fine and function fine on a given calorie intake per-meal, then you don't really need to worry about specific calorie partitioning for each meal.

He does know what he's talking about.^^
  • kfox15
    kfox15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a exact "should" but rather finding what works for you. I used to eat only ~300 but I was starving by 10:00. I then added a morning snack at this time which really held me over and stopped me from wanting to overeat at lunch. This worked really well but I"m not always able to eat in the mid-morning because of my schedule. On these days I eat between 500 and 600 calories and I try to get at least 30g of protein (which I try for at every meal anyway). I find that eating a hearty protein filled breakfast can keep me full until noon or later. One of my go to meals is baked oatmeal which I add extra egg whites to to boost the protein. I also like fritatta alot so I make a big pan on Sundays and eat it all week. Another go to if I'm running late is a breakfast sandwhich with a whole wheat sandwhich thin, two eggs, and turkey sausage. Hope that helps!
  • xlolitabandita
    Options
    I could easily eat that much for breakfast! In fact, I find myself adding cheese or veggies to my eggs, and peanut butter to my toast to help bulk it a little...If this works for you, keep doing it! I really love eating a big, hearty breakfast and notice I get less hungry throughout my day if I do.
  • lacrimosia
    lacrimosia Posts: 39
    Options
    Thank You everyone!
  • JenniferLynWhat
    Options
    I usually eat around 500 calories..breakfast should be your biggest meal of the day *says my trainer* because it's giving you your fuel for the rest of the day. Enjoy your breakfast....but just know that it means lighter meals for lunch and dinner...Net Calories are what counts.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    My eating schedule:
    I eat a decent size breakfast (300-400 calories)
    small snack in between
    lunch (300-400 calories)
    small snack
    big dinner (500-700 calories)
    small snack
    **exercises are usually before or after dinner
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    If you are wanting to "save" some of those calories for later in the day, try drinking 12-16 ounces of water first thing when you get out of bed. It definitely helps me.
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options

He does know what he's talking about.^^

He's right on the money, unless you ahve some reason to eat more, like in my case I MUST eat a lot of calories at breakfast (usually about 400) otherwise my blood sugar dips really low and its difficult to recoupe it.

Denise
  • lacrimosia
    lacrimosia Posts: 39
    Options
    I don't think there is a exact "should" but rather finding what works for you. I used to eat only ~300 but I was starving by 10:00. I then added a morning snack at this time which really held me over and stopped me from wanting to overeat at lunch. This worked really well but I"m not always able to eat in the mid-morning because of my schedule. On these days I eat between 500 and 600 calories and I try to get at least 30g of protein (which I try for at every meal anyway). I find that eating a hearty protein filled breakfast can keep me full until noon or later. One of my go to meals is baked oatmeal which I add extra egg whites to to boost the protein. I also like fritatta alot so I make a big pan on Sundays and eat it all week. Another go to if I'm running late is a breakfast sandwhich with a whole wheat sandwhich thin, two eggs, and turkey sausage. Hope that helps!

The food choices sound good here! thx!
  • davidmcgowan1987
    Options
    My thinking is this, before a long trip do i put a little bit of fuel in my car and ignore the fuel warning light and poor performance (hunger and low energy) or do i put enough in to do the journey.

I know its an over simplification but its the way i think about it.

food in day 1 = energy out day 1
    energy out day 1 = food in day 2

and so on and so forth, this way i figure it keeps me in balance.
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    I try to keep my breakfast around 300 calories.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Depends on the day, but I usually have anywhere from 350-500. Sometimes more if I am eating more of a brunch. I like having a filling breakfast with a lot of protein each day!
  • tambrand
    tambrand Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    As the old saying goes breakfast is the most important meal of the day
  • nikkiw283
    nikkiw283 Posts: 90
    Options
    my breakfast varies between 200 to 400 calories. Usually on the higher end on weekends when I actually have time to make an egg white omelet stuffed with black beans and veggies. Work day breakfast is usually oatmeal or cereal and some fruit.
  • ericaforsure
    Options
    For breakfast I try to choose something really yummy that take a while to eat! Mango is a good one but if you're mega hungry why not try porridge! I have porridge with semi skimmed milk a drop of honey and a handful of raisins, seriously so good and will keep you full for hours! :-)
  • stacetherainbow
    Options
    One of my go to meals is baked oatmeal which I add extra egg whites to to boost the protein. I also like fritatta alot so I make a big pan on Sundays and eat it all week. Another go to if I'm running late is a breakfast sandwhich with a whole wheat sandwhich thin, two eggs, and turkey sausage. Hope that helps!

Do you have a recipe for baked oatmeal?? Sounds great

As for the breakfast question... My dietician recommends splitting my daily calories out evenly for meals and snacks. I aim for 1600 calories/day, so I have 3 meals for about 400 and two snacks at about 200 each. That being said, she also feels it's better to get my calories earlier in the day, so if I'm feeling hungry, I'll have a little extra protein in the morning to stop me from turning into the cookie monster at night! Good luck!
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    my breakfast is usually 1000 to 1300 calories...it all depends on your goals and plan..