How do you watch your sodium??

Options
amtru2015
amtru2015 Posts: 179 Member
I need to start monitoring how much sodium I eat but im not really sure how to do that....what advice can ya'll give me?

Replies

• jealous_loser
    Options
    Don't add salt to your foods, stay away from heavily processed foods and be careful in restaurants, they are sneaky with the soduim.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I need to start monitoring how much sodium I eat but im not really sure how to do that....what advice can ya'll give me?

Edit your Food Diary to include the sodium count (you can have up to 5 nutrients/macros show in the food diary). Then just watch what you eat for a few days so you know where the sodium is coming from, then adjust accordingly.
  • amtru2015
    Options

Edit your Food Diary to include the sodium count (you can have up to 5 nutrients/macros show in the food diary). Then just watch what you eat for a few days so you know where the sodium is coming from, then adjust accordingly.

Awesome thank you! definitely didnt know this
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    It's very hard to watch sodium. Everything has is it, but stay away from frozen food,canned soups,chips... I don't watch my sodium, mostly just calories. Just try and eat fresh foods, and not add extra salt to anything. I'm from new Orleans though, we like it spicy! Good luck my friend.
  • amtru2015
    Options
    It's very hard to watch sodium. Everything has is it, but stay away from frozen food,canned soups,chips... I don't watch my sodium, mostly just calories. Just try and eat fresh foods, and not add extra salt to anything. I'm from new Orleans though, we like it spicy! Good luck my friend.

Thanks girl, yeah i dont want to be crazy about it, but i know you retain alot of water weight if you eat alot of salt, I unfortunately love salt and I also love love love spicy! I could go for some good cajun gumbo right about now.
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options

Thanks girl, yeah i dont want to be crazy about it, but i know you retain alot of water weight if you eat alot of salt, I unfortunately love salt and I also love love love spicy! I could go for some good cajun gumbo right about now.

Yeah, gotta love gumbo, or some crab and corn bisque. I may try and cut back on salt too, bc I feel bloated lately!!
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Just try to eat as many whole foods as you can and limit processed ones. Soups, deli meats & frozen meals can be horribly high in sodium, just read labels. It doesn't mean you can't ever eat them, just try not to eat a lot. Drink a lot of water and eat foods high in potassium to help balance high sodium days.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The science behind restricting salt has been called into question lately, and avoiding it pretty tough. So keep in mind that calories and sugar are much more important things to monitor than salt. If all your macros and calories are nailed down tight, then sure, start monitoring salt too. But it should be lower on your priority list.
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I lick the salt off my potato chips to make sure I'm not eating it :-) Sowwy. I rarely add salt to foods, but it's everywhere!
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I set my MFP to 1,500 because I am very sodium sensitive. MFP had it set for 2,500 and that is too much sodium for my health issues. I learned the hard way about eating Campbells Condensed oyster soup it has over 2,000 sodium! Ouch figures it had to be a craving of mine so I ate it. Now my body is working at trying to get rid of it and in 1 night I gained 2 lbs of water weight. It can take me up 2 or more days to lose the water retention.