no more than 16oz soda nanny state or good thing?

Options
kamiAK
kamiAK Posts: 100 Member
What do you think about this proposed new law in NY about not being able to sell/buy soda bigger than 16oz? good or bad?

Replies

• veerichie
    veerichie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Yes I could see why it would be good. But couldn't people just buy 2, 3, or 4 sodas anyways?? Sometimes I worry about too much regulation on things.
  • bluegrasschica
    Options
    I kind of think that's crazy. Ha! Not that I drink a lot of soda but my dad drinks a lot and 16oz isn't very much.
  • sophie_wr
    sophie_wr Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    In France our biggest soda size is smaller than the smallest soda at the movie theater where I am going here in the US...
    no free refills...
    I dont know if it's a good thing to regulate it but I do remember how I was shocked by the american soda size !!
  • Medtech2004
    Medtech2004 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    While it sounds like a good thing it is just another freedom that we Americans are having taken away. If someone chooses the largest soda available that is their CHOICE! Just remember when you lose a freedom you rarely get it back... :grumble:
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    In France our biggest soda size is smaller than the smallest soda at the movie theater where I am going here in the US...
    no free refills...
    I dont know if it's a good thing to regulate it but I do remember how I was shocked by the american soda size !!

It's communist and I don't even drink soda.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Would we still get free refills? Lol.
  • namdle
    namdle Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    To preface, I'm a liberal, democrat, etc.

It's nanny state. People should choose to be healthy/unhealthy. They should choose to live or die.

If I'm pro-choice about bigger things than soda size, I believe in the choice to be stupid, fat, lazy, ugly, brilliant, fit, hard-working, and everything in between.
  • SlimSammy2012
    Options
    Politicians just think by making these stupid laws, they are really looking out for the "saftety" of citizens! Really? How about all the gangland murders and shootings! (Gotta check out the Chicago Murder rates this year!) We had a good wekend here...only 14 killed and I think it was 44 shot!
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    It's none of the governments business what I ingest healthy or not.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Stupid law. Bloomberg is an idiot!! Are they going to stop selling more than 1 pack of cigarettes a day, or will you not be able to buy more than a six pack of beer?

It'll never pass!
  • happythermia
    happythermia Posts: 374
    Options
    I don't care either way. But I think it's silly. WAY SILLY.

We have bigger fish to fry!
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Do the law makers have nothing better to do in NY? Should they not be concerned about crime and other meaningful things. It's not their job to be the fat police! Seriously??!!
  • stephenjmac
    stephenjmac Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes I could see why it would be good. But couldn't people just buy 2, 3, or 4 sodas anyways?? Sometimes I worry about too much regulation on things.

I think that's EXACTLY the point of this kind of rule. If you actually want to drink 16oz of sugary drinks you should have to make that choice and pay for it. Most people have the choice subconsciously made for them by the companies who are selling them the product. This really represents great consumer freedom and responsibility.
  • utoxin
    utoxin Posts: 14
    Options
    Should people drink that much soda? Nope.
    Should the state regulate it? Nope.

I stopped drinking soda except for very rare occasions back in February. I've had soda on maybe 4 or 5 occasions since then. And I'm much healthier for it. But I still vehemently oppose the government regulating it.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It's a silly regulation. Complete waste of legislation and time, that could actually be going to do something productive. Why not work on making healthier foods cheaper and easier to obtain, rather than telling someone they have to buy 2 16 ounce sodas instead of 1 32 ounce soda? It does nothing to change the problem. It's not even a bandaid for the problem.
  • Brizoeller
    Brizoeller Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    They can buy 2 and make it 32 oz! If someone chooses to ingest a soda larger than 16 oz that is their choice. I thought this was the "land of the free"...seems more like the "land with some freedoms and others the goverment will control for you" :)
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I think it's ridiculous. Isn't the government already dictating enough?
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    What do you think about this proposed new law in NY about not being able to sell/buy soda bigger than 16oz? good or bad?

I think it's bullshiit. How about I take care of myself, you take care of yourself and let the government stay the *kitten* out of our lives?
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    It's none of the governments business what I ingest healthy or not.

Indeed
  • gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I think it's ridiculous. Even if they said "no more than 160 oz" it'd still be ridiculous.

The government doesn't have to regulate every part of our life.

Furthermore, almost all, if not all, regulatory agencies constantly state "we need more regulation, not more laws." The regulatory agencies don't have the money or manpower to go after all of the people/companies breaking current laws, yet we spend tons of money and time worrying about passing more laws that regulatory agencies aren't able to enforce. Just think about it. Do you really want your tax dollars to pay for someone to go in undercover to see if they can get a restaurant to serve them too much soda?