Creepy Guy at Gym

Options
leslisa
leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
So there's this creepy guy at the gym who's started to work out when I work out. Usually not a big deal but it's sort of starting to freak me out.

Here's the deal. My gym is at work so I pretty much go during lunchtime. I start early and this guy shows up after me (no biggie, lots of folks have a schedule they follow for working out during lunch). But the thing is, he's always near me, really near me.

Seriously, if I'm on the treadmill he'll get on the one beside me, even if there is another open (and go really slow). When I'm on the elliptical, he'll get on the one beside me even if there is one open on the other side of the gym (he always does the same cardio as me, regardless if I switch it up).

When I finish cardio and move to sit ups, within two minutes, regardless how long he's worked on cardio, he starts stretching near me. When I go straight to stretches from cardio (yes, sometimes I skip my sit ups), he also stretches beside me, even though it's a totally different location from the sit up bench. When I go into the ladies' locker room, I hear him go into the men's locker room right after (a lot of times it's just the two of us - not many folks use the gym except on class days).

I know I'm over reacting, but I'm startin' ta get the friggin' heebeejeebees. BTW, he's older than me (I'm a 42yo woman), kind of creepy looking and I am married. And yes, I know, don't judge a book by it's cover and all that stuff, but I am starting to feel very uncomfortable.

I'm thinking of changing up my schedule next week (work out an hour earlier or later) to see if he changes his schedule, too...

Replies

• kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I dont think u are over-reacting that would def bug me!!!!
    It seems to change your schedule is your only otpion...sucks because of an annoying bonehead u have to change things up

good luck
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Eat some foods that will make you really gassy and fart a lot while you exercise and see if that does anything to deter him. :laugh:
  • GabrielleZelda
    GabrielleZelda Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    That would definitely creep me out, too!
    Most likely though, he is following your routine because he wants results and might not know how to achieve them as you have.
    I've watched people at the gym on many occasions, copying their routines - but never actually followed them step by step.
    If it is that much of a bother, definitely try and switch up your work out time! But honestly, he probably just doesn't quite know what to do so he's following you in hopes of getting a good work out :).

At best, it is a compliment! At worst, it's a bit annoying.
  • everytree
    everytree Posts: 127
    Options
    That would freak me out too. Sorry.
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Eat some foods that will make you really gassy and fart a lot while you exercise and see if that does anything to deter him. :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    He sounds great. Give him my number!
  • leslisa
    Options
    That would definitely creep me out, too!
    Most likely though, he is following your routine because he wants results and might not know how to achieve them as you have.
    I've watched people at the gym on many occasions, copying their routines - but never actually followed them step by step.
    If it is that much of a bother, definitely try and switch up your work out time! But honestly, he probably just doesn't quite know what to do so he's following you in hopes of getting a good work out :).

At best, it is a compliment! At worst, it's a bit annoying.

If that's the case, he needs to do the same ab work as me. He definitely has a "trouble" area there. Whereas my abs look pretty darn good :blushing:
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    talk to gym employees about it?
  • leslisa
    Options

Broccoli here I come!!!

• leslisa
    Options
    talk to gym employees about it?

We don't have any but the paid instructor who does the classes and she is really powerless. The gym is cleaned by housekeeping and the folks who use the gym. It's sort of self serve (but I'm not complaining, it's super, super convenient!)
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    i feel your pain...there is a creepy guy at the pool i go to for lap swimming...everytime i move lanes he keeps moving near me and then tries to give me some wild story...lol....i have started going on days that i know he hopefully won't be there...if it gets worse i will be talking to the staff.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Let the guy live a little. He's not doing anything. He might be filling his memory banks to use for personal purposes later, but no harm done. Let him be.
  • SewLindaAnn
    Options
    Would creep me out too. How about saying in passing something like, "hey looks like we've had the same workout schedule for awhile, how is it working for ya?" see what his reaction is to your questioning him. Keep it light and non-threatening. If he keeps it up I would try a different schedule too. Hate that we have to change our schedule to accommodate people getting a little too close.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Conveniently take your cell phone with you and have your husband call during your routine. Be sure to say a lot of things to indicate you're not on the market such as "Love you, will see you tonight honey" or "What do you want to do for dinner tonight" or "Yes, I can pick up some milk on the way home".

Or heck, have a co-worker call you and pretend, if your husband can't.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Let the guy live a little. He's not doing anything. He might be filling his memory banks to use for personal purposes later, but no harm done. Let him be.

Hence why he goes into the locker room at the same time....savor the moment :ohwell:
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Hence why he goes into the locker room at the same time....savor the moment :ohwell:
    Exactly! No harm, no foul.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    maybe he thinks you're the creepy one doing all the same exercises as he is!

edit: but to really find out, i think you're on the right track to switch it up.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Sorry I thought we were friends, I'll leave you alone.
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options

problem solved
  • adet983
    adet983 Posts: 138
    Options
    i wouldnt really worry until he starts coming up behind you and sniffing your kneck and saying in a deep voice mmmmmmm...anything before that hes harmless